curious what others use to carry gear on trips

cq90stang

Registered
I have a 2005 Hayabusa. I'm just curious what others are using when they take their motorcycles on 2-3 day rides up to 5+ days of riding. I took my GS500 on a 3 day trip to NC and had a small piece of luggage that fit the bill perfect for that bike, but the netting that was used to secure it put tiny scratches over the rear tail section.

I've been kicking around tank bags, but I hear that the magnets can cause issues with metallic paint (which my bike has), or it can put scuff marks from dirt getting between the pad and tank. Also how much more of a pain in the butt does it make getting fuel into the tank you would have to get the tank bag off to fill it. I'm just curious what other's experiences have been with tank bags.

I know they make tail bags that strap around the passenger pillion (does no good for 2 up riding), have any of you used these. If so what did you like not like about the setup?

I don't really want saddlebags...I just think they would look a little funny on a busa. However I'm open to hearing about these too.

I know you can get back packs that are motorcycle specific backpacks. Do any of you have experience with these? Do they make you sweat alot more while wearing them, do they restrict air flow? What is you're thoughts on these.

I have seen some hayabusa that have a full out custom hard box setup. If I remember right they can get a little expensive. I think the mounts also have to stay attached to the bike even with the hard bags off. If you have any experience with these kind I'd like to hear it also.

Basically I want something that won't obstruct the view on the gauges and can carry about 3-5 days worth of clothing and a rain suit, and maybe just a little other odds and ends. In the next year and a half to two years a friend and I are thinking about going cross country on a motorcycle Journey. We both live in FL and were thinking about riding across to california and we wanted to know what our options and pros and cons for the different bag setups would be. So if you have any experience with motorcycle luggage I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Craig

Get a good set of saddle bags. Also you can use painter's tape to protect the bike from scratches.
Posted via Mobile Device

i rely on my tankbag or trusty ole backpack, never really been on a nice long road trip on the busa though, if i toured a lot on it i would probably look into the givi hardcase bags, or something similar. I was also concerned about the magnetic bags scratching the tank, check out the sw motech bags and cortech dryver, they both use a locking ring on the gascap and don't touch the paint. I have 2 swmotech bags, and just picked up the cortech dryver, which came out recently
Cortech :: Accessories :: Cortech Bags :: Dryver Tank Bag
i love it so far, only complaint is i wish it was just a tad bigger, but it works perfectly. Maybe cortech will come out with a larger bag in the near future

should give you some ideas:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/trips-touring/138928-need-pictures-touring-busas.html

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...47840-what-do-you-gen-ii-guys-do-luggage.html

For multi-day trips, I go with tank/tail/saddle bags (I have a set by Nelson-Riggs), similar to what's on this Honda

29123_SSCCollection.jpg

Hard bags with the SW Motech mount from twisted throttle is a good way to go. They are expensive, but you can disconnect them in seconds and take them into the hotel like a suitcase. Also, the rack/mounting system does come off the bike for the most part when the bags are not being used.

Ventura system (i think Pashnit is carrying these now)...here are a couple pics

#1 rack attachments under the seat and at Frankenstein bolts
#2 with rear seat on
#3 with single bag facing forward (can be turned around to the rear if you are carrying a passenger)
#4 double bags when touring

you can get waterproof covers for the single and double bag set-ups :beerchug:

IMG_1735 (Large).jpg

IMG_1737 (Large).jpg

IMG_1738 (Large).jpg

IMG_5373 (Large).jpg

Firstgear Laguna saddle bags, and a Joe Rocket tank bag. Be careful not to let the magnets on the tank bag snap down, and it won't hurt the paint. Use some blue masking tape where the saddlebags might chafe, and you're good to go.

Backpacks for days on end are not a good idea if you want anything bigger than a camelpack.

DSCN1449.jpg

DSCN1443.jpg

DSCN1439.jpg

DSCN1434.jpg

I have Cortech saddle bags used them only once but if I go on a road trip again I'll put them back on.

I'm on a 2-week trip w/my sweetie as we speak :)
I mounted a SW-Motech rack system & some Givi E360 hard cases. I could not really be happier with this setup!!! Stuff them full in the house/hotel, click 'em on, haul ass! Easy! And the weight is low & manageable. Stable in the wind, good for 130mph (at least!)
I spent about $700 total, but I don't regret a bit of it!
If you're serious about traveling, you can't do any better!

I use a Nelson Riggs Nelson Strap Mount Tank Bag CL450 and Corbin Beetle bags. The strap bags works good and you don't have to worry about magnets scratching the tank. Works great at gas stop too. Just unbuckle the one buckle and swing it out of the way. The Corbin bags are good since they are lockable and waterproof. I keep my rainsuit in the hump. I also did the Gen I trunk mod for extra room.

Like some of the guys here I have used the SW Motech stuff...I have two hard sided givi bags and a top case Givi...Can dismount them in seconds...and can take all of the mounting hardware off in about 10 minutes when you aren't touring...

Hayabusa bagger install 07-09 008.jpg

Hayabusa bagger install 07-09 007.jpg

Ventura system (i think Pashnit is carrying these now)...here are a couple pics

#1 rack attachments under the seat and at Frankenstein bolts
#2 with rear seat on
#3 with single bag facing forward (can be turned around to the rear if you are carrying a passenger)
#4 double bags when touring

you can get waterproof covers for the single and double bag set-ups :beerchug:

I use the Ventura system too.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...6055-luggage-rack-200-busa-2.html#post2607147

2Hip,

Where did you get the Givi top bag with the back rest attached, or is that a little custom job?

The backrest can be ordered for any Givi top bag. I buy my Givi stuff from twistedthrottle.com. You can see all the add-ons on the URL below.

TwistedThrottle.com : Givi E55 Maxia 3 Monokey Topcase, basic model (ea) - 55 liters/case - Givi E55

I just ordered my Givi topcase, backrest pad, and adapter plate for my SW-Motech rack. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

I order all my stuff from Justin at HondaEastToledo (supporting vendor). He gives great deals on stuff and is great to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered my Givi topcase, backrest pad, and adapter plate for my SW-Motech rack. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

I order all my stuff from Justin at HondaEastToledo (supporting vendor). He gives great deals on stuff and is great to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics when you get it please! Already have the rack, contemplating the top case...

Posted with my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk.

Back