Dirt Bike

Yeah, i'm planning on buying new and that makes me feel better.

BTW, how do you "break in" a dirtbike? (i'm asking you guys ALL of my questions before i decide and pull the trigger on a new bike)

Thanks for ALL of the help, it feel great having someone who knows what the hell they're talking about ahead of time, and are trustworthy.
smile.gif

Also, watching sportbike vids on youtube, i wanted to ask...

what would the powerband on a NEW two-stroke 125 be compared to a NEW 600cc Supersport? Would it even be close to the explosion of acceleration from THOSE powerbands, or is the Gixxer gonna be a whole new world?

Also, watching sportbike vids on youtube, i wanted to ask...

what would the powerband on a NEW two-stroke 125 be compared to a NEW 600cc Supersport? Would it even be close to the explosion of acceleration from THOSE powerbands, or is the Gixxer gonna be a whole new world?
A125 has something like 10 ft.lbs of tourque,you can't compare a sport bike to a dirt bike.  The 125 just don't explode it just has a small powerband.If you know how to ride a bike get a 250,or a 2504 stroke. You will have either of them alot longer and the 125 has alot more maintinence to be done since the motor is revving alot more.My 250 has 150 Hrs on it and I've only put 1 ring in it.(I think I said that before) The larger the motor the less it has to rev to make peak power.In turn will = less $ and time doing top end's and crank bearings.You would have to have a realy big 2 stroke to compare it to a 600 supersport bike.

I do not think you can compare the 2.. sort of like comparing a quad to a shifter cart.. for all the hours we rode (and it was almost daily) I may have bought 2 sets of rings?

Maybe you can get your hands on a couple bikes for some seat time? At least enough to see if you want to try and tame a 250?

If you're really interested in getting into sportbikes, you should save the money & put it towards a streetbike or at least a dual sport. A new 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R has a MSRP of $3,499. http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=263 .  If you already have ~$2,000, you're already pretty close to that. They actually look really good with the updated looks.
 While the dirtbike would be fun, it doesn't sound like it's really what you're looking for. They're awesome for racing, trail riding, & just playing around having fun offroad. They're not the best choice for cruising around long distances, even if they are on a dirt road. If you're interested in racing or having something to play with, go ahead & get the dirtbike, but if street is your goal, you're just delaying it longer by buying the dirtbike. My vote is save a little more & get the 08 Nija 250. Or you could probably get an older used Ninja 250 for even cheaper.

Maybe you can get your hands on a couple bikes for some seat time?  At least enough to see if you want to try and tame a 250?
+1 - This is what you need to do:  ride a few various dirtbikes to get an idea of what you want.

As far as dirt versus street, I believe you will learn more about the physics involved in riding in one week on a dirtbike than you will in a year on a street bike.  It also depends on your proximity to a decent riding spot (track or trails).  Riding down dirt roads is fun for about one hour then it sucks.

Lots of good advice in this thread - and you might also want to look into dual sport bikes like someone mentioned above.  I hope to pick up  DRZ400 or something similar later this year - so long as the economy holds together.

Back