Motorcycle Killed My Son

MPH 200

Donating Member
Registered
This should generate some lively discussion.

Mom: Motorcycle killed my son

Mom: Motorcycle killed my son
Friday, September 19, 2008
David Rupkalvis

Max Valdez

By David Rupkalvis
editor@grahamleader.com

Almost one year ago, Cyndi Martin learned firsthand how dangerous high-speed motorcycles known as crotch rockets can be.
On Sept. 27, 2007, Martin’s life was turned upside down when her son, Max Valdez, was killed riding a crotch rocket. Valdez died one block from his home, riding on a street he had been on hundreds of times.
The difference on that night was Valdez was riding a crotch rocket for the first time.
Max Valdez grew up riding motorcycles, excelling on dirt tracks.
“He rode dirt bikes, raced them for years,â€￾ Martin said. “But this isn’t a bike. Those things will go zero to 60 in four seconds.â€￾

That speed is what killed Valdez. Martin said he bought his motorcycle at 6 p.m. on Sept. 27, drove around for a little bit and came home. At 11:45 p.m., he went out with two friends, accelerated down the street, smiled back at his friends and turned around to see a semi-truck turning in front of him.
On a normal motorcycle, that would have been fine, but with the acceleration rate of a crotch rocket, Valdez was going too fast to stop. He did the only thing he could to try to save his life, dropping the motorcycle and trying to slide under the semi. Instead, Valdez hit his head on the truck, sliding 280 feet before he stopped.
Valdez died on the road from a series of major injuries including a broken neck. At that moment, Martin’s life changed forever.
“My heart was broken,â€￾ Martin said. “I was very broken. My first thought the day after Max passed away was I thought about God. I told God, ‘I now know how you felt when you let your son die. I know how your heart was broken.’ I locked myself in my house for 11 months.â€￾
Martin has raised three boys and all of them are very special to her. But Max was her best friend. Even as an adult, he would sit with his mom and tell secrets, sharing the biggest details in life.
When he died, he was on the verge of making a big leap in his life. As an oil-field worker, Valdez had distinguished himself to the point the company wanted to invest in his future.
“He was to leave the next week, making $90,000 a year and going to college,â€￾ Martin said. “The only thing he was waiting for was to find a way to tell me. He told me on Thursday and died on Friday.â€￾
That Friday marked a dramatic change in Martin’s life. She not only lost her son and her best friend, but she began a mission to find out everything she could about crotch rockets.
“He was a beautiful kid,â€￾ Martin said. “He was the ultimate small-town kid. He knew everybody in every facet of life. Whether you had no money in your pocket or all the money in the world, he was your friend.â€￾
In his 20 years of life, Valdez made enough friends that close to 500 people attended his funeral. Those friends also raised $6,600 to buy a cemetery plot and pay for a headstone. To this day, the friends of Max Valdez are obvious because they have stickers on their cars in his memory.
After the initial shock wore off, Martin began looking into how her son died — specifically concentrating on the vehicle he was riding.
“It was more motorcycle than he had ever had,â€￾ Martin said. “When he gunned it, it was like a bullet. This was just a senseless death.â€￾
As Martin did her research, her sorrow began to turn into anger.
“When I started to look into all of the facts, I found myself shocked and bewildered,â€￾ Martin said. “Max did not have a motorcycle endorsement on his license. When I realized it was Texas law that you have to have one to ride a bike, I wondered why it had not been enforced the day he bought the bike. I called the dealership and asked them about it. The salesman informed me that although it was state law, it was not the responsibility of the dealership to check.â€￾
But that was just the beginning of what Martin found.
“I found that your life expectancy drops to five years from the day you buy the bike, in most cases to six months,â€￾ she said. “I also realized there are not speed governors put into these bikes, and they go off the lot able to reach speeds of 125 to 140 mph.â€￾
Martin said in a country that has laws limiting everything from smoking and drinking to buying guns, she was stunned to learn there were no laws regulating crotch rockets — especially when they are proven to be deadly.
“Some form of our government needs to start paying attention,â€￾ Martin said. “This needs to be governed. You could put a governor on a bike that would shut it down at a certain speed. We need to get our governments’ attention here, and we need to do something about this.â€￾
After 11 months of basically hiding in her house, Martin ventured back into the world this month. She got a job and decided it was time to tell her story. She said she hopes her story and her son’s death will help one other mother and one other son.
“I want parents to read this and say, ‘My gosh, I need to talk to my daughter because her boyfriend has one of those,’â€￾ Martin said. “I want them to talk to their sons. Max is gone, he doesn’t have to deal with the pain. He had one 30-second ride. The rest of us have to live with it.â€￾
Martin is also determined to get the government’s attention.
“I’m angry,â€￾ she said. “I’m angry at the government. I’m angry so many children buy these and die or ruin their lives for nothing. They’re targeting 16 to 30 year old kids, and there’s no guidance that goes along with it.
“It has to come from the top. They’re going to have to start with Yamaha and Suzuki and tell them, you can’t do this. You can’t build a bike that goes 150, you can’t make them go zero to 60 in four seconds.â€￾
Even as Martin fights to educate others on the danger of crotch rockets, she said she is unable to forget Max. She visits his grave frequently, spending hours talking to her son, telling him secrets like she did for so many years. Only now, she is alone.
“It’s really, really hard,â€￾ she said. “I miss him so bad. But if my son had to die, maybe someone else will listen.â€￾

Observations:

Probabaly no gear, even though he, "raced dirt."

Speeding on a residential street. Slid 280 feet???

Years of dirt riding may help in some situations, but the riding styles are very different.

Laying it down to "save your life" is the worst possible choice. Braking hard until impact will do the most good.

No license is required to purchase an automobile either but driving a car and wrecking is still the operator's fault.

The government does require licensing to operate a motor vehicle. Max chose not to abide by the rules.

Since when are we not responsible for our own actions??

Unless of course it was one of those Transformer bikes that turned on him and threw him into the semi. If that is the case then I retract my previous statement.

Well, it's too bad she doesn't publicly recognize her son's responsibility in the mix.

Shameful loss, but obviously not the bike's fault.

guess he should have bought an even faster bike.. would have beat the semi to the punch.. a few seconds of indiscretion and his mistake was his final one..

i'm sorry for her loss but like everyone else...uh....who's to blame here? The inanimate object that only does what it is told to do or the person not doing what they are supposed to? I guess when i had a lady pull out infront of me a couple of months ago i should be sueing Suzuki for making a bike that can go from 45 to 0 in 1 second and not throw me off as well as Ford for making a car that can't jump out of the way when the drive pulls out infront of someone.??? And come on it's not a "crotch rocket" that just irritates the crap out of me, it's a sportbike. If she did all her "research" then she would know that as well as her son should have been wearing gear!

P

sorry to hear about her son but thats life. If you cant handle the bike dont get on the damn thing. And 0 to 60 in four seconds:laugh: I havent been that slow in awhile.

Well after reading the article I have to say she makes a good point but to be mad at the government that is nonsense she needs to be mad at her son if she is going to be mad at some one. Good thing she does not know how fast the bikes of today accelerate. The point that I have to agree with her on is that I think it should be a Dealerships responsibility to check for a motorcycle endorsement and if some one does not have one they should not be allowed to drive their bike off the lot. It is crazy though they do not have to check for a MC Endorsement when I was working at a dealership it would amaze me how folks have no conscience when selling bikes I seen guys come in that want to buy a big CC bike but have no riding experience and the sales guys do not even try to talk to them about getting something with less HP they just sell they what ever get them a better commission. Now for her son she should have some anger towards him for riding like a squid if the kid came from the dirt he should have had at least a tiny clue has to how powerful bikes are I mean hell most dirt bikes have so much low end power it is not even funny and accelerate just as fast as some street bikes granted they do not do over 100 but dirt bike are pretty damn quick. Oh well enough on the soap box it is sad a young man had to loose his life RIP MAX

Loss of life is tragic, no matter the circumstances.

She is grabbing at whatever she can to help her cope with the loss of her son.

I made a post that was similar, just lost it to the intranets.

Anyways. She is grasping. Had he hit a kid that day it would have been a different tune. Or a family in a van. His lack of good judgement cost him everything that time. Bad draw, or stupidity, call it what you want. Sad circumstances. But if one of my neighbors who ride went through the area at those kinds of speeds I would be paying a visit. Probably reminding them with a stick that there are kids around.

R.I.P. Max

The question begs, had he started out on say an SV650, he maybe would have had a bit more time to react and correct the "stupid mistake" he made by romping it where he did?

A lesson to carry over to a larger faster bike? I will never accept that a SS/ST bike is a beginner bike for the street.. Yea many do it but many die trying..

If she was such a good parent, she would have educated herself about street bikes before the incedent. Might even have passed some of it on to her boy, possibly saving his life. Good parenting mom.

If she was such a good parent, she would have educated herself about street bikes before the incedent. Might even have passed some of it on to her boy, possibly saving his life. Good parenting mom.
Are you saying parents are responsible for thier childrens upbringing? Who the heck do you think you are?! :laugh:

Based on the lady's obvious ignorance demonstrated by the article, I have to assume that she didn't educate her son well enough to prepare him for this tragedy. The sad part is that the small town paper thought it acceptable to print the story that makes the lady look so naive.

Any loss of life is tragic; we all know what risks we take by just riding ANY motorcycle...there's a point when you have to realize some accidents ARE the fault of the rider, lack of experience, too much testosterone, showing off, no gear, speeding, not paying attention, the list goes on and on...

Been a while since I mentioned Mike's cousin, David...he was killed on his CBR, drinking, fleeing from police to avoid yet another DUI...his family immediately blamed the bike, went so far as to tell me I didn't care about David because I was still riding...yeah, tough to have family blame you in a way because you ride a crotch rocket, but I know who was to blame that night for the crash that took someone we all loved, as hard as that is to accept...I didn't love the guy?! We named our youngest son after him; we loved him dearly. I wished he'd been smarter that night and not done everything wrong, so yeah, there's a time when even family has to acknowledge that it's not always the bike that kills you...sometimes it is the person operating the bike...

Sorry for her loss, but she is "grabbing" her way to some kind of "crotch rocket" legislation. Grass roots lobbying like this tends to get attention. All it needs is a few hollywood celebs, a senator or two and the child of a "Presidential Body Guard" to get maimed or killed on a sportbike and Pooff! restricted top speed of 55 on our 'Busa's.:banghead:

sorry about her son, but just another example of---it's not my fault, it's someone else's.
she wants the GOV to regulate motorcycles, when it is up to the rider to regulate the THROTTLE, and the PARENTS to regulate their kids to follow the LAW. :rulez:
he was 20 years old, mom's best friend. she knew he was getting a bike, didn't have a license, probably no inurance, speeding, so who is at fault here??? A--the bike manufacture or B--you and your son. B is the right answer. Everyone is responsible for their own actions or inactions.
Surprized that she has not tried to sue someone yet

Back