Dirt Bike

Back when I raced MX (+30A class in dist 17) I preferred a four stroke. Easier to ride late in the moto and better when traction was an issue (which is most of the time after the first moto). But now that I'm just an old man playing I prefer two strokes. SUPER easy and cheap to rebuild and more fun in my opinion. And since two strokes are dead in motocross now you can pick them up cheap.

I gave $850 for this 2001 CR250. I can rebuild the top end in 1 hour. New piston and rings are about $160 including gaskets. If you screw up the cylinder it can get expensive but still cheaper to fix than if you blow up your four stroke.

0309080952.jpg

I understand right where your at, I rode dirt bikes since I was 13. I would seriously suggest a 4 stroke, 2 strokes are a thing of the past. Yamaha makes a nice yz 250 four stroke lots of power!. the 450 is pushing it for someone your size and age. Plus little to no maintenance problems.

I have seen guys larger than you take a 125 and put the 250 boys in the dust... If you like riding the bike and being able to throw it around then I would get the 125...

you are 17 and looking to up grade to a street bike , if you are going to invest that kind of money get either a dual sport 250 or 400 you can have a blast in the dirt and the trails , and can also get say a motorcycle endorsment , and pronably register and insure for anbout 100 dollars a year , best part id you will start your street riding experience

you are 17 and looking to up grade to a street bike , if you are going to invest that kind of money get either a dual sport 250 or 400  you can have a blast in the dirt and the trails , and can also get say a motorcycle endorsment , and pronably register and insure for anbout 100 dollars a year , best part id you will start your street riding experience
good points
thumb_up.gif

you are 17 and looking to up grade to a street bike , if you are going to invest that kind of money get either a dual sport 250 or 400  you can have a blast in the dirt and the trails , and can also get say a motorcycle endorsment , and pronably register and insure for anbout 100 dollars a year , best part id you will start your street riding experience
good points
thumb_up.gif
I'd love to, but the ones that are street oriented are soo much more d@mn expensive tho...at least where i'm at anyway...
sadnews.gif

Okay, just playing devil's advocate...i'm going to work my way up in the sportbike range soon, so should i look into a USED 250ninja, or a NEW RM125?

Which do you guys think i'd have more fun on?

BTW, i can't thank any of you ENOUGH for the info, i'm sooooooo glad to be a member here, keep 'em coming everyone, thanks!
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif

BTW, i ride my current Dirtbike everywhere, including the gas station and CHURCH, hehehe. Maybe the RM125 would be okay for now.

Also, i just wanted to let those of you who think i should go street, (this is just money i have left over from saving from work a couple of years ago). I'm planning on getting a full-time job soon (after i graduate) and working my way up in the sportbike ranks. Thanks a bunch for the concern though. This won't hurt my streetbike shopping though, its just money i'd saved up from a while ago that i've decided i want a new bike with. (Just thought i'd throw that out there)
cool.gif

Back when I raced MX (+30A class in dist 17) I preferred a four stroke.  Easier to ride late in the moto and better when traction was an issue (which is most of the time after the first moto).  But now that I'm just an old man playing I prefer two strokes.  SUPER easy and cheap to rebuild and more fun in my opinion.  And since two strokes are dead in motocross now you can pick them up cheap.

I gave $850 for this 2001 CR250.  I can rebuild the top end in 1 hour.  New piston and rings are about $160 including gaskets.  If you screw up the cylinder it can get expensive but still cheaper to fix than if you blow up your four stroke.
The 01 cr has a very good motor, I had a 02 and the motor was a little soft and the thing would ping. no matter how I jetted it.I had to mix race fuel at least 50% to run it.+1 on ease of rebuild on the 2 stroke.You can do them in your sleep. I know a ton of people that ride and are always finding 2 yr old bikes for a really good price in good shape. Buying new is pricy and you should make sure it is one you want.I got my 04 ktm 250sx in jan 06 from e-bay new in the crate(2 yearleftover) for 4400$. And it was only an hour and a half away.look around.

Back when I raced MX (+30A class in dist 17) I preferred a four stroke.  Easier to ride late in the moto and better when traction was an issue (which is most of the time after the first moto).  But now that I'm just an old man playing I prefer two strokes.  SUPER easy and cheap to rebuild and more fun in my opinion.  And since two strokes are dead in motocross now you can pick them up cheap.

I gave $850 for this 2001 CR250.  I can rebuild the top end in 1 hour.  New piston and rings are about $160 including gaskets.  If you screw up the cylinder it can get expensive but still cheaper to fix than if you blow up your four stroke.
The 01 cr has a very good motor, I had a 02 and the motor was a little soft and the thing would ping. no matter how I jetted it.I had to mix race fuel at least 50% to run it.+1 on ease of rebuild on the 2 stroke.You can do them in your sleep.  I know a ton of people that ride and are always finding 2 yr old bikes for a really good price in good shape. Buying new is pricy and you should make sure it is one you want.I got my 04 ktm 250sx in jan 06 from e-bay new in the crate(2 yearleftover) for 4400$. And it was only an hour and a half away.look around.
Yeah, I've only ridden this 01 once since I got it (bought it a few months in the heart of winter). It definitely needs some jetting attention but I haven't had the time or weather to mess with it yet.

I got it cheap because it didn't run - see attached pic of the piston. I never did find the piece that's missing - must've gone out the exhaust port.
rock.gif

Since I raced Vet class I had a KTM 520SX which was pretty much a tractor, but I have ridden a couple 250SX blue smokers. By far the best motor of any 2 stroke 250
thumb_up.gif

whoops0126081529.jpg

The 01 cr has a very good motor, I had a 02 and the motor was a little soft and the thing would ping. no matter how I jetted it.I had to mix race fuel at least 50% to run it.+1 on ease of rebuild on the 2 stroke.You can do them in your sleep.  I know a ton of people that ride and are always finding 2 yr old bikes for a really good price in good shape. Buying new is pricy and you should make sure it is one you want.I got my 04 ktm 250sx in jan 06 from e-bay new in the crate(2 yearleftover) for 4400$. And it was only an hour and a half away.look around.
Yeah, I've only ridden this 01 once since I got it (bought it a few months in the heart of winter).  It definitely needs some jetting attention but I haven't had the time or weather to mess with it yet.

I got it cheap because it didn't run - see attached pic of the piston.  I never did find the piece that's missing - must've gone out the exhaust port.
rock.gif

Since I raced Vet class I had a KTM 520SX which was pretty much a tractor, but I have ridden a couple 250SX blue smokers.  By far the best motor of any 2 stroke 250  
thumb_up.gif
My buddy had an 01 cr,If he can remember his jetting I will let you know.I think he changed the slide also on his. That piston don't look too good I hope nothing got in the bottom end.This is such a thread jack. By the motogp GO WITH THE 2 STROKE.
winkold.gif

Only 4 stroke dirtbike I recall riding was the old XR series... (70's?)
whistling.gif
the new ones are sort of pricey huh? wow...

sure is hard to beat the zing of a 2 stroke on the pipe...

Only 4 stroke dirtbike I recall riding was the old XR series... (70's?)
whistling.gif
 the new ones are sort of pricey huh?  wow...

sure is hard to beat the zing of a 2 stroke on the pipe...
I remember those slugs as well. They've changed since then - take a CRF450 for a spin sometime.

I remember back in 1998 when the YZ400F was first introduced - laughing with my buddies at the guys on the "tractors" as we lined up at the gate. Three years later every single one of us one was on a thumper - they're hard to beat (although it isn't really fair since they get double the CC's).

Like I said, IMHO if you wanna race competitively get a thumper, if you just wanna have fun get a two stroke.

I know when the thumpers got popular with the quad guys (mid 90's).. I had a kid out of the Phx area that I did a lot of fabrication work for.. He put a thumper motor in a 2 stroke frame because of some advantages they got for running the 4stroke..

Not sure how he did but they ran all the national events and I suppose he must have been competitive..

Okay also, i want to ask, i've heard a lot of people say that you fowl your plugs if you run the two-strokes in the lower RPM's, is that true?

I ride mostly on our dirtroads (usually a pretty long distance), and i just hang back sometimes and enjoy the scenery, and sometimes (once in a while) twist her up. But i guess if the bike is MADE to twist her up, then i can do that more (which sounds good too). What are you guys' thoughts on this?

Is it better for the two-strokes to run them in the higher RPM's or lower, and if i'm doing long distances on it, does it hurt the two strokes to maintain the RPM's at a certain point for a long time?

I had a CR250R that was horrible about fouling plugs if it was not kept in the power band... I went with "Klotz" premix oil and that issue went away... and it smelled good too
smile.gif
my YZ250 would run all day at low R's just a matter of jetting/needle tuning... CR was a ex racer I never touched, just rode like a fool

Where do i take it to jetting/needle tune it?

And do you think it will hurt the RM125 or YZ125 to run it in lower RPM's?

BTW, when i get my new dirtbike i'm gonna get another helmet, (the one i have now is too small), should i see if the dealer will throw in the helmet with the bike?

it is mostly done by yourself.. you should find out the stock settings and then go from there..
If you are buying "new" it should be pretty much a hop on and ride... get yourself a notepad and keep track of any changes you make... (makes life easier if you get all messed up later)

Typically you tune the thing for your altitude/temp and unless you are racing, it should be fine without touching it again..

here are some primers for you to read... really kind of interesting stuff IMO... you can also adjust A/F by changing the oil/fuel ratio, more oil, leaner mixture.. (not the best way to do this btw)

http://www.iwt.com.au/techinfo.htm
http://www.ministothemax.com/hop_ups_carb_tuning.htm

Back