Dirt Riders

SnapAttack

Donating Member
Registered
I need a dirt bike for trailing with my son. At 250lbs, will I need to go with a 400 or better or will a 250 pull me around ok? Keep in mind, I'm just using it for trails with the boy but will I be too bored? Too much stress on the motor with a 250? Any suggestions on models/year appreciated. Trying to be budget conscience here.
Thanks.

An XR400 or DRZ400 would be awesome bikes for trail riding. I would recommend the XR400 because it's got more of an aftermarket and I believe it's a better all around bike then the DRZ. I don't think you would be happy with the power of a 250 trail bike, and most of them aren't full sized. The XR400 will last forever with just oil changes so you can find a 90's model that will last you just fine. Plus, the XR400 has barely changed in the last 20 years.
As far as mods, I'd say get the bike first and then see what you don't like or would like to improve. Hand guards are a good starting point, as well as some good skid plates. I always change out the handle bars for a higher bend and a gripper seat cover helps stay in the seat.

Here is my two cents.....

I ride trails in the spring with my son..... He was on an CFR100 and is now on a CRF150 (Bad to the bone)

I bought a CRF450X because I wanted to make sure that the bike I got could haul my 260lbs around..... Now remember I have been riding bikes since I was 8yrs old, dirt, enduro, street, sportbikes you name it. When I gased that 450x the first time it scared the living hell out of me... first, second, third, front wheel was off the ground... Of you blip the throttle then wham your going where ever the front end is pointed......

Now with that information....

I have a friend that has a DR400 that he rode with me at the trails, we traded for awhile, and it is night and day. If your going to be on the street and dirt then a true Enduro is what you want, a little of the street and a little of the dirt, if you want dirt then IMHO dont get anything less than a dirt bike, if you have any plans on hitting doubles or tearing up a track you wont want to be on a street suspension.

I am used to the 450 power now so that isnt a problem, I rode a friends 250x and it will haul you around and make you smile or cry with the power it depends on how sick you are
smile.gif

Dont get sucked into the CC battle 400cc of street bike isnt the same as 400cc of dirtbike. Different suspensions, power and feel.

cap

DRZ 400 and Xr 400 are great choices. I had both a XR4 and a DRZ4. The DRZ is a far better bike then my XR was. imo. Both will run forever with very little maintenance.
You can also consider an older 250 2st. These can be had on the cheep! Plenty of power for your size.
Check out thumpertalk.com, that site is geared towards the DRZ but covers all dirt toys.

Latah..

Just got a 2007 250X this year. I am 6'4", 230# and it hauls me around very well. I was going for the 450x but it would be overkill for what I am doing with it now. The 250 is borderline overkill... for now.
cool.gif

4-stroke was my choice for less noise and wider powerband.
thumb_up.gif

Find an old Yamaha IT 490 two stroker.

That will haul you around nicely.

CRf 250 x ot the WR 250 are both great all new and have plenty of power. alot of people I ride with on the trails get way bigger bikes than they need. they struggle when the trails get tight and small, and they have all this power, a lot of them have buyers regret. I was lucky and was talked into a crf 230f I am not recomending it for you , but I am only 150 pounds it was the best choice I could have made. even though it is small it is perfect for the trails I ride on I can keep up with they guys on bigger bikes because they cant use there power on the trails. And i have to say that having and electric start is they way to go, waching these guys try to kick start there big bikes all day long is great.

You're gonna have fun on any of em...but, the KLR is the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles. I've been on a 5 state tour, been over 11 mountain passes in Colorado, explored single track for miles, rode on slickrock in Moab, Utah and done 900 mile days on this bike! It'll putt along all day at 5 mph on family exploration rides but at any given time 1-3 of them are going around the world! The aftermarket is amazing and the owners forums are like Hayabusa.org. Mine weighs 305 lbs. and can go on rides with big street bikes...I don't know, I guess I'm partial. Raydog

P1000707.JPG

CRf 250 x ot the WR 250 are both great all new and have plenty of power. alot of people I ride with on the trails get way bigger bikes than they need. they struggle when the trails get tight and small, and they have all this power, a lot of them have buyers regret. I was lucky and was talked into a crf 230f I am not recomending it for you , but I am only 150 pounds it was the best choice I could have made. even though it is small it is perfect for the trails I ride on I can keep up with they guys on bigger bikes because they cant use there power on the trails. And i have to say that having and electric start is they way to go, waching these guys try to kick start there big  bikes all day long is great.
oh yeah, the magic button
easybutton.png
... I like the magic button on the X! A reason I went with the X over R model!
super.gif

snap I think you need to make sure that you are looking for the right type of bike.... Trails can be many things.... if your wanting to do mountain trails or small roads and your going to be going through towns and riding on the street then I would get a bike with turn signals and the works... If your going to be trailering the bike to a trail then riding to keep up with your son, jump some hills, up and down canyons, I would get the CRF450x or 250x make sure you get the bike designed for the riding your going to do, there is nothing worse than being on the wrong bike.

snap I think you need to make sure that you are looking for the right type of bike.... Trails can be many things.... if your wanting to do mountain trails or small roads and your going to be going through towns and riding on the street then I would get a bike with turn signals and the works... If your going to be trailering the bike to a trail then riding to keep up with your son, jump some hills, up and down canyons, I would get the CRF450x or 250x make sure you get the bike designed for the riding your going to do, there is nothing worse than being on the wrong bike.
Well said Cap.
Dual purpose bikes will get you there on either road or trail but most not at 100% on either. I wouldn't want to be on some sandy bermed trails or woods on anything with marginal knobs, turn signals, etc., or on the street with knobbies and low gearing.

Doug do you still have the 450x? I may want to be stepping up to one when son upgrades to next bike, and after todays mud romp it won't be long! Was thinking about 2-stroke, or an CRF-R, but I do like the quiet, and the button!
cool.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Doug do you still have the 450x?[/quote]

Yep, ride it about once a week since it has been cold... spend 30 minutes in the pasture and put it back up...... The 450x is an animal...

That's what I've heard about it. My son and I hit the mud today. Was nice at 53*. The 250x can still scare me, but the day will come when a 450 will be calling my... names
argue.gif
2 strokes are fun though....

I bought a KTM 525 to keep up with my "baby" on his DRZ400. I'm a bit large at 270 so I wanted the extra umphf. It does a good job, but it's just a touch heavy for all day in the woods.

You're right though Charlie, the magic button is wonderful for those long days.

I still think the XR400 is your best bet. The CRFX and WR's are excellent bikes, but they struggle from the same problems the MX bikes do and that's alot of expensive upkeep. The motors need very expensive top end rebuilds and replacement pistons. The 400's will run forever with just oil changes and you won't have to worry about overheating like the water cooled bikes. I have a YZF 450 and it will cost me around $700 every 2 years in motor upkeep. I am still looking for a deal on an XR for my dedicated trail bike. The CRFX's and WR's are basically for enduro and TT racers, and are way overkill for traditional trail riding. Plus, the XR will cost less initially, and will hold a higher resale value than the CRFX and WR's, thus a lower cost of ownership.

As others have said, it does depends on the type of trails you are going to be riding.  Tight, slow, technical, trail riding rewards smooth, low end power with more compliant suspension setups.  Wider, open fire roads, sand pits, desert areas, are happy with snappy/more power and stiffer suspension setups.

Rider ability is important also.  Better, faster, more aggressive riders generally require stiffer suspension settings and can more easily adapt to more abrupt power response.

Four stroke vs two stroke.  Lots to talk about there (but, I won't).  Personal preference, maintenance cost/difficulty, power type, current trends.  It's your choice.

For tight, slower, trail riding a 250/400 four stroke or a 250 two stroke would probably be okay.  As the areas open up and get faster the larger bikes are more fun.

I have a 2001 Honda CR500 (two stroke) and my son has a 2004 Yamaha YZ450F (four stroke).  Riding in tight, slow, technical areas are not either bikes element and you will suffer.  Riding in more open/faster areas and WWWWWEEEEEEEE!!!!! - lots of fun.

What does your son ride? It makes a difference.  My daughter has a 2003 Yamaha TTR125 (four stroke).  When we ride together it is often difficult because of the contrast between the bike/rider combination (she is a novice with a slow, mellow bike and I am of intermediate ability with a fast bike).  I have considered buying a smaller, more mellow, 250 four stroke so I can ride with her more comfortably.

Another consideration, you are a Busa rider.  You obviously appreciate/enjoy powerful motorcycles.  Buying a bike that doesn't have some at least some snap might be disappointing.

IMHO look hard at the 250 two strokes (yeah, it's bucking the current four stroke trend - except for KTM - but the 250 two strokes are very flexible).  Light, powerful, can be tuned (engine and suspension) for tight trails or open areas.  Plus they are lots of fun.

Good luck in your decision.

Back