08 Clutch slip

hadies

Registered
Ok befor i replace the clutch disks i wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas, just got my 08 Busa and love it, today the clutch started sliping only when it was at operating temp, when it is cold it dosent slip, but busas dont stay cold long lol, i took the cover off and inspected the disks they dont look burnt or warn out, i planed on replacing the clutch anyway just hoped to make it a few rides befor i had to replace it, i did an oil change when i first got the bike with mobile 1 MX4T 10-40, any ideas out there or is it just drop a new clutch in?

Ok befor i replace the clutch disks i wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas, just got my 08 Busa and love it, today the clutch started sliping only when it was at operating temp, when it is cold it dosent slip, but busas dont stay cold long lol, i took the cover off and inspected the disks they dont look burnt or warn out, i planed on replacing the clutch anyway just hoped to make it a few rides befor i had to replace it, i did an oil change when i first got the bike with mobile 1 MX4T 10-40, any ideas out there or is it just drop a new clutch in?

I suspect the previous owner did not treat the bike as I would have!

that thought crossed my mind too, the disks look good tho, but if that is the case it fell into good hands i am religious about maint. getting ready to tear down the forks and shock i got new springs for my weight and race-tech valve kits for them so going to put new seals and oil in while im at it, and now the barnet clutch i ordered for it. treat the vehicle right and they will take care of you

Mobile 1 MX4T 10W40 is a fully synthetic oil. I had an oil change for my K8 Busa yesterday at my local dealer and wanted to use 10W40 fully synthetic oil too. The experienced mechanic told me not to do regarding the possible slipping of the clutch and advised me to use the semi-synthetic one.

Mobile 1 MX4T 10W40 is a fully synthetic oil. I had an oil change for my K8 Busa yesterday at my local dealer and wanted to use 10W40 fully synthetic oil too. The experienced mechanic told me not to do regarding the possible slipping of the clutch and advised me to use the semi-synthetic one.
Oh God...here we go again...! If I hear one more report of an "experienced" mechanic saying synthetics won't work with a wet clutch, I will, well, to be honest I won't do anything at all!

Oh God...here we go again...! If I hear one more report of an "experienced" mechanic saying synthetics won't work with a wet clutch, I will, well, to be honest I won't do anything at all!

Agree! I use fully synthetic Amsoil in a stock clutch and run a 1.41 60ft. It's not slipping because of synthetic oil. That 'experienced' mechanic is uninformed!:banghead:

Just because your clutch "Looks Good" doesen't mean it is worth keeping. The only way (that I know of) to rule out the clutch plates/fibers is to pull them out and measure them. Stack height for a stock Gen II clutch set is 2.00. Measure the stack height and you will be closer to your answer. :thumbsup:

Get another mechanic and keep the MX4T. Seriously!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both myself (on my old 03 Busa), and a buddy with an 07 experienced weird clutch slip issues after changing the oil to Shell VSX4. I replaced the discs, which were as new and changed to Motul oil.. no more problems. My budy just changed his oil to Motul and no more problem!! I'm not starting the whole Synthetic V Non Synthetic thing but the clutches do seem sensitive to certain oils/additives.

I think its safe to say once you find an oil that performs the way you like, its worth staying with it and not swapping brands.

Cheers.

Back