Hope you like ABS! Will be mandatory in the EU come 2016

jphilipson

Registered
Looks like the EU passed a requirement for all bikes over 50cc to have ABS by 2016. Most likely it will be easier for manufacturers to make them that way everywhere to comply.

ABS mandatory on motorcycles from 2016
By Isabelle Smets | Wednesday 07 December 2011

Anti-lock braking systems (ABS) will be mandatory on all new motorcycles of more than 50cc from 2016, according to a vote by the European Parliament Committee on the Internal Market (IMCO), on 5 December in Brussels. It pushed forward by one year the date initially proposed by the European Commission in a draft regulation presented in late 2010 on the approval of Category L vehicles, namely two or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles. The industry is reluctant, pointing out that the measure will be costly. But according to the FIA (Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile), what is most important is that it should save hundreds of lives every year.

“Delaying mandatory introduction of ABS cannot be justified for reasons of availability or price,†commented the Director-General of the Brussels office of FIA, Jacob Bangsgaard. He notes that the cost of ABS is negligible compared with the total cost of a motorcycle – around 2% of the price of a 125cc vehicle – and its large-scale introduction will further reduce these costs. MEP Kerstin Westphal (Germany), who negotiated for the S&D group, shares that view: “I am strongly convinced that neither the cost of materials nor applications is exorbitantly high,†she said. Rapporteur Wim van de Camp (EPP, Netherlands) prefers to highlight the safety argument: “Seventeen percent of road casualties are motorcyclists, moped riders and scooter riders, while they account for only 2% of all traffic,†he noted.

The Federation of European Motorcyclists’ Associations (FEMA) has concerns about another aspect of the report: MEPs introduce new provisions making technical inspections mandatory in case of substantial modifications to a vehicle, to improve its performances, for example. “This will mean that all the usual changes motorcyclists make for riding comfort, fuel efficiency or simply to suit their riding style will be illegal or will have to be checked and approved,†notes Aline Delhaye, FEMA secretary-general. This type of adaptation “has never been a problem so far and there is no reason why it should become a problem tomorrow,†in her view. The FEMA does not intend to give up and warns that it will continue to press for a change.

The report is expected to be put before the EP plenary, on 13 February 2012. Meanwhile, the Council, Parliament and Commission will embark on talks to try to come to an agreement at first reading (co-decision).
“Delaying mandatory introduction of ABS cannot be justified for reasons of availability or priceâ€

Europolitics

It's ok by me I am not a racer I am guessing some of the track heads may be pissed off... when they buy a high performance bike with track use in mind :laugh:

I wish my Hayabusa had ABS... in fact, I wish Suzuki would at least make it an option on the new bikes. The B-King got it, why didn't the Heavy Bus?

OK looks like it works, but why is the guy on the non ABS bike just braking like a **** and not using his rider skills ???

After 38 years with a full motorcycle license I reckon ABS and traction control are by now built into my right wrist

Not saying its not usefull just don't like the comparison.

Best regards Stretch

I don't think the busa will be around in 2016 so it really won't matter on this bike.. It works no doubt about it...

I love it on my King. Has saved me 3 times already (in 2.5 years) from dumping the bike. Honda already has a race version of ABS so I imagine it will be no big deal for the racers in 2016.

Racers don't need ABS because of a couple of things: First, they know exactly when they are going to brake, second they don't have 5,000 lb SUV's sharing the track with them and third everyone on the track is heading in the same direction. It's just simple common sense that ABS can help a road rider make consistently better, safer stops in all kinds of conditions and whether or not they reacter in a timely, appropriately manner.

The ABS and traction control systems on cars has gotten so good you don't even realize it's there. So now the soccor Mom that's texting to her kid that she's on the way can stop when she notices you at the last minute. There is something to the argument that electronic controls lessen the advantages of being a more talented racer and therefore it acts to "equalize" racing. But any committed road rider will take any advantage they can get, and ABS without a doubt is an advantage.

Whenever I hear riders say "my TC is my right hand" or "if you know how to brake you don't need ABS" I know they don't see themselves primarily as road riders, they are racers who ride on the road. I don't race, so I don't really care how my skills compare to the next guy's. I just want to have fun and get home in one piece. From that perspective, electronics rider aids are a positive development.

There are so many expert riders in the world training each day, threshold braking on both dry, wet conditions and all road surfaces it would be a waste of time. No computer can out stop them. They never panic brake and never crash. You can spot the very best riders, they don't wear any gear.
:laugh:

No one can make a motorcycle idiot proof no matter WTF they attach to the system. I have no problem with offering electronic gadgits as options but I do have a problem with legislation forcing such devices on every individual.

It's Choice, not Chance that determines your destiny!

I would much prefer to see mandatory training in order to get a motorcyle license as well as annual or bi-annual training becoming mandatory to keep your license. Airplane pilots are required to take a bi-annual flight review in order to keep there license. This has made airplane travel the safest means of transportation on earth. Why now require the same from mororcyclist?

You can't make an airplane idiot proof nor can you make a motorcycle idiot proof but you can legislate the skill level in order for anyone to operate either vehicle.

Good judgment and common sense seems to have illuded all who possess the desires to seek public office? :dunno:

No one can make a motorcycle idiot proof no matter WTF they attach to the system. I have no problem with offering electronic gadgits as options but I do have a problem with legislation forcing such devices on every individual.

I would much prefer to see mandatory training in order to get a motorcyle license as well as annual or bi-annual training becoming mandatory to keep your license. Airplane pilots are required to take a bi-annual flight review in order to keep there license. This has made airplane travel the safest means of transportation on earth. Why now require the same from mororcyclist?

You can't make an airplane idiot proof nor can you make a motorcycle idiot proof but you can legislate the skill level in order for anyone to operate either vehicle.

Good judgment and common sense seems to have illuded all who possess the desires to seek public office? :dunno:

Not to be arguementative but you think buying a bike with ABS is more intrusive than forcing you to take a bunch of courses?:cookoo: I would personally love to take every rider course there is, but it seems to me good judgment and common sense seems to have illuded all who can't see the wisdom in ABS on street bikes.

I might also point out that planes are chock full of pilot assist electronics, it ain't all skill keeping accidents down.

And the pro/con argument that always comes up at the mention of ABS is why I'd like to see it remain as an option. Those that want it could have it, those that don't, don't have to have (and pay an extra $1K for) it.

Back