Do you all think I was being Racist??????

Our company policy is business is conducted in English, but we are not allowed to tell anyone they cannot speck whatever language they want. We can only ask them if they will consider speaking english when people involved do not know hebrew or hindi.

You are a racist. (kidding, I had to break up all this agreement)

Insisting that people speak the language of the country they are in is in no way racist.

Insisting that people speak the language designated by their employer, in the interests of safety, is in no way racist.

If you have subordinates who are too stupid/lazy to bother speaking English, sack them. - Be upfront about company policy regarding language and make everyone sign a document showing that they acknowledge company policy and agree to abide by it. Tell them that there will be zero tolerance for anyone who does not abide by company policy and then publicly fire the first offender.

being racist and discriminating against someone are two completely different things.

tell management to grow a set of balls! common sense tells you to speak a language EVERYONE can understand when safety is at hand. half the employees I work with speak spanish and its NEVER spoken unless necessary to help a citizen who cant speak english.

when my employees safety is involved we all need to speak the SAME langauge so we know whats happening . IF we are in Mexico , then its spanish , IF we are in Germay , then its german . HERE in America it english !

HERE in America it english !

facepalm.jpg

I go through this crap everyother month. I was the Safety Rep for 2 years on my job. We deal with 13.5kv. I put on the safety video for some guys that had not worked at our facility. I learned they did not speak English. I put in a Safety suggestion that for safety sake EVERYONE should speak English at our facilities. The videi is in A company person that speaks Spanish came unglued. They only want to make a living he said.

The conclusion was that their boss would translate for me. I asked what happens if an emergency arises and their Boss is off site? I was called a racist. What asses.

english is the primary language in this country learn it or get out! no you are not racist no even close. in the meat packing plants this is a huge problem. the mexicans that speak english are made fun of by their friends so they all act like they cant speak english. They are just acting like arse holes. deport em and hire some AMERICANS to work the job.

You are not being a racist! as a spanish speaking citizen of this great country, you must!!! learn the language period..... I speak spanish when I need or want to speak it, but I know for certain that there is a time and a place for it.

I am F'ing tired of the Racism/Sexist card being dropped everytime someone doesn't like what another person has done! You did nothing wrong and if they do take disciplinary actions against you I would surely sue the company!! Good luck brother will be praying for you

The employees first day on the job.

"Do you understand that if you speak Spanish while on the job, you will be terminated?"

Employee, *Yes".

Case closed.

By the Employer failing to do this the first time, your toast.

Either enforce company policy, or embrace the fact that and all English speaking workforce is a thing of the past.

I hate when people have to play the BS race card to hurt people that did absolutely nothing.

I've been dealing with this for over 2 months now. I've had to go to another shift to get away from the situation. I'm the 4th person he has did this to, nothing ever happens to him. My life has been thrown upside down because of the complaints of this person. I was on first shift for 13 years now I'm on 2nd because this person became pissed at me. All I said to him was "I'm tired of doing your job while you stand around and watch me", which is exactly what he was doing. Oh, and he was drinking a drink and eating a bag of chips at the time. It seems to me after the 4th time they would see he's crying wolf again. Sorry for the rant but this has screwed my life up, all because he is the real RACIST.

Not racist those people are the ones that need to find another job not you. I am sure who ever the insurance company is would back you up if someone gets, squashed on the job they the ones going to be paying out. Insurance companies don't like to pay. Most latinos here an they have fired a few people who can't spekee de inglise around here.

You're not racist at all. I just don't understand people that come to the US to work. WHY should we as Americans have to put up with BS like this? It is always up to the Americans to learn spanish or some other language even to keep their job. Every time things don't go the way the foreigners want they want to pull the race thing. When are the Americans going to say they have had enough and make everyone that wants to work in this great country of OURS have to learn english to be able to work here? Its sad that someone like you who is just doing his job has to go through the trouble and headache over a bunch of IDIOTS that want to use the race thing just because you got on their ass for not doing their job (Speaking english) I tell you one thing. If I owned a company in the USA the first two thing you would have to have is an americana citizenship and you would have to be able to speak fluid english. If I was you and lost my job over this, they would have the biggest lawsuit they have ever seen. Man it makes me so mad every time I here something like this. I sure hope thing turn out for you.

Stand your ground, this was about safety, the job they hired you to do. I would make sure that, if it's NOT in company policy/hiring, that it gets there in writing ASAP. Would not matter if it were Spanish, or Farsi, or Hebrew, it's about SAFETY.

You are in a lose-lose situation if your company doesn't back you. If there was an accident because of poor communications because you turned the other cheek and let them speak in a language not designated, you can dang well bet someone would sue you and the company over it.

Based on what you have told us it seems you are covered. Company policy AND state law? Sounds like your ok. Maybe a new moving crew is viable?

I would like to know the outcome of this. Sounds like the guy that is causing the trouble for you is the one that need to be fired. I would also have a talk with the highest people there to make sure they know both sides of the story.

Back