Dirt bike help

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Experienced riders please.

Did a few days of trails in WV, with a bunch of ATV riders. I took position as the last rider, so I can build enough distance in front of me when I needed to use the throttle in difficult stuff. That worked well until yesterday.

We had this one steep incline, with deep ruts or washouts. Also rocks and heavy uneven surface. All the ATV’s crawled up there no problem. Then came me, gave it gas, got enough speed at the bottom, but I had to throttle down a bit with all the bumps and rocks not to lose control. Three quarter ways up, my back wheel just lost traction and the bike just spinned out underneath me.

290lbs of bike lying in a rut. I could pick up the bike, but there was no way I could gain traction to get up the hill and if I put it in neutral, the front brake would not hold it, the bike would just start sliding down the slope. The bike was too heavy to turn around in the rut. I had to wait until the ATV guys came and it took three of us to turn that Husky around, so I can go downhill and ride out on a different route.

So the question is whether 290lbs is just too heavy for what I tried to do with this machine and would a dedicated dirt bike 40 lbs lighter have made a huge difference?

Or, is it just me needing more practice?

0C9C715E-FB0E-4115-9DF2-4345D4C2A0F3.jpeg

Experienced riders please.

Did a few days of trails in WV, with a bunch of ATV riders. I took position as the last rider, so I can build enough distance in front of me when I needed to use the throttle in difficult stuff. That worked well until yesterday.

We had this one steep incline, with deep ruts or washouts. Also rocks and heavy uneven surface. All the ATV’s crawled up there no problem. Then came me, gave it gas, got enough speed at the bottom, but I had to throttle down a bit with all the bumps and rocks not to lose control. Three quarter ways up, my back wheel just lost traction and the bike just spinned out underneath me.

290lbs of bike lying in a rut. I could pick up the bike, but there was no way I could gain traction to get up the hill and if I put it in neutral, the front brake would not hold it, the bike would just start sliding down the slope. The bike was too heavy to turn around in the rut. I had to wait until the ATV guys came and it took three of us to turn that Husky around, so I can go downhill and ride out on a different route.

So the question is whether 290lbs is just too heavy for what I tried to do with this machine and would a dedicated dirt bike 40 lbs lighter have made a huge difference?

Or, is it just me needing more practice?

View attachment 1601474
Looks like you just need a new rear tire. I run a Michelin M12. It’s great for the dirt and a rocks. I can’t see the hill but if is gets nasty in the middle or has a cliff face try to roll in to it slower and accelerate through it. Once you let off your done. Some time it’s pin and pray. I’m no pro rider but have rode for 19 years and love the trails and hills.

Where's @sixpack577 when we need him??
Most of my dirt experience is of the 4 wheel variety, quads and side by sides, but I know that when climbing, momentum is EVERYTHING. When you backed out of the throttle on the rough stuff early on, you were doomed. Should have found a different route at that stage. That forward momentum likely would have pushed you over the place where you lost traction. The added weight certainly didn't help, but I've seen big bikes with big riders handle gnarly hills. When in doubt, throttle it out!

How Tall are you ? I was @ EBR suspension last saturday a Big dirt bike tuner shop . They had the big screen going with riders / hill like you describe . Red bull guys , but not the stunt flip stuff . They were racing in the woods , and all the stupid hills they putted up using their long legs to walk the bike up. Like the bike was only moving itself while they straddled , and controlled it . The TV commentators said this was necessary to not send the bike down the slick slope of the mountain , and sure to cost the riders a place in the race .

How Tall are you ? I was @ EBR suspension last saturday a Big dirt bike tuner shop . They had the big screen going with riders / hill like you describe . Red bull guys , but not the stunt flip stuff . They were racing in the woods , and all the stupid hills they putted up using their long legs to walk the bike up. Like the bike was only moving itself while they straddled , and controlled it . The TV commentators said this was necessary to not send the bike down the slick slope of the mountain , and sure to cost the riders a place in the race .

I’m 5’ 9” but the real issue is my inseam is 31”, The bike seat is almost 38”. But no problem to use the legs while turning, mud or loose stuff. But I can’t get much of both legs down at the same time.
I think Mathew has it right.

jelly you could send down for a few weeks with a credit card . Ill find places to cut weight , and blow money on titanium hardware ;)

Can’t help much with the riding because I suck offroad but when backing back down the hill leave it in gear. Pull in the clutch and let it roll. Let out the clutch and it works like a rear brake.

Approach speed is the key to a hill such as this-that and tire positioning, always look for the best traction lane. If you get in a rut, that rut was made by tires that loosened up the soil/dirt underneath and will cause you to spin out. Throttle control and being in the proper gear is also something to watch. On a hill with ruts, you are better to pick the outside of the trail (either side). Looking and quickly reacting to different terrain is paramount and could be the difference between what happened to you and successfully climbing that hill r getting through a mud wallow, etc.

The weight of the bike won't affect it's ability to climb and navigate terrain, the weight will just cause you to work harder in moving it around. If you look at the dirt bikes of yesteryear, many of them were heavy old beasts but they were ridden in pretty tough terrain with no problem.

Stand on the pegs and move your body around the bike, if it loses traction, shift your weight over the rear of the seat, if it loses front tire contact, shift your weight over the front, etc...your body never stops moving on a dirt bike. This is why dirt biking is one of the most demanding motorsports.

I've logged many hours on dirt bikes and have been riding them since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Going through mud
do not put your feet
down stand up . . .

Seems wrong but it
balances the weight .

:super:

#BetterRearTire ~ #HayabusaEngineSwap *

Back