ABS brake failure

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
Is ABS really an improvement in riding safety??? Just read this :

My 2004 BMW R1150RT is in the shop. I was riding on Denny St in Seattle Thursday afternoon when I suddenly lost all power assist to my brakes. After narrowly avoiding pancaking into the delivery van in front of me, my heart was pounding about 200 bpm. The brakes came back but failed 4-5 more times while I nursed it back to the office. It's in the shop now. They say it's a failed ABS brake modulator. That's just not something you ever want to happen to you. You have no idea how conditioned your response is to vehicle brakes until you push the brake pedal/pull the brake lever and nothing happens. It's terrifying on an existential level....

If a piece of electronic equipment can cause you to loose your brakes completely the design is extremely flawed an you can keep it :rulez: an as for gov.. forcing it into an all bikes in the future they need to improve it:poke:

Strange if your abs system goes out in a car you will simply lock up wheels you would not lose all braking ability would you ?

I imagine it has to do with how the systems is designed. My ABS on my old truck gave me fits(it would engage randomly for no apparent reason) so I just pulled the fuse on it. Worked like normal brakes after that.

Source? Link?

Need more info, to much online stuff out there now that just isn't true... :(

When ABS fails, the system defaults to a non-abs system. This maybe more internet BS.

it maybe have just been mal-functioning. i had an instant in a car when the abs acted up like it was engaging and you could feel it kicking the pedal back thus loosing breaking ablities.

Exactly why I NEVER want ABS on my bikes. Years ago when BMW first came out with the ABS system, if the engine was not running, they system wouldn't work. Really great when you pull up to a parking place and it slopes DOWNHILL and you turn the engine OFF :laugh: .

Anyway, what's so wrong with LEARNING how to ride and control your bike without all these Techno Electronic Devices to override you ! JUST RIDE THE BIKE and learn HOW TO. Or, MAYBE, just MAYBE that person is NOT ready for that level of bike in the first place ???

I would guess that an enherent part of any ABS would be a valve which (in case of a bike) would allow the brake fluid back into master cylinder reservoir (or a devoted ABS reservoir) even when the lever is squeezed. If this valve gets stuck open, then whatever fluid you try to pump in, goes right back out through this valve - hence no fluid pressure in the braking system when you squeeze the lever.

No brakes - Ouch!

Another fine point about ABS systems. It may provide shorter stopping distance for a rider who slams on the brakes, but not that much shorter for a rider who is doing the braking right. Considering also the trust factor, I would be hesitant to have ABS on my bike.

Last edited:
Do the guys with all the money, and know how (Pro racers) have them ? If they don't & they were that good wouldn't they ??

You will NOT loose your brakes if the ABS modulator fails. If the rider on Denny St. was riding so aggressively that he needed ABS in downtown Seattle traffic, then he is a complete TOOL and MORON!!!!!!!!

Now that that's said and done, anyone who has not had the pleasure of riding an ABS motorcycle would not even know it's there unless you needed it. It's a beautiful thing when your bike helps you maximize the grip of your tires.

I would like to see the LINK or info related to this thread. My father has ridden BMW motorcycles for many years with ABS and NEVER had a single problem.

just had the same problem on my 2019 my abs rear breaks failed would not stop the bike the pedal was hard full pressure however no stopping power with rear breaks , however my front breaks work fine, my rear pads are great , I don't use my rear breaks that often , I always rely on my front breaks unless riding real hard and need both or the wife is with me extra weight !! , thought the pads where glazed so i surfaced them , didn't help. the piston in the caliper is moving, not seized went to the shop they started working and on the way. going home the rear breaks failed twice

Back