Dirt Bike

If you have ridden before I would go with the 250 2 stroke.They are soooo easy to work on and they last.Make sure the air filter is well oiled with a quiality oil and you keep the trans oil clean,the clutch takes a beating.I've been racing my 04 ktm 250 sx for 2 years now and it has over 150hrs. on it and I've only put 1 ring in it.(it only has 1 ring).I've had cr's,kx's,rm's and they all hold up pretty good.The kx fell apart sooner than any other one,It was a 99 and I only got about 2 years out of it before It got clapped out.As far as plugs go I have not fouled one in about 6 yrs' make it is jetted right and you will have no problems with plugs.AS far as your weight you are target for a 125 but the 250 is eaiser to ride(more tourque)I'am 190lbs so the 125's working a little hard to pull me around.You have to be spot on and aggressive on the 125.You can get a little lazy on the 250.I hope this helps. I almost forgot WEAR YOUR GEAR!!! Esp. knee guards.

If you have ridden before I would go with the 250 2 stroke.They are soooo easy to work on and they last.Make sure the air filter is well oiled with a quiality oil and you keep the trans oil clean,the clutch takes a beating.I've been racing my 04 ktm 250 sx for 2 years now and it has over 150hrs. on it and I've only put 1 ring in it.(it only has 1 ring).I've had cr's,kx's,rm's and they all hold up pretty good.The kx fell apart sooner than any other one,It was a 99 and I only got about 2 years out of it before It got clapped out.As far as plugs go I have not fouled one in about 6 yrs' make it is jetted right and you will have no problems with plugs.AS far as your weight you are target for a 125 but the 250 is eaiser to ride(more tourque)I'am 190lbs so the 125's working a little hard to pull me around.You have to be spot on and aggressive on the 125.You can get a little lazy on the 250.I hope this helps.      I almost forgot WEAR YOUR GEAR!!! Esp. knee guards.
This is not for a racebike however...

thanks for the input tho, and i might have to look into kneeguards...

thanks bro!
thumb_up.gif

Here is my newb opinion on this topic.
I just got into dirt bikes about a month ago. I just got an 01 Rm 250 from a guy for 1700. It's got all new plastic (not the same stigma goes with new plastic on a dirt bike as a street bike), FMF pipe and silencer V force reeds, emig clamps and new tires. Pretty nice deal I think. I went with a 2 stroke for a few reasons. Very low maintenance. If it's jetted right and you don't flood it, it won't foul plugs. If it gets to the point of a rebuild, a new piston/ring/gasket set for my bike is right about 125 bucks, and you can do it in the garage with about 4 tools. Four stroke, it's going to be more. A four will have more power but, not that much more. Mixing fuel isn't THAT big of a deal. BUT, a 250F would be a good choice two for a smaller guy. I'd say get on ebay and the local papers and get the nicest/cheapest/newest one you can find.

The 4 stroke will make a little more power,but it also makes it over a wider rpm range.It will start pulling sooner and pull almost as hard on top.The 450's are smokin fast,way more powerful than even a good tuned 250 2 stroke. Completely Blow up a 2 stroke = 700-1000$,blow up a 4 stroke = 1000-2000.It all depends what you are looking for.I think the 2 stroke is more fun.One of the reason's I got into dirtbikes was due to how the 2 stroke sounds.Maintaining is cheaper w/ the 2 stroke,it only has 1 throttle cable,less moving eng. parts,less stress on chain and sprockets,no oil filters,mix the oil and gas at 40-50 to 1 with gas and it goes a long way.And you can just use automotive automatic tran's fluid it the transmission so it is alot cheaper than bike spec. stuff,and work's just as good.Most of the good syn. mix oil's are very good.I use motorex mixed at 50-60 to 1 and no problem's.To stay competitive the 4 stroke is the way to go,for the have fun get to know bike's better the 2 win's hand's down. As far as gear,Helmet,boots,chest protector,gloves,goggle's,knee guard's as I mentioned before and even some elbow guard's.I have an old chest protector and some elbow guards you can have if you want, just pm me.The chest protector is not mint but you can't beat free.It ia a FOX airframe.Have fun.

Which bike would pull harder, the Two-stroke, or the four-stroke, i'm talking about acceleration feel, which one would try and put me off the seat harder?

And i'm talking about the same CC range for both engine classes...

Thanks for all of the info everyone, you're making the decision SOOO much easier!
thumb_up.gif
bowdown.gif

Save your money for a street bike, a used dirt bike cost a lot of money to get ready and maintain. you dont buy dirt bikes to putt around the yard you buy them to beat on them as hard as you can ride.then you need a truck to haul around the bike.wear your gear i have been on the ground a lot more on a dirt bike than a street bike.

2-strokes
louder
shorter power band
big fun in power band
can smoke a lot

4-strokes
quiet
larger power band
torquey
more forgiving

You can get either 2 or 4 stroke that will leave you sitting on ground watching it roll away from you if you grab too much throttle. The technology that has gone into them is awesome.
Either way preventative maintenance will go a long way.

It all depends on where you are going to ride. The noise issue can get you if your not on a track.

I ride mostly on our rural dirt roads, (we know most of the people who live around here). Do you think a two-stroke would make too much noise?

My MAIN concern is how long the bike will hold up. A lot of people were saying in different places that the 4's last longer than the 2's. Is that true?

I'm also not too worried about the power either, i'm not a hotdogger, and i take REALLY good care of my stuff.

One more thing for now, is it not good for either of the 2 or 4 stroke bikes to run them in the higher RPM's? I've heard if you run the 2's real high for very long it will blow the motor, is this true too?

Thanks for all the help everyone!
bowdown.gif

I like the snappy torque of the 2 stroke. and IMO its easier for ME 2 maintain. they have come a long way with the four stroke, however it will cost more IF you do have a problem. Maintenance is the key to keeping both types (2 or 4 stroke)bikes in good shape. I like hondas for the dirt and of course suzuki for the street. When i do ride the cr250 that i have i clean and lube after every ride even if its only ridden for 30 minutes. the bike is a 2000 cr250r i got it 4 years ago form a guy that raced and used it for a practice bike. mud and dirt will ruin every part of a bike if left on there. im NO expert at all, but i do believe in keeping things maintained. for your type of riding you may want to consider the four stroke. they can be more forgiving. the 250f would make a good bike. if you watch much of the ama motocross or supercross the 250f is making jumps the 125 never made. with any bike to much throttle can and will hurt your rearend. been there done/wrecked that! good luck with your decision! and make sure to get the gear its a must have.
beerchug.gif
thumb_up.gif

I like the snappy torque of the 2 stroke. and IMO its easier for ME 2 maintain. they have come a long way with the four stroke, however it will cost more IF you do have a problem. Maintenance is the key to keeping both types (2 or 4 stroke)bikes in good shape. I like hondas for the dirt and of course suzuki for the street. When i do ride the cr250 that i have i clean and lube after every ride even if its only ridden for 30 minutes. the bike is a 2000 cr250r i got it 4 years ago form a guy that raced and used it for a practice bike.    mud and dirt will ruin every part of a bike if left on there. im NO expert at all, but i do believe in keeping things maintained. for your type of riding you may want to consider the four stroke. they can be more forgiving.   the 250f would make a good bike.   if you watch much of the ama motocross or supercross the 250f is making jumps the 125 never made.  with any bike to much throttle can and will hurt your rearend.  been there done/wrecked that!    good luck with your decision!  and make sure to get the gear its a must have.
beerchug.gif

thumb_up.gif
+1
thumb_up.gif

During this winter I've rebuilt 3 4-strokes for guys who all kicked the timing chain off and bent valves and other goodies from over revs when they missed a gear. $450-600 depending on damage. I'm doing 2 2-strokes now that required a fresh top-end (pistons,rings,gaskets) $300 tops. I've had about 14 dirt bikes in my 39 years,started at 14 with a KX80,all the way up to CR500. IMO 2 stokes are just more fun and will provide a better learning curve. Based on your frame,and riding time, any 125 or 250 will be plenty of bike and fun at the same time. You can never have on too much gear,nothing is better than getting up from a big crash and walking away with a smile. Good Luck with what ever you decide,Ride-On
super.gif

thumb_up.gif

Go find two people,one with a 2 and 1 with a 4 stroke.send them off to ride, all you will hear is the 4 stroke.If you use good oil the 2 will hardley smoke after it is warmed up.I never notice smoke from my brother's ktm 200 after it is warm.Two stroke oil needs heat for it to seprate fully from fuel thats why they smoke when you start them.Ever hear of a cold seizure? that's why.If you mix it between 50-60 to 1 with good oil there will be no smoke problem or plug problems.AS far as cc's go a 250 2 str. will out pull a 4 str. all day.They made the 450's to compete with the 250 2 str. bet now the 2 str. is gone in proff. racing but very much alive in the hand's of an offroad guy or gncc racing.Both bike's rip.My ktm 250 sx has about 49 hp and it weigh's 230 lbs, figure it out.There all fun but I personally take the 2 str. due to relibality and easy to maintain.Plus they don't overheat as much it slow goin. trails.(you can see I am a little bias on the 2 str).Alot of two strokes make smoother power than they used too since the invention orf powervalves in the motor's.Ktm's you can tune the power valve with spring's and a screw adj. to your liking.  I hope any of this helps.Look on dirtbike fourums for info also there no different than here. Fly or drive out here we will gear you up and take you ridin. I can take my brother's bike you can ride mine.

Go find two people,one with a 2 and 1 with a 4 stroke.send them off to ride, all you will hear is the 4 stroke.If you use good oil the 2 will hardley smoke after it is warmed up.I never notice smoke from my brother's ktm 200 after it is warm.Two stroke oil needs heat for it to seprate fully from fuel thats why they smoke when you start them.Ever hear of a cold seizure? that's why.If you mix it between 50-60 to 1 with good oil there will be no smoke problem or plug problems.AS far as cc's go a 250 2 str. will out pull a 4 str. all day.They made the 450's to compete with the 250 2 str. bet now the 2 str. is gone in proff. racing but very much alive in the hand's of an offroad guy or gncc racing.Both bike's rip.My ktm 250 sx has about 49 hp and it weigh's 230 lbs, figure it out.There all fun but I personally take the 2 str. due to relibality and easy to maintain.Plus they don't overheat as much it slow goin. trails.(you can see I am a little bias on the 2 str).Alot of two strokes make smoother power than they used too since the invention orf powervalves in the motor's.Ktm's you can tune the power valve with spring's and a screw adj. to your liking.  I hope any of this helps.Look on dirtbike fourums for info also there no different than here. Fly or drive out here we will gear you up and take you ridin. I can take my brother's bike you can ride mine.
I met a guy at the stealership the other day.

We were talking dirtbikes and he said the 125 would do 80mph...true? If not, how fast WILL they go?

Also, another friend of mine said that there really isn't much difference between the 125 and the 250 engines and in FACT the 125 seemed a little quicker, is that true too? (BTW, i'm talking pretty much new bikes, FROM the stealership)

BTW, thanks for ALL of the help everyone, its GREATLY appreciated!
thumb_up.gif

The Honda CRF 230 F is a good all round bike more for trails then mx.
but it has a bullet proof motor and it is cheaper than the 250's, and it hs a 6 speed tranny.

Most dirt bikes will do 70-80 depending the gearing.Most everyone adds 1-2 teeth to the rear sprocket to put the motor in its tourque range at lower mph.You wont be hitting top speed very often on a dirt bike unless you are on the road anyway. There is a big difference between the 125/250 motor's the 250 makes way more tourque at a way lower rpm and is not as peaky as the 125 when it hits it's power range.The 125 you have to use the power like a surgen.The 250 is like a stump puller at lower rpm and will just pull into the mid than explode into wheeling top end almost to 4th gear.But it is manageable.The 125 may seem quicker beacuse the eng. is revving more and you get that sensation just from the sound.the 250 is alot smoother into the midrange than the 125 also.You dont get the 250 falling off the pipe as mush as the 125,you have to ride 125 in a smaller power window to be effective.Read some stuff on the dirtrider magazine shootouts on line to get a feel on what they say about the bike's.You will have to archive a little for the 2 stroke ones.

my 19 year old son rides a yz250 he runs a 13 tooth front sprocket with a 49 rear there aint much that will touch it. as for maintainance it get expensive the barrel is nickel plated and cant be rebored he went for a sleeve insert so it can be bored a few times,i think all the parts for the rebuild came to £500 just done the rear suspension bushes and bearings which was quite expensive'although i thihk parts are cheaper where you are,he prefers the response of the two stroke compared to the four' personal choice though, all i can say is what ever you go for buy the best you can afford , his is a 1998 model and some one else will have had the best out of it, just remember dont be a hero and stay safe hope this helps
thumb_up.gif

You can have your 2-strokes and race type 4strokes. I'll stick with my reliable trails 4 stroke. A bit heavier that those race bikes, but just maintain it and you can ride for years. You don't have to beat your dirtbike to death to have fun.

I have a neighbor kid that lives next to me has a 2001 honda cr 80 2 stroke. I used to own a 2003 raptor 660 le piped and jetted that would probably top speed around 90 mph. This kid is 15 years old and he could almost keep up with me on his 80. As far as loud, yeah pretty damn loud but he also had an aftermarket pipe. I'm going to agree with most others on here go 2 stroke I think you will be happy. I took a quick look on ebay and found a rm 250 suzuki, it's kind of far away but check it out it's a 1999 model that has about 3 hours on it and has been in storage and taken care of. Here is the item number 260216913456 check it out.
2cents.gif

DSC00322.JPG

Back