For those using WD-40 on their chain...

beerchug.gif

I am not sure but I thought just about all of us here where just using the WD40 like Kersoene just to clean and then lubing it with something else. 34,000 miles and only 2 chains on my bike wheelies 185 MPH passes etc and it doesnt kink up. I think the key here is constant maintenance I lube mine(chain wax) every 2nd ride and try to clean it every 4.

Well - here's how I roll, (I ain't saying I'm right!) - WD-40 to get the gunk off - thouroughly wipe down and run the scoot to re-warm the chain, then apply chain lube.

Problem is that if you don't clean of the WD and just use that as a lube, stuff will end up sticking to it and it will cause the kind of roller pitting like you saw in the bearing form the a/c. We used to see something similar with PLS sprayed into teflon coated damper bearings on helicopters....

Anyway, I think most people use WD for cleaning, not for clean and lube?

Clean with kerosene, wipe , heat up, then chain wax for me. 27,000 miles on stock chain and sprockets and still going.

(speed750 @ Jan. 11 2007,23:56) WHATEVER! I hose the rag down with WD-40 and wipe the chain down. When it's nice and shiney gold I'm done. It's more about getting the dirt off the chain than soaking it down to kill the grease that is protected by the O rings.
beerchug.gif
This sounds like the answer ... good suggestion
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

lurk.gif

The old WD40 controversy will never die. I've got 40,000 mi (over 3 bikes) + with WD40 alone......I still haven't replaced a chain or sprocket due to wear or binding. I must be one lucky SOB
smile.gif

Back