i am just tired of it.. some are just rude..

I speak another language around automotive people myself and know english perfectly well. I speak I'm not paying this mofo what he wants. Only bad part is most car guys know that language if they been around awhile :rofl:

now that is just wrong!!:laugh:

All Joking aside do yourself and family a favor.

Learn their language but never speak it and just learn to listen. You as a car guy will be miles ahead of your coworkers, cause you can figure out their strategy for buying a vehicle with the language you learned... You sometimes in life miss a lesson cause, you were looking at the obvious, not the billboard that was flashing behind them....

it is not just sales, it is service, parts, make ready every freaking place.. hell no one speak english anymore!!!:rofl::rofl:

in reality I dont think its an issue when others speaking their native language in public. I guess im use to it considering I work in a city that is half Spanish.

where I think it becomes problematic is living here for 10 or 20 years and still not being able to speak English on more then a 1st grade level. if I moved to Spain or any other spanish speaking country would I still speak English? I wud certainly think so but I wud learn to speak the native language first and practice often.

I know many ppl personally that still have a problem speakn English cause they refuse to learn it. but, as little English as they may speak properly they still speak better English then I do Spanish....:laugh:

I think Brett's right. It certainly doesn't bother me if Latino's speak Spanish to each other in my presence (as long as they don't point at my crotch and laugh) :)

But what bothers me is when they CAN'T speak English...or are demading that the government REQUIRE spanish speakign translators, instructions, etc, etc.

I understand that not speaking English in the USA could be a challenge, but if you want to live here, pull up your big girl panties and LEARN IT. If I moved to Mexico City, I totally understand that for me to assimilate, I'm going to have to learn to speak Spanish and I have no right to expect otherwise.

Labrocha: You have a beatiful language, and I'm just sorry I don't understand much more than "Cervesa, por favor" :)

In the field of work I'm in, I'm usually in the minority, but I could care less. Only thing that changes is I go instantly into a-hole mode because anything less just gets a smile and "si, si" otherwise being ignored.

Penso che sono solo di essere eccessivamente sensibile e ficcanaso. come altri hanno detto che se non parlano a voi che differenza fa che stanno parlando di lingua?

:laugh:I think its rude to listen in on a conversation between two other people who are not talking to you.:laugh:

What bothers me more so is people in this country that were born here and live here, that do not and cannot speak English properly. The days of being mono-linguistic are long over. Diversity is what makes this country great. The rude part, well that's up for debate. You can employ the mind over matter technique or you can adapt and overcome your fears. Ask them what they are talking about or learn their language and join in.
It doesn't bother me. I live in an area of our great country that relies on immigrant labor. I found it beneficial to learn enough of other languages so i could better communicate with my employees. Win win for me...

To suppress a persons need to preserve their heritage is rude. Sticks and stone will break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

"I think Brett's right. It certainly doesn't bother me if Latino's speak Spanish to each other in my presence (as long as they don't point at my crotch and laugh"....Oh man that just started my day :rofl:

Penso che sono solo di essere eccessivamente sensibile e ficcanaso. come altri hanno detto che se non parlano a voi che differenza fa che stanno parlando di lingua?

En serio, creo que hay un poco de paranoia pasando. Como dijo Keith, siempre y cuando no estén apuntando a la entrepierna, está todo bien. ¿Por qué no puedo obtener este número de respuestas de mis post "subastas de seguros". loco

Zaboon English sohbat nakonin khoob nist.. kheili zesht hast.. vali man ghabool mikonam chi migid...

Its only bad if the second generation speaks a non English language as their first language, other than that we been integrating non English speakers for 500 years, relax, they only hurt themselves when they don't learn the language.

My view on Diversity is you can bring all the good stuff (food) from whatever shthole you came from, but leave all the bad stuff behind, especially the stuff that made your heritage homeland a shthole in the first place. Remember, there is a reason you or your forefathers came here, the place they came from sucked so bad they had to escape. Some cultures pick up English in half a generation sometimes it takes a full generation, but all eventually become just like a native within one full generation, rare exception is small ghetto communities where it might take two. We integrate (indoctrinate) people from all over the world better than anywhere else, by far. The people that hang onto their language without learning English pay for it economically, this is the best motivator to get with the program, when organizations and governments encourage groups to not learn the common language they are hurting the people they are trying to "help". To those that get pissed try helping the foreigners speakeda englaise, you might learn something about a different culture and appreciate our culture more.

Vamos, somos una gran familia. Es nuestra diversidad que hace de este un gran grupo, por no hablar de hacer de Estados Unidos un gran lugar para vivir.

this really is somewhat of a US issue. Travel the world and you'll find that other countries sorta have the "we speak our language, if you dont, oh well" attitude. Go to Europe and see how you fare if you only speak english. In the main cities and larger towns you should be fine, particularly if you are interacting with folks that are say 50 and younger. Once you get out into the small towns and villages and see how you do. They might understand you but generally will make little if any attempt to have a conversation with you in english, especially if they are over 50ish. Even the police and govt folks will speak to you in their native tongue.

The issue with the US is that there is no official language. Yes we have always spoken english as the primary language from day one and it has evolved from the queen's english into American english with various sub dialects along the way. However every single time and there have been MANY attempts to get it passed, the Congress fails to vote english as the official language of the USA. Until that time folks will do as they please and you really have no recourse to force anyone to speak english, except to stop working/dealing with them.

I agree its rude to have separate conversations in a different language in the middle of a conversation in english (as you described) but what can you do? Happens to me all the time working in IT. Its not usually spanish though, its typically an Indian dialect or one of the Asian languages. After a few minutes of it, especially when they do it face to face I simply interject rather loudly "I need subtitles" :laugh: Usually gets the point across.

this really is somewhat of a US issue. Travel the world and you'll find that other countries sorta have the "we speak our language, if you dont, oh well" attitude. Go to Europe and see how you fare if you only speak english. In the main cities and larger towns you should be fine, particularly if you are interacting with folks that are say 50 and younger. Once you get out into the small towns and villages and see how you do. They might understand you but generally will make little if any attempt to have a conversation with you in english, especially if they are over 50ish. Even the police and govt folks will speak to you in their native tongue.

The issue with the US is that there is no official language. Yes we have always spoken english as the primary language from day one and it has evolved from the queen's english into American english with various sub dialects along the way. However every single time and there have been MANY attempts to get it passed, the Congress fails to vote english as the official language of the USA. Until that time folks will do as they please and you really have no recourse to force anyone to speak english, except to stop working/dealing with them.

I agree its rude to have separate conversations in a different language in the middle of a conversation in english (as you described) but what can you do? Happens to me all the time working in IT. Its not usually spanish though, its typically an Indian dialect or one of the Asian languages. After a few minutes of it, especially when they do it face to face I simply interject rather loudly "I need subtitles" :laugh: Usually gets the point across.

yah.. i talked to some of those indian tech support people and i don't even understand what the hell they are saying in english and i end up hanging up !!:laugh:

Back