Motorcycle Killed My Son

well I understand her pain, due to having my friends get killed on a bike. having said that, its not the bike that killed them, the rider is the one controlling the bike and controls how fast they go, you have to be alert every second on any bike not just a sport bike. I dont think calling this kid an idiot is the right thing to say, he was just inexperienced. Have some respect for the mother of this kid. May he rest in peace.
I respect the kid. He just made a bad decision. Is he an idiot? Depends on who you talk to. Is it that people are angry at him that they are lashing out out him and calling him stupid. No. It's the mothers overreaction. Her late responding to a problem that started long before he swung his leg over the bike.

There is plenty of things that could be changed. Yes I think there should be a law that they have to see an endorsement on your license before you drive off the lot. Would that have changed things in this case? Maybe. Who knows.

In the end, the mother is reaching for anything to make it not her little boys fault that he is dead. Her actions are normal. No one wants to think of a loved one like that. Unfortunately she has decided that his actions were all sound and it was the motorcycle that was the problem. That has started her on a "crusade" to ruin something we all love.

Sad, but she is probably going to try and destroy something that her son truly loved and enjoyed, albiet for a short time.

I just sent a letter to the Editor & I encourage everyone to do so.

Dear Mr. Rupkalvis,

I am very concerned about your publishing a very one sided, dicriminatory article towards motorcycles. I am not a 20 something kid. I am a 43 year old professional Father of two. My Wife & I both ride "Sportbikes," as they are correctly named, not "Crotch Rockets." I have ridden & road raced for over 30 years and am aware of what it takes to effectively control a motorcycle.

Mom: Motorcycle killed my son

Why did you fail to mention in your article that he ran a stop sign?

Graham man killed in motorcycle accident

Graham man killed in motorcycle accident
Friday, September 28, 2007
Chris Hunnewell

A local man was killed Thursday night when his motorcycle ran into a semi-truck trailer just south of Fort Worth.
Max Valdez, 20, was riding southbound shortly before midnight on a 2007 Yamaha motorcycle on Old Burleson Road 14 miles south of Fort Worth where he ran a stop sign and struck the trailer of Kenworth model truck traveling east on Garden Acres Road. Preliminary reports, explained Fort Worth Police traffic investigation unit Sgt. Rodney Bangs, revealed the intersection was not lighted, but road conditions were dry. The motorcycle driver, he added, tried to stop, but under rode the cycle into the trailer.

Observations:

1. He broke the law by running a stop sign.

2. He broke the law by speeding.

3. He broke the law by being an unlicensed driver.

4. Max was probably was not wearing appropriate safety gear, even though he, "raced dirt?"

5. Excessive speeding on a residential street. Slid 280 feet - that equates w/ a skid calculator to a speed of 90-100mph.

6. Years of dirt riding may help in some situations, but the riding styles are very different. The acceleration of a dirt bike is actually faster than a sportbike.

7. Laying it down to "save your life" is the worst possible choice. Braking hard until impact will do the most good, & the brakes on these motorcycles are incredibly effective.

8. No license is required to purchase an automobile either, but driving a car and wrecking is still the operator's fault.

Since when are we not responsible for our own actions??

Your article has been posted on numerous motorcycle forums & there is quite a discussion about it. We are all sorry that a young man died, but he died because of his own self inflicted behavior.

This is one of the largest motorcycle forums in the world - see what people have to say.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/95038-motorcycle-killed-my-son.html

Respectfully,

Michael Capps

:thumbsup:Great letter :beerchug:

its sad but none the less this story is a big load of crap. it sounds to me like he was trying to show for his buddies.

I feel for her loss. As a parent myself, this is a tragedy I hope to never experience one day.

However...

I don't agree with the way she throws the slang term "crotch rocket." That's just plain ignorance. 2nd, her son didn't have an endorsment, thus, no training on how to handle a sportbike. 3rd, why is he "looking back" at his friends, smiling, while opening her up, possibly WOT. Sounds to me like he's showing off. and lastly, even if she were to take this up to the highest courts our governments have to offer, the big 4 have so much money and resources and the best lawyers that she cannot possibly win. Also, many of the brochures, print ads, owner's manual, etc have the disclaimer for supersports and superbikes "for experienced riders only." The big 4 also recommend training grounds such as MSF to improve rider skill/safety.

She can do all the research she wants but one thing is for certain, "governors" are already placed on liter and hyperbikes and limited to 186mph. The OEM's have developed the latest breed of sportbikes from results they get from the racetrack and racing. Today's 600's, although "dumb downed" are racebikes with mirrors and lights. So rider skill and experience are more crucial than ever.

I, myself, came from the motocross racing/dirt biking background so the skills learned about bike control DO apply to street/racetrack riding and are of great benefit. The problem is that Max did not allow for enough time to get aquainted with the differences, especially HP/brake usage/countersteering/body positioning, to translate that experience to street. Although dirt bikes and streetbikes are the same in that they have 2 wheels, they still are totally different breeds. You can look at superfast kids (the Redbull Rookies Cup racers for example) and see that they're within 6 to 8 seconds/lap of Ben Spies and Mat Mladin. Many have never ridden a street bike and come from dirt riding. But with enough time to transition from dirt to tarmac, these kids can easily outride all of us. Some of them will certainly have AMA pro racing, WSBK, or even MotoGP careers one day (Benny Solis for example).

As sad as I feel for Max (R.I.P.) his mother does need to do more research and speak directly to the OEM's, other riders, and even racers to get more perspective on the sportbike culture.

I read the article and there are so many other questions that are begging to be answered. How far was the truck when it decided to turn in front of her son? Was the truck ticketed for failure to yield the right of way? If the truck was in the wrong than mother should blame the truck driver. No matter what, experience would have helped her son. I remember when I first got the hayabusa, I had some bike experience with other bikes. But, you had to learn all over with this bike. I was always amazed that I had to think twice as fast on a hayabusa than other bikes, it covered more distance faster than anything I had been on before. If her son could had lived a few more months riding the bike, he might had been ok. RIP.

In the end it's possible that two people were responsible for his death. He was for riding in the manner portrayed in the article. It's one thing to ride hard, and another to ride hard and turn around to look at trailing friends. The truck driver for turning in front of him.

I feel sorry for her and wish her well.

Scratch that, dude ran a stop sign :banghead:

I feel for her loss. As a parent myself, this is a tragedy I hope to never experience one day.

However...

I don't agree with the way she throws the slang term "crotch rocket." That's just plain ignorance. 2nd, her son didn't have an endorsment, thus, no training on how to handle a sportbike. 3rd, why is he "looking back" at his friends, smiling, while opening her up, possibly WOT. Sounds to me like he's showing off. and lastly, even if she were to take this up to the highest courts our governments have to offer, the big 4 have so much money and resources and the best lawyers that she cannot possibly win. Also, many of the brochures, print ads, owner's manual, etc have the disclaimer for supersports and superbikes "for experienced riders only." The big 4 also recommend training grounds such as MSF to improve rider skill/safety.

She can do all the research she wants but one thing is for certain, "governors" are already placed on liter and hyperbikes and limited to 186mph. The OEM's have developed the latest breed of sportbikes from results they get from the racetrack and racing. Today's 600's, although "dumb downed" are racebikes with mirrors and lights. So rider skill and experience are more crucial than ever.

I, myself, came from the motocross racing/dirt biking background so the skills learned about bike control DO apply to street/racetrack riding and are of great benefit. The problem is that Max did not allow for enough time to get aquainted with the differences, especially HP/brake usage/countersteering/body positioning, to translate that experience to street. Although dirt bikes and streetbikes are the same in that they have 2 wheels, they still are totally different breeds. You can look at superfast kids (the Redbull Rookies Cup racers for example) and see that they're within 6 to 8 seconds/lap of Ben Spies and Mat Mladin. Many have never ridden a street bike and come from dirt riding. But with enough time to transition from dirt to tarmac, these kids can easily outride all of us. Some of them will certainly have AMA pro racing, WSBK, or even MotoGP careers one day (Benny Solis for example).

As sad as I feel for Max (R.I.P.) his mother does need to do more research and speak directly to the OEM's, other riders, and even racers to get more perspective on the sportbike culture.

Well Put, And i hope :please: your right about the "big four" thing! Becuase a grieving Mother, with the right backing can move Mountains(so to speak)! Just take a look at M.A.D.(Not that this was a bad thing, just an example of what a few grieving mothers accomplished).

So I wrote the editor. His response:

Jefferey,
For the record, this story was in no ways meant to tell the story of motorcycles. It was a story about one person and her trouble coping with her son's death a year earlier. I was in no ways trying to be accurate or was not trying to research anything. It's a feature story only.

David

Edit: I mentioned that I read all the articles about this accident including the report.

Last edited:
So I wrote the editor. His response:

Jefferey,
For the record, this story was in no ways meant to tell the story of motorcycles. It was a story about one person and her trouble coping with her son's death a year earlier. I was in no ways trying to be accurate or was not trying to research anything. It's a feature story only.

David

Edit: I mentioned that I read all the articles about this accident including the report.

He has still not responded to my e-mail.

He has still not responded to my e-mail.
I am not as intimidating as you sir. Look at his spelling... as an editor I would expect him to be able to spell and use proper gramar. He couldn't even spell my name right and I put it at the bottom of my email...

My condolences to the family unfortunately grief sometimes blinds people to the truth. Because it seems clear from what I read as to the reason for the tragedy and it was clearly not the sport bikes fault. Negligence can kill anyone anywhere anytime doing anything. riding a cycle, driving a car, crossing the street, even drinking at the local bar.

I think it is natural for a parent who is hurting to lash out at the easiest thing to blame. This is truly a terrible loss for her, or anyone. The truth is, the bike didn't kill her son, he died from not paying attention it sounds like. And on a spiritual level, it was his time to go. Not much you can do to change that.

Just my 2 cents.

P.

The dealer practices and state laws are a moot point.

What if he borrowed the bike from the same friend his was smiling back at? All the parenting and state laws in the world would not stop him from the choice he made.

This thinking leads to freedoms being lost. The mother's "research" and conclusions are lacking and dangerous. She needs to be helped with her grief.

The paper that ran this letter should be ashamed. It is irresponible and printed to sale a newspaper, not help this woman. This issue can ignite knee-jerk reactions that will ruin many other lives and not save them. If the paper had good intentions get grief help for this woman!

The dealer practices and state laws are a moot point.

What if he borrowed the bike from the same friend his was smiling back at? All the parenting and state laws in the world would not stop him from the choice he made.

This thinking leads to freedoms being lost. The mother's "research" and conclusions are lacking and dangerous. She needs to be helped with her grief.

The paper that ran this letter should be ashamed. It is irresponible and printed to sale a newspaper, not help this woman. This issue can ignite knee-jerk reactions that will ruin many other lives and not save them. If the paper had good intentions get grief help for this woman!
That would be responsible journalism. And that just isn't sensational enough. :whistle:

My condolences to the family unfortunately grief sometimes blinds people to the truth. Because it seems clear from what I read as to the reason for the tragedy and it was clearly not the sport bikes fault. Negligence can kill anyone anywhere anytime doing anything. riding a cycle, driving a car, crossing the street, even drinking at the local bar.
All bikes should be banned...as well as anything else that can hurt you, like cars/trucks/planes/trains/bicycles/guns/slippery shoes/sharp objects/skimpy outfits on women/alcohol/salt/grease/stressful situations/hiking/swimming/boating blah blah blah blah. And we can't forget walking upright...extremely dangerous. Its shocking the number of people that die each year from the impact/complications of falls ::11 People should never die......or have accidents ever. Sounds like a pretty achievable goal to me :thumbsup:
We definately need to do whatever it takes to protect everybody, in every way, from everything that could hurt them, in any way, shape or form :laugh:

there should be somthin done ,

Agree with a license (at least a permit) to buy a bike .

probably should have to have proof of insurance too .

and yeah the dealership should at least advertise a motorcycle school , and maybe include it in thier financing .

I went ti buy a jet ski few years back , there was a guy and a girl buying a 10 (1000cc) as I was pulling in , He stalled the bike 3 times while triing to pull out in traffic , fourth time he hit it 12 o clock and back down hard , then off again real fast . the salesmen were laughing . anyway the ski wasnt ready had to return in a few hours , went back saw same bike laying down on a flatbed truck wrecked with the woman who financed it for whom I thought was her other , anyway apparently they only new each other for a short time she financed the bike , put the title in his name , he made it 15 miles from the dealer and slid through a red light and got creamed and airlifted she had the bike picked up and was triing to return it ? no insurance / the guy not only had no mc license but also no drivers license so he had 15 miles of fun followed by years of pain n rehab ? she had 11 grand worth of financed debt at 30% interest

It wasnt the salesmens fault

but could have been prevented .

kind of like a hunting license

some body tellin you not to be an asshat for two days before your allowed to shoot sumthin

Anyway cant imagine her pain of loosing a child , no matter what the circumstances were .

I didn't read the thread so if someone else already said this, I'm sorry.

It really pisses me off that people are so anxious to blame the government all the time. Instead of taking responsibility for themselves, they prefer to have the government make all their decisions for them, protect them from every conceivable danger, and rule their roost. They invite tyrrany by their inability to confront the realities of life.

What people are so willing to have the government do they should be doing in their own homes. She wants the gov't to step in and manage motorcycles. Why didn't she instruct her son? She is avoiding her own responsibility for having not taught her son about this kind of danger. Her son broke the law by not getting a motorcycle endorsement.

I sympathize with her for her loss. I sympathize with her son for having lost his life and a bright future. I assure you, however, the government had laws in place and the son ignored the law. The mother never taught the son about doing things the right way.

After all is said and done, however, the throttle was twisted, not by the crotch rocket but by the rider. If there is responsibility to be borne, it is by the rider and no other. The article said, he took his eyes off the road to wave at his friends. That's just not a good thing, even if you survive the event.

Regardless of any other discussion, accidents do happen. It may not have been anyone's fault, per se, but it happened. In spite of the errors and law-breaking and blaming that is going on, it may not have been anyone's "fault." Preventable? Quite possibly. Faultable? Who knows?

--Wag--

Man, it is not about taking responsability. That's what is used as a poor excuse for some legislators to pass laws that resemble a comunist dictatorship. People, for the most part, are responsible. The older you get the more responsible you become, and that's a fact of life. Even if every single one of us ,on a personal level or the society as a whole, would show good judgment, you'd still find some political "figure" trying to come up with some laws that somehow regulate something that would affect everyone on a personal level in the name of "safety". I can go on and on but i believe you're getting my drift.

Back