REAR ABS NOT WORKING AND WILL STALL THE ENGINE ON BRAKING.

Denzilmedland

Registered
Morning all,

i have a 14 plate Gen 2 with ABS, i really need your help on a problem, upon heavy braking with the rear brake it will lock the back wheel and actually stall the engine, the ABS light then stays on until i turn off the ignition, then all will be restored.. When i start the bike and pull off the ABS light goes out as normal, it just locks the back wheel up and makes no attempt to work, there is no pulsing from the brake or anything. I have noticed that the ABS ring is rusty but the sensor wire all looks good and if there was a fault with the wire then the light would be on all of the time.
I am beside myself with knowing what to do, has anyone had any experience of this on their bike ?

I thought i would change the ABS ring for a new one for starters then the cable etc.
thanks.

I would first of all clean the ABS ring and sensor. Also follow the ABS cable back to the connector and clean that to.
Also if you have an ABBA Stand, I would put the bike on the stand, put it in 2nd gear and try the rear brake to see if it does it on the stand. Don't do it hard so the wheel locks up. see if you can feel the ABS kicking in with you hand pushing the rear brake peddle. How is the front ABS ? any problems with it. Also check the plug on the ABS unit and make sure its clean also.

I wonder if the lockup is caused by a problem with the rear master cylinder, such as a blocked return port. Is that fluid original? Was there any damage to this area of the bike? What is the bike history and service records?

Do you have a service manual? Perhaps the brake section of the 2013+ service manuals will help to isolate ABS from other brake issues.

Thank you all for your messages, i have had the bike for around 2 months, has done 22k miles, very little service history as the PO did it himself. there is no damage to the bike and the ABS light goes out as it should. I am unsure if the front ABS is working, dare not find out in case of a lock up.
I do have a service manual and was reading it last night, there is a lot of good info on the ABS, the ABS system stores fault codes and when plugged a inexpensive reader into the port on the unit it will give you around 12 codes that show a sensor wire, magnet, ABS ring etc, quite impressive.
I will see if my local bike mechanic has one, i am reluctant to chuck a load of money on parts if there is an issue with one particular thing. It mention the ABS ring needs to be in good condition so i will start there firstly, take the wheel off and polish the ring and check the ABS cable, then do as one of you has said try it in second gear to see if i can get it to work.

Thanks all.

Hi All, i have purchased a code reader off of ebay, every fault the ABS controller goes through remains in the controller so lets see what the codes say when the controller that i have bought arrives. i will keep you posted and thank you.

Back