Need to clean chain cheap. Easy find.

Fate

Donating Member
Registered
Not sure if anyone knows, but you can buy small containers of Kerosene at Walmart in camping area if you don't want to have the big 5 gallon containers of the stuff laying around in your garage. around 5 bucks.

IMG00205.jpg

Isn't Kerosene bad for our O-Ring chains?  I was under the impression that petroleum based solvents will eat away the O-ring seals.

Only thing that is recommended is kerosene, Saw a test done that was highlighted on a post and it is the best. wd40 will mess up o rings after a while, but comes in second.

Only thing that is recommended is kerosene, Saw a test done that was highlighted on a post and it is the best. wd40 will mess up o rings after a while, but comes in second.
I saw that one too. And WD-40 will mess the o-rings if left soaking in it for an extended period of time. I think WD liberally then wiped off should be good. Then lube the heck out of it.

Kerosene cleans and lubes. Thanks for the tip, I always make a mess pouring out of the big can.

Bought a can of wd that other day ready to clean the chain. Think I will finish that up and then buy some of that kerosene. Thanks
smile.gif

Guess it depends on where you live. Had a hard time finding kerosene in S FL. Wish I would have known about it being available in the camping section at wally world. Thanks for the tip.

Here in TN the local gas station has a kerosene pump. 4.00 a gallon when I bought some for the torpedo heater last winter.

I bought a gallon can at ace hardware for 9 dollars .....if you get a cheap spray bottle and use a good grunge brush you use very little and gallon will last at least a few years

Dan

Home Depot and Loews have it in 1 gallon cans.

Get a spout to pour it into a spray bottle and you're good to go.

--Wag--

For an additional couple of bucks you can get some really good stuff from Motorex "Chain Clean 611". Stuff works great. Our local suzuki shop carries it. You can always go to Motorex.com and order it direct. We use lots of their products including brake fluid, fork oil, engine oil just to name a few. Their cleaning products are equally great, bike wash, helmet care and just about anything else you can imagine.

If you use kerosene or diesel be sure to scurb the rear tire thoroughly afterwards. Stuff is slippery!

yup, use kerosene here as per owners manual. get a "Grunge Brush", this is great for scrubbing the chain clean on all sides!

I looked around lowes down here and did not see it. I will have to check again. It is hard to find down here. Up North, it was EVERYWHERE

Back