Did you get a bike with or without ABS? Worth it?

I love my Busa without abs , it is setup with good brakes and is an old school riders bike . The ZX14R I just bought however has abs ( you can turn off manually ) and I so far find it unobtrusive too my riding enjoyment . When I have taken the Kwaka for a run in the hills , I use minimum brake ( 2 finger always covered ready ) and aim for smooth flowing ride most of the time . I do plan on keeping it all , but allowing easier 'off' all the time and 'on' if / when I want .

My BMW has linked brakes and ABS. Flat out the most amazing brakes I have ever experienced on anything. Even with all the money I have put into the Hayabusa's stoppers they are still second to the BMW. It is a relief to simply not have to think about braking, just grab and squeeze and let the bike worry about how to best get things under control. Funny thing is, I have only actually noticed the ABS working one or two times. There was a little clicking but none of the crazy pulsing other systems make. The only tale tale sign is slow rolling stops where you grab a hand full and the brakes don't as firm as you might expect them to. When you grab the lever, the brakes are linked front and back - proportioned as needed of course. If you want to pivot the bike around like in a parking lot, then the rear brake controls the rear only. The Hayabusa ABS system is certainly not this good but it's pretty low key according to many I have talked to about it.

ABS is a better way to stop especially in a panic. I don't think I would ride a touring bike without them. When you are on the road you ride tired, and unexpected things should be expected. That's not opinion, it's fact - ABS is a better way to stop. Another consideration is all the cars around you have ABS and can easily out stop you.

So if I'm so sold on ABS why don't I have it on my Busa? My Busa is a different kind of riding experience, I'm focused on riding skillfully. I guess you could say my Busa is about the ride and the BMW is about the trip. But I will tell you honestly, an ABS Busa is safer than mine even with all the thousands in brake upgrades.

My BMW has linked brakes and ABS. Flat out the most amazing brakes I have ever experienced on anything. Even with all the money I have put into the Hayabusa's stoppers they are still second to the BMW. It is a relief to simply not have to think about braking, just grab and squeeze and let the bike worry about how to best get things under control. Funny thing is, I have only actually noticed the ABS working one or two times. There was a little clicking but none of the crazy pulsing other systems make. The only tale tale sign is slow rolling stops where you grab a hand full and the brakes don't as firm as you might expect them to. When you grab the lever, the brakes are linked front and back - proportioned as needed of course. If you want to pivot the bike around like in a parking lot, then the rear brake controls the rear only. The Hayabusa ABS system is certainly not this good but it's pretty low key according to many I have talked to about it.

ABS is a better way to stop especially in a panic. I don't think I would ride a touring bike without them. When you are on the road you ride tired, and unexpected things should be expected. That's not opinion, it's fact - ABS is a better way to stop. Another consideration is all the cars around you have ABS and can easily out stop you.

So if I'm so sold on ABS why don't I have it on my Busa? My Busa is a different kind of riding experience, I'm focused on riding skillfully. I guess you could say my Busa is about the ride and the BMW is about the trip. But I will tell you honestly, an ABS Busa is safer than mine even with all the thousands in brake upgrades.
Which BMW do you have?

Which BMW
do you have ?

:super:

#ArchGotOneOfThese ~ #K1600GT ~ #WillieHas6Cylinders ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
Just heard a click noise in suburbia the other day , wondered what it was , must have been the abs .
In Australia anyway , if you go and mess with the abs on your streetbike , like disconnect it permanently etc. , and then are involved in any traffic altercation and this is discovered , well you will be in the poo ....

Just heard a click noise in suburbia the other day , wondered what it was , must have been the abs .
In Australia anyway , if you go and mess with the abs on your streetbike , like disconnect it permanently etc. , and then are involved in any traffic altercation and this is discovered , well you will be in the poo ....

And not just around your ankles either...:D

Back