Farewell term question

insane

Registered
I've got a language question from a Spanish fellow worker: which are some expressions in English for a deeply felt farewell with few or no chances of seeing each other again? In Spanish we say "hasta siempre" (kind of "farewell forever"), used for example as a final farewell to fallen comrades, but I don't manage to get an expression that sounds right and that it's commonly used in English.

Any suggestion?

TIA

What I told my ex girlfriends
"Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you!"

Ok maybe not what you were looking for but gets the point across.

I think in english most just say "Good bye"

Se traduce "Hasta Siempre" como "Until Forever"

My suggestion is "Bronson Farewell"
cool.gif

"Get out of my house."

I kid.

Seriously, I think many religious types use some form of, "Until we meet again," or "We'll meet in a better place." But these can be a touchy subject if you're talking about religious preference.

If you're talking about death, most people seem to prefer the simpler and more agnostic, "rest in peace."

Personally, I always liked, "I'll see you when I see you."

My English friends are fond of saying, "If I don't see you out the door, I'll see you through the window." But that one only works if you understand the multiple implications that the language carries. It sounds like a threat, but really it's just good natured ribbing.

I'd use the old 70's (thumbs interlocked handshake), pull one another close to 'man hug' and pat the others back with the left hand.

No words needed.

"Until we meet again", "Take care", "It's been nice knowing ya"

I can't think of any good redneck sayings right now...

I THOUGHT OF ONE!!!

"Y'all come back now Ya Hear!!"

We say that even if we will never see the person again.... just meaning our door is always open.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I now have a pretty wide range of answers for my co-worker.

Back