Do you use WD-40 to Clean Chain?? Need Chain Info???

PJ267

Registered
Do people clean their chain with WD-40?

1) What use to Clean?
1) Does it hurt or help the o-rings?
2) How Frequent?
3) Chain Lube Or Wax?

Thanks

You can use it, no problem. I use kerosene as the manual suggests, a old tooth brush, and a good cloth. I clean my chain every 500 miles or so, or after every trip in the rain. I use lube. :thumbsup:

You can use it, no problem. I use kerosene as the manual suggests, a old tooth brush, and a good cloth. I clean my chain every 500 miles or so, or after every trip in the rain. I use lube. :thumbsup:

what bout rinsing kerosene out?
Posted via Mobile Device

wd, a still plastic brush
a rag to wipe it.
go for a 5 min ride, spray wax on while hot.
i like the smell, especially during the next ride:thumbsup:

I used to just use WD-40 with the plastic brush & wipe clean but thats not gettin the grime out from between the links so now tha I have an EKZ chain I wanna do the kerosene method & take care of it. Curious how to rinse kerosene out of chain tho
Posted via Mobile Device

I used to just use WD-40 with the plastic brush & wipe clean but thats not gettin the grime out from between the links so now tha I have an EKZ chain I wanna do the kerosene method & take care of it. Curious how to rinse kerosene out of chain tho
Posted via Mobile Device

It will evaporate in a few minutes. You don't have to rinse it. Sometimes I use parts washer solution but that cuts everything off of the chain and you have to relube as soon as the chain dries.

I use WD-40 w/ an old toothbrush, ride to warm it then lube. That is what I did on Sunday. Replaced the rear tire w/ a 190-55 PP 2CT & new cush rubbers while I was there.

It will evaporate in a few minutes. You don't have to rinse it. Sometimes I use parts washer solution but that cuts everything off of the chain and you have to relube as soon as the chain dries.

SWEET! and it won't harm an EKZ chain? got a sweet black one last year along with a 42t sprocket
Posted via Mobile Device

I had heard years back that the wd-40 was not good on the o-rings, it may not be true now with newer/better o-rings. :beerchug:

HA HA , CALL MY OL'LADY AND SHE'LL GIVE WD-40 THE THUMBS UP FOR SURE . OVER THE WEEKEND OUR TWO DEVIL KIDS " SIX & THREE " DECIDED TO PAINT HER BRAND NEW CAR , MOTORCYCLE LIFT, FLOOR IN THE GAMEROOM , GARAGE DOOR AND NO TELLING WHAT ELSE HIGH TEMP. CHEVY ORANGE . TOOK HER THREE HOURS TO GET EVERYTHING CLEANED . GLAD I WAS'NT AROUND !:whistle:
Do people clean their chain with WD-40?

1) What use to Clean?
1) Does it hurt or help the o-rings?
2) How Frequent?
3) Chain Lube Or Wax?

Thanks

I use a chain cleaner(Chain Clean 611) with a fine wire brush and a cloth, Sparkles like it has diamonds in it. THen I use Chain Wax.. Works great for me!!!

ed4300912222eb889aec5ff3c76e6ab4_refined.jpg

Maxima-Racing-Oils-74920-Chain-Cable-Lube-20-oz-Can.jpg

early on I was told PJ1 lube was the way to go, but have heard nothin bout it since 05 when I first brought home my katana
Posted via Mobile Device

I had heard years back that the wd-40 was not good on the o-rings, it may not be true now with newer/better o-rings. :beerchug:

I heard the same thing from some people on this forum in a thread about the same thing. I don't, however, remember if it was said not to be true. I always use brake cleaner (not carb cleaner. Carb cleaner will ruin the rubber O-rings. Brake cleaner doesn't hurt rubber parts) Haven't ever used kerosene, even though that's what the manual says to use. Just don't have any on hand and the brake cleaner is. Still would like to know about the WD-40 myth though. True or not? I hope it's not, seeing how many people are using it.

Back