Did you get a bike with or without ABS? Worth it?

umairhashmi

Registered
I had a minor crash on my last bike a little over a decade ago when I gave it too much front brake and it locked up, when I let go of the brake the bike fell sideways soon as it the front wheel started rolling again. So this time I paid the few hundred extra bucks extra and got the ABS version. I do all street riding (no track) and worry about cars pulling out in front of me. Was getting the ABS a smart choice?

I had a minor crash on my last bike a little over a decade ago when I gave it too much front brake and it locked up, when I let go of the brake the bike fell sideways soon as it the front wheel started rolling again. So this time I paid the few hundred extra bucks extra and got the ABS version. I do all street riding (no track) and worry about cars pulling out in front of me. Was getting the ABS a smart choice?
You should get quite a few mixed answers on this but mine came with abs and I wasn't really sure I wanted it seeing as the dealer kept trying to push to a zx14 and part of the reason I didn't wanna it was all the electronics made me feel as I didn't need talent to ride it. Not long after I was out for a ride with the wife on back and as I took off had a car pull out in front of me and when she actually seen me she stopped cold, having the wife on thr back and nowhere to go and not wanting to lay it down I did thr only thing left and grabbed a hand full of brakes and stabbed on the rear. The abs kicked in and I stopped quick enough to not hit her and didn't have to lay the bike down this actually made me decide to leave it on as I had been thinking about removing it. I've gotten used to the brakes now and figured out with just a quick double pump of the lever I can get the feedback I personally need as im fast from being @c10 in the way I ride but I'm not real gentle either, but my opinion is it is one thing I do like as far as the electronics aspect but like I said many will have different views and ride in different ways which will play a part in the ultimate answer.

I had a 09 Busa and sold it, decided I wanted another or was faced with the choice of whether I wanted to get one with or w/o ABS. I found two nice low mileage bikes a 2012 with 2100 miles and a 2015 with 321 miles on it. The 2015 was listed at $1000 higher than the other. I was less concerned about the ABS but more interested in the updated brakes which for me made the extra $1000 worth it for me. So ABS was solely an added bonus and secondary to having the better braking components. This is my first bike with ABS I have no complaints and I like it any concern I have related to ABS would be related to maintenance or it’s just one more thing to go wrong at some point. (Abs light is on in my car now smh)

Riding the roads I ride and often two up at that, in the rain and such I find ABS to be a nice addition to the tool box should the need arise

It fell when you stopped the gyroscopic effect of the wheel spinning, not when it started again. That's what enables a moving bike to stay upright.
If abs provides you with an added layer of safety, either real or imagined, go for it.

I had bikes with and without. I'm ok with either but there is something comforting that in a panic stop I can just grab a handful of brakes. Especially if they are linked.

With any bike I have I practice hard braking.

I agree completely about practicing hard braking, but I despise linked brakes.
I am sure my cbr1krr or the busas don’t have linked brakes but what are the disadvantages of having linked brakes? I keep reading in all emergency situations using both front and rear brakes together gives you the shortest stopping distance.

I agree completely about practicing hard braking, but I despise linked brakes.

I thought I would too.... Surprisingly the linked braking system on my 900+lb tractor AKA Harley Davidson works quite well. I can damn near stop on a dime with it. The linked braking doesn’t come on abruptly or erratically. It’s quite smooth and seems to know just how much is needed to slow down in a hurry. Had a couple close calls with cars pulling out and deer. The bike slowed down didn’t lose traction or feel like it was getting away from me. Slowed down and stayed straight/upright. With that being said they do have dual Brembo calipers up front and I replaced front suspension internals with a quality aftermarket spring/ cartridge setup which I’m sure aids in the situations

Isn’t there a way to disable the abs system through the ecu? If you didn’t like it you could always take it out if so.

My 06 doesn’t have it of course but my current and previous cars have it as does my new Kawasaki. I feel no difference when braking, no pulsing, nothing. The brakes work very well and I can’t feel any difference. Regardless, I still use the rear brake off pavement or in gravel sections.

I am sure my cbr1krr or the busas don’t have linked brakes but what are the disadvantages of having linked brakes? I keep reading in all emergency situations using both front and rear brakes together gives you the shortest stopping distance.
I thought I would too.... Surprisingly the linked braking system on my 900+lb tractor AKA Harley Davidson works quite well. I can damn near stop on a dime with it. The linked braking doesn’t come on abruptly or erratically. It’s quite smooth and seems to know just how much is needed to slow down in a hurry. Had a couple close calls with cars pulling out and deer. The bike slowed down didn’t lose traction or feel like it was getting away from me. Slowed down and stayed straight/upright. With that being said they do have dual Brembo calipers up front and I replaced front suspension internals with a quality aftermarket spring/ cartridge setup which I’m sure aids in the situations
I can see why some people like the linked brakes, I'm just not one of those people. If I'm braking hard the rear wheel is on the ragged edge of traction, I don't like it being out of my control. Also, it makes it harder to do rolling burnouts....

I'll throw some info in . THE FJR1300 ABS was terrible it would kick in way to early , and shudder hard . Now its linked brakes were rear brake applied would activate the right from bottom pistons ( 2 ) on one caliper only .
If front only was applied nothing would happen out back . Lever feel was good on the FJR . @ Drag strip doing a burn out would cause a ABS code that took 20 miles to clear of normal riding .

Hayabusa ABS testing . Smooth , and would not lock up . I once was going 45 mph roughly , and stood up . Then applied all my weight to the rear brake . A tiny chirp for milliseconds then just slowing down .
Straight up , and down cruising 60 ish mph applied front / rear HARD at same time . Nothing but smooth slow down very rapidly . Lever always felt like crap no mater what .

Hayabusa after ABS delete , and Upgrades like rotors/pads/master cylinder / lines make for a amazing combination I wouldn't give back . One finger stoppie capability. Amazing feel , and feed back . Stops far shorter than when the abs was on .

Do I recommend ABS delete ? For me of course , but you have to decide for yourself ;)

I would like to have ABS for the rear brake as I use it all the time. Front I dont want it and dont need it!

I wonder for a novice rider how much abs helps if they happen to yank on the brakes WHILST leaned over on the street in case you were in a corner and suddenly come across a stopped car, animal etc?

Where is the sensor mounted for the rear? In the brake hanger? I have a 2013 that was deleted but would like to add sensors for traction control. If anybody can set me up LMK.

I saw the right front fork leg. I suspected the hanger which I didn't get with my bike so I would need to get one of them too. Maybe sensors aren't that much new.
I still have my ABS hanger on the bike . If you have a non abs one I can trade you

Back