Do you use WD-40 to Clean Chain?? Need Chain Info???

Ray! Good to see ya, Bro! Nice set up with the center jack. I like it! You know,, I HAVE USED ONE OF THOSE TRI-SIDED BRUSHES! (sorry,, was yelling there :laugh: ) So, cool! Like those brushes. Quick in and out, for sure!

its called a grunge brush. they are like 15 bucks for the brush and some tree hugger friendly cleaner. the cleaner is kinda expensive, but it does work pretty well. the one i bought was about 10 yrs ago, so they prolly cost abou 150 bucks now:poke:...but they do work efficient and good at cleaning all parts of the chain. lockheart phillips used to sell them. i know they are still available.

17k on the stock chain sprockets and it is still golden. Never been touched by anything but WD40. :bowdown:

To actually clean it I will hose it good and use a grunge brush then follow up with a toothbrush to get in between the side plates. Then flush it once with a good shot of WD40 and then give it a very thorough wipe down followed by a light shot of the WD40 golden goodness and I walk away smiling! :beerchug:

Ray! Good to see ya, Bro! Nice set up with the center jack. I like it! You know,, I HAVE USED ONE OF THOSE TRI-SIDED BRUSHES! (sorry,, was yelling there :laugh: ) So, cool! Like those brushes. Quick in and out, for sure!

Cookie, JUST SO YOU KNOW (sorry, I was talking too loud) the whole bike is hanging from the rafters! The jack was for a tiny lift adjustment....I was switching out swingarms. Whew, talked my way out of that one!

P1010087.JPG

P1010088.JPG

P1010089.JPG

Cookie, JUST SO YOU KNOW (sorry, I was talking too loud) the whole bike is hanging from the rafters! The jack was for a tiny lift adjustment....I was switching out swingarms. Whew, talked my way out of that one!
Ray is that a Trac arm? How many over? Sorry I see it's one of C. Mikes arms.

Last edited:
I used kerosene for the first time to clean my chain... works great with a paint brush. Becomes as good as new. clears out all the gibberish, lube marks diminish in seconds. I am also trying this new chain lube from Suzuki. It says it's O-Ring friendly, it's a spray on, shoots out foam grease, settles in well and lubricates evenly. almost 10$ a can. I took a pic so u guys see what it looks like in case you interested.

lube.png

maybe a dumb question here but i'm still new to my bike. I have put 3k miles on the bike since i've had it apparently after reading this i'm overdue for a chain cleaning.

do i need a bike stand to do this properly?

maybe a dumb question here but i'm still new to my bike. I have put 3k miles on the bike since i've had it apparently after reading this i'm overdue for a chain cleaning.

do i need a bike stand to do this properly?

It really is a necessity, both for lube and cleaning. I hate it when at a motel (few days out) and have to walk the bike across the parking lot to lube the chain, 12 " at a time, but it must be done. I'm going to look into one of those one legged removable centerstands for traveling....anyone reading this ever tried one? Raydog

P1000370.JPG

Last edited:
so i went to the dealership after reading all of this and got the chain wax and chain cleaner.
us.jpg

can i use a tooth brush or will a wire brush be better? I'm assuming the chain has never been cleaned. Bike had 1800 miles on it when i got it so i dont know about prior but i know i havent done it. Newbie inexperiance. it has 3900 on it now.

Last edited:
Have any of you guys pulled the sprocket cover after a year, or two of kerosene ????......not to mention the cleanup ????........

wow.....definately something i will keep maintained now. i scrubbed it down real good with a tooth brush and wiped with a shop rag. after about 20 minutes of scrubbing and rolling the bike from one end of the carport to the other(i have no stands) it looks great. time for the chain wax!

Before:
bike001.jpg

After:
bike004.jpg

Before:
bike002.jpg

After:
bike003.jpg

heading back out to make sure its all cleaned and then take it fora ride to warm up the chain for the chain wax. thanks again to the .org family!

Last edited:
how long should you wait until you wash the bike at all? i know it says on the can let it set 15 minutes before riding. figure an hour or so?

How's the fling?

Fling not much, but never used anything that is fling free. But I found this to be better than others i've used. after spraying I clean with a rag the areas which dont necessarily need the lube. The lube is required mainly for the joints + o-rings, so I wipe the outside of the chain a bit to get the excess off. Then after I let it settle in, I go for a quick ride (sometimes do that the next day) and wipe out the excess fling off the wheel, then you'll be riding clean fling free til your next pit stop! Works for me! :thumbsup:

So if Kerosene is the way to go, could you also use Diesel fuel?

I use diesel--it's just about the same as kerosene. Plus--my brother owns a big farm, so I get it for free (I rob his fuel tanks!! LOL). Cleans up the chain just like kerosene.:thumbsup:

o-ring chain.... I like the x-ring I will say though next time I replace, I'm going with the new and improved EK-ZZZ chain though....I use Kerosene as well....if you have some old oil on the drive way you can light it on fire and it will burn it off too..:rofl:

Back