Dirt Riders

snap I think you need to make sure that you are looking for the right type of bike.... Trails can be many things.... if your wanting to do mountain trails or small roads and your going to be going through towns and riding on the street then I would get a bike with turn signals and the works... If your going to be trailering the bike to a trail then riding to keep up with your son, jump some hills, up and down canyons, I would get the CRF450x or 250x make sure you get the bike designed for the riding your going to do, there is nothing worse than being on the wrong bike.
Well said Cap as well as the input from everyone. I thought long and hard and decided to take "dad" out of the situation. I ride my Busa and do not share that with anyone else in the family. It is my own realm. My primary purpose for dirt is to ride with my son and teach him the do's and don't of riding. For now, I decided to go with this 1983 Honda ATC200E. Everything is functioining except for the parking brake. It has been worked on recently as I notice a new cover. Guy bought a parcel of land and it was sitting in the barn. He used it until he got a tractor. I started it cold with the pull start/decompression lever and no choke. Fired on first pull. It will give me an opportunity to show my son upshifts/downshifts and let him practice without having to balance the bike. Plus, the whole family is getting use out of it. I had one like this as a kid and they are dangerous... but then again... anything is if you don't respect it. BTW - gave $400 for it.

IMG_1075__Small_.JPG

Wow, the ATC200, that brings back memories... like me flailing through the air as the darn thing started its alligator death roll! I'd say I didn't respect it, but I wouldn't agree with how it treated me for it either... good luck and be safe.

You picked a perfect family ranch vehicle. That's the whole reason Honda started build the ATC, so farmers could drive around their property. Plus you won't loose money on it.
Here's the only pic I have of my ATC90. My dad bought it new in 1971 and it's never been rebuilt. I just rebuild the carb and pull starter every 5 years.

garage_3.JPG

You picked a perfect family ranch vehicle. That's the whole reason Honda started build the ATC, so farmers could drive around their property. Plus you won't loose money on it.
Here's the only pic I have of my ATC90. My dad bought it new in 1971 and it's never been rebuilt. I just rebuild the carb and pull starter every 5 years.
Thanks. Took her through the trials yesterday for about 4 hours with no problems. Now I'm pulling plastics for a quick "frame off" restoration. Plan to paint/powder coat, replace control lines, rusted connections, etc...let the fun begin.

beerchug.gif

Make sure that you check the air box for mice...
laugh.gif
No kidding. It doesn't take long for those little rascals to make a home in there.

Congratulations! Enjoy the time with your family.

Happy new year too.

Back