December 7 , 1941..........

That's a combat star on that badge - means he made a jump under fire.

.....It won't be long now before there is no one left that lived through that era :(
Very true. In my line of work I have had the privilge to meet several WWII vets. Every year there are fewer and fewer.

My father and uncle served in what was then the Army Air Corp. My dad was a pilot my uncle a tail gunner on a bomber. My dad came home, his brother didn't. My uncle was MIA for a little over a year. We still have the letters that were being written back and forth between my grandparents and the familys of the crew members trying to glean any information they could about what had happen to their loved ones. Those letters can't be read with dry eyes. Keep in mind letters were about the only communication there was back then. Unless you lived in the city you probably did not have a phone and of corse no email.

I can't imagine the torment of not knowing about a son, brother, father etc and then to find at the end they where lost. The avenue of the free is paved with the blood of the soldier. There is good reason they are called The Greatest Generation.

My dad never talked about the war much. If you asked him a direct question about it he would answer you but would never linger on the subject. It wasn't untill years after his death the movie "Saving Private Ryan" came out. I would try to work into the conversations with WWII vets a question when I could. That question was have you seen the movie and what did you think of it? Was that really how it was? I must have asked between 35-50 vets and all but one said the same thing. "It's as close as they could have got it". Only one said no it was nothing like that. Many said they had to get up and leave the theater it was just too real to them.

So I watched the show through different eyes then some realizing just why my dad did not dwell on the subject. As you can tell the subject is dear to my heart and a Dec 7th does not go unnoticed.

I thank God for the men and women of that era that answered the call. And to think there are young people today who do not know who Adolph Hitler was, and adults who claim that the holocaust never happened.:unhappy:

I meet WWII vets every day and almost every minute I'm at work.
Selling Lincoln's in retirement heaven of south Florida that's basically all there is here.
In one way or another everyone 90 and above was involved in it. Most all the ole timers that come in here have their hats on showing what ship or what division they were with.

Back in the day when we had more than 2 armored divisions. ??? If you could see what they did. I saw what the rangers had to do at Pointe du Hoc. It's ... not an acceptable operation today.

:bump:

By this time here on the east coast the Japanese planes were leaving their carriers on the way to bomb Pearl Harbor. The great cataclysm was upon the world. The start of the great crusade was about to begin.

If you pass by or meet a senior citizen today, man or woman the chances are they were involved in liberating the world from tyranny. Please stop shake their hand and give thanks to greatest generation this country has ever known for they gave the world FREEDOM and saved millions from certain death.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Thanks for all that served.

My uncle was a rear gunner in WWII he was MIA, they never found him.

Puts the true price of freedom in perspective...most of the population doesn't get it anymore. Wonder if we'd just give up now...

thank you to the true heroes...my great-grandfather served in WWI and my grandfather in WWII, they paid the price for the freedoms i have today :bowdown:

Back