Touring on a busa

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:times'></span><div align="left">[/Quote]<span style='color:sienna'></span>

I’ve been seriously touring on my ’86 Venture since I purchased it new in ’87 – I’ve done about 2/3 of the USA plus small parts of Canada. Although it’s unquestionably the best sport tour I’ve ever owned, prior to that I was a crotch-rocket racer – any time, anywhere and for any reason (including no reason at all). I truly miss that.

With that said my inquiry will make some sense. Anyone out there tour on a busa – with bags?

<!--EDIT|Santa Fe Dremin'
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085547538 -->

Well, I have only had my Busa for 2 months now....

I went down to portland from Vancouver BC non-stop besides gas and all I had for luggage was a tank bag. It was great! I'm glad I put on the reapers risers though. I've also did 7 hours in day and found that to fine as well. I just installed a ZG sport tour windscreen for touring. I plan on putting alot of miles on this summer and I will be going on many trips. I'm going from Vancouver BC to Prince Albert, Sask in June....that's a good ride.

Cheers

I've taken mine on a couple of all day adventures (10+hrs in the saddle) and its been very comfortable for me. I do know that there's a guy in the IBC that made his coast to coast journey on a busa, I think he might even be a member on this site
rock.gif
Anyway, I think you'd find that the busa can definately offer you the best of both worlds and there are several luggage options out there from what I have heard/seen.

just my 2c worth
smile.gif

I'm geared up to start touring.

Some details:

I'm a good sized guy - 6'3", 255 lbs. The Busa is big enough to fit me comfortably.

I use the following bags:
Nelson-Rigg Strap-on Tank Bag
Nelson-Rigg Sphere Saddlebags
Nelson-Rigg Tail Bag

Here's the gear listing that goes in those:
Rain Gear, Rain Gloves, Rain Boots, Joe Rocket Blaster Jacket, Tent (2 person), Riding Gloves, 2 Sleeping Bags, 3 Pillows (2 camp, one regular - gotta have my pillow...), 2 Mattress Pads, Axe, Flashlight, Spare Batteries for Flashlight, 3x Lighters, Lantern, Spare Batteries for Lantern, Buell Oil, Hayabusa Oil, First Aid Kit, Sunscreen, Chain Oil, Glass Cleaner Wipes, Air Pressure Gauge, Leatherman Tool, Spare Key - Buell, Cell Phone, Maps, Camera, Film, Bug Repellant, "Itch Stop" Bug Bite Cream, Shoes, Baseball Hat, Spare Glasses, Razor, Shaving Cream, Soap, Q-Tips, 2x Washcloths, Floss, 2x Toothbrushes, Toothpicks, Toothpaste, Hairbrush, Shampoo, Deodorant, Motrin, Toilet Paper, Wet Naps, Chapstick, Hair Dryer, Allergy Medicine, 2 pair Shower Shoes.

I've got some extra room left over, wifey's bike carriers the clothing mostly - her's is much smaller than the Busa, so we weight down the Busa - it can take it.

<!--EDIT|PacerX
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085583612 -->

Man, Pacer, you've got a lot of stuff in those bags. What size are those sleeping bags that you can get 2 of them in there? Maybe I'm just used to the military sleeping bags, but that is quite impressive!

BTW, Santa Fe, I don't tour myself, but there are quite a few people that do and they say its great. The reaper risers are important for comfort and having the right accompaniment is important, but I'm sure you know what to bring since you've been doing it a while. I believe you would enjoy touring on the 'Busa, but I might be a little biased!

Man, Pacer, you've got a lot of stuff in those bags.  What size are those sleeping bags that you can get 2 of them in there?  Maybe I'm just used to the military sleeping bags, but that is quite impressive!
They're standard size, 75"x36" or something like that.

The trick is that you don't need anything that is rated below 40 degrees in Michigan in the summer, and you get a bag to stuff them and the pillows in.

Waterproof the bag, then put it (and some other stuff) in the waterproof bag that the saddlebags come with and you're golden.

Honestly, the damned jacket is the hardest thing to pack. Because of the armor, it ends up being pretty bulky.

The tent and the mattress pads fit crossways into the tail bag, I had to cut out the inner panels on two of the sides, but that was no biggy. The tent and the mattress pads can get a little wet - the tent is waterproof and the pads are plastic so they shed water well.

The other trick is packing everything you can in ziploc bags. Water is persistent stuff.

One other problem is sunscreen bottles exploding, so pack that in its own ziploc or you'll get it everywhere.

You are right about the jacket and the armour plating. That can be a bear to pack away. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of all your stuff when you load it the next time!

Hey fellas, been motorcycle camping on my '99 Busa for a long while. We have about 58,000 miles together. Longest single day was 830 miles from Oceanside, CA to Fruita, Colorado. I have a "double bubble" from Zero Gravity, stock seat, Heli Bars and use Tourmaster Cor-Tech saddlebags. I gave up on the tank bag, just got in the way too much. I use a 4300cc backpacking pack transversely across the rear seat that is the same width as the saddlebags. The inner frame stays add some support and I can carry stuff easier when I get to where I'm going. Holds the same amount as the tank bag combo. I usually strap my large tent (3+) to the pack inside a folded blue tarp as a bundle. Helps keep stuff dry. Then I run a 1 1/2 strap with a quick clasp under the rear seat of the bike and over the pack/tent and tie it down tight. Strap a bungie net over that, and I'm good to go. I can usually wedge more stuff under the net as I go if I need to. I've hit an indicated 150 mph out on Hwy 40 with this arrangement and was still accelerating since I can tuck under the screen with no tank bag in my way. Only on a 'Busa! The bike is most comfortable between 80-100 mph. She works OK in the dirt to, but not for long rides, or soft soil. Front end sinks and starts to plow so you need to keep a little speed. She's a little lacking on leg room but OK for my 5'7" build. I think taller people would feel cramped. Vibration can be noticeable, keep the stock bar end weights and the "rubber sandwich" handlebar mount. One of the nicest things about a 'Busa is the tall gearing that allows the bike to cruise effortlessly at speed. Hoping to leave for a very long trip in July that will cover about 9 states. Been dreaming of this for years. All in all I have had many good adventures on this bike, as well as some times when the ol' spincter muscle got a good work out, but that is part of the fun, right?

Back