Dirt Bike

motogp08

Registered
Hey guys, i need a little help deciding.

I'm thinking about getting another dirtbike, right now i'm riding a large-framed XR80,
blush.gif
yes, i know, being 17 its a little small.

However, i'm thinking along the lines of a 2000 to 2005 model YZ125 or 250.

I have several questions...

1.) Would a YZ125 get boring for me too quickly, (i'm 5' 10" 150lbs.)

2.) Would a two stroke dirbike engine be a pain to refuel, maintain, etc.? I've heard they are a lot different than a four stroke engine wise, so you have to mix the gas with something, etc.? Or do you just gas it up like any other dirtbike?

3.) How fast can the YZ250 go? Am i going to be taking a pretty big step up in going straight for the 250?

I want you guy's input, all is appreciated.

If you have experience with a lot of VARIETIES of dirbikes, and see one being better than another, PLEASE put your input here.

BTW, for those of you who know me, i just want another dirtbike before i get my first streetbike, that way i have both when i get my streetbike.

Thanks in advance for all of the help everyone!
bowdown.gif

KX500. You'll either make it or not.
firedevil.gif

Seriously, the 125 or even a 230 would be a nice upgrade..

Dude knowing you. Knowing your gonna get a busa soon as you can. Get a 250. I would not say that any other time, but in this case I (IMHO) am looking at this as an opprotunity for you to get use to as big and as much pwr as pos. w/o too much!

125 for your weight is FUN. 250 is pushing it. BUT, will prepare you more for a busa than a 125. On the dirt there is alot more forgivness than the street!!!!

Mixing fuel, YES, you have to make 5 gallons at a time but no biggy.
beerchug.gif

You are young, but as long as you have been around here your the ONLY 17 yr old I think would listen to us
thumb_up.gif

Dude knowing you. Knowing your gonna get a busa soon as you can. Get a 250. I would not say that any other time, but in this case I (IMHO) am looking at this as an opprotunity for you to get use to as big and as much pwr as pos. w/o too much!

125 for your weight is FUN. 250 is pushing it. BUT, will prepare you more for a busa than a 125. On the dirt there is alot more forgivness than the street!!!!

Mixing fuel, YES, you have to make 5 gallons at a time but no biggy.
beerchug.gif
Thanks for the info 99, greatly appreciated!
bowdown.gif

While i'm asking you guys questions...what size four-stroke would i have to get to be comperable to the 250 two-stroke?

I think i'd like to have the acceleration of the 250, but it would be a little easier to not have to mix fuel...any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
thumb_up.gif

While i'm asking you guys questions...what size four-stroke would i have to get to be comperable to the 250 two-stroke?

I think i'd like to have the acceleration of the 250, but it would be a little easier to not have to mix fuel...any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
thumb_up.gif
for the $ 2-stroke is your best bet. they make mixing VERY easy now. They have pre measures little oil tubes that you just dump in the gas and shake. 2-stroke is the best bet thats why pro's use it!
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Thanks everyone!
thumb_up.gif
for the $ 2-stroke is your best bet. they make mixing VERY easy now. They have pre measures little oil tubes that you just dump in the gas and shake. 2-stroke is the best bet thats why pro's use it!
thumb_up.gif
I heard they're switching to four-stroke tho...

Also, i've been reading up on these bikes, and people are saying that the two-strokes don't last as long as the fours...True?

What is the maintenance like on the two-strokers? Do you have to maintain them more than the four-strokes?

After i buy the bike, i don't have a lot of money to spend on a bunch of repairs and maintenance. (I do pay for this stuff myself you know)...
winkold.gif

Do they NOT last as long as the four strokers? And do they require much more maintenance?
rock.gif

thumb_up.gif

I've been reading up on these bikes, and most of the places that i read about them on, the people are just b1tching at each other, I JUST WANT THE FACTS. Opinions are great, but they're like @$$holes, EVERYONE has one! I can't BELIEVE all of the people b1tching at each other on these other forums, and places i've been researching dirtbikes.

It makes me SOOOO gratefull that i've got this motorcycle family to ask questions!
bowdown.gif

Can i ask another question? What would the top-speed be on a YZ250, and YZ125 be? (educated guesses are welcome too)

top speed for 125 im guessing around 65 and 250 aroung 80
dunno.gif

as far as maintenence goes I cant say for sure all my dirts were 4-stroke but my cousins were 2-stroke. Neither one of use did more than change oil and plugs. He always took me on torque but in top speed i won. on dirtbikes you want low end. I always thought of them as pretty durable.
2cents.gif

4Strokes are they way to go now. They have pretty much perfected the 4stroke for dirt/racing. The only REAL maintenance iss adjusting the valves. They have lots and lots of low end torque/power, and plenty of speed to go along with it. There is no fuel mxing, and they are less likely to foul plugs (very common on 2strokes...unless you can stay in the power band most of the time). Plus, the 4strokes are quieter than the 2strokes. Top speeds are roughly the same in todays bikes.
For your, a 250 or up 4stroke would do the trick. A 450 may be a little much...but I don't know your skill level or riding terrain.

Just my opinion, and trust me...I am no expert!!

As you guys have said, lets say i decide to go four-stroke, what fourstroke would you recommend?

(INFO)

I'm 17

5' 10"

150lbs.

I've ridden my XR80 almost constantly since i was about 11, and i've even ridden on ice and held up really well. ;)

Any suggestions for a four-stoke dirtbike that i won't grow out of too fast, (and is in my price range)...my price range is around $2000-

Thanks for all the info everyone, you've all been a great help! I wish my dad was still around to help me decide...but you guys are like another family to me, thanks a lot everyone!
bowdown.gif

Back