Crazy Random MSF question

I've gotta ask: why does making a u-turn inside a painted box at a snail's pace without putting your foot down make you a better/safer rider? I have helibars and Genmar riser, and together, they reduce my turning radius to a certain degree, because of interference with fairing/windscreen. As a result, I used my Honda VTX for my MSF, but am still puzzled: what the heck difference does it make whether you put your foot down or not?
CW ???

its a control skills thing....... the exercise is weighted very low vs high importance things like braking,swerving or cornering on the final eval.

it just happens to be the hardest thing for most students to overcome mentally.

I've gotta ask: why does making a u-turn inside a painted box at a snail's pace without putting your foot down make you a better/safer rider? what the heck difference does it make whether you put your foot down or not?
CW ???

My opinion and it may not reflect MSFs rational for the exercise.

It teaches you techniques to operate the motorcycle at slower speeds and in limited spaces. Done correctly you have a lot of head turn, eye control, clutch and throttle manipulation, use of peripheral vision, and the need to look through the path of travel. Most of these same skills are needed for other exercises. It also shows (if latter exercise are successful) that the students have learned the how the bike turns different at low speeds vs higher speeds (above 15mph) and that rider input required is very different. (handlebar turns vs counter or push steering) The width of the box falls in line with a normal street width of 25’. Low speed techniques are necessary for survival. If you don’t think so, ride through a Walmart parking lot next Saturday about noon. :please: :)

Fear not though, the scoring reflects its importance to the curriculum and there are not as many points to be lost on the exercise. ;) If you are riding a bike larger than 599cc you are tested on the larger box. It is not that difficult to do it on the larger (24’ width) box with some practice. The 20’ box on a Busa will take a bit more work however to master. The typical range loaner bikes used in a BRC will make the turn well within a 12’ street lane!

its a control skills thing....... the exercise is weighted very low vs high importance things like braking,swerving or cornering on the final eval.

Very true. You can only get assessed a max of 8 points on the U-Turn box.

No doubt!

i think our box was only like 12' it was small but we all had to use the rebels and what ever other small bikes they had

I used to teach the CMSP version here in Cali... At the time, mid '90's, I had an ST1100. This was a military course and we taught on our own bikes. Students rode there own as well. (hehehe) The offset weave made peeps nervous. Sport bikes did the worse followed by the Hardlys. The best bikes for it are the GP bikes and the dual sport / Motard styles. I did the Experienced course on the ST and had a blast. Especially the on the stepped weave... Been over ten years, sad to say.

Not sure what I'd do on my pumpkin... :beerchug:

i think our box was only like 12' it was small but we all had to use the rebels and what ever other small bikes they had

:) If it was the MSF class, I can assure you it was a 20’x60’ box at the end. The would have started by giving you and extra 4’ on the width and moved to the 20’.

I know it felt like 12' the first time I saw it too!

I've gotta ask: why does making a u-turn inside a painted box at a snail's pace without putting your foot down make you a better/safer rider? I have helibars and Genmar riser, and together, they reduce my turning radius to a certain degree, because of interference with fairing/windscreen. As a result, I used my Honda VTX for my MSF, but am still puzzled: what the heck difference does it make whether you put your foot down or not?
CW ???
The box and all the other low speed maneuvers practices overall control and precision. It will make you better in all aspects because of having better control, smoother more precise inputs and a better feel for your bike.

It can be done, I can do it in four parking spaces pretty easily. It's tight, but doable.

I have no problem flopping the Busa over in turns or doing tight figure-8s. I got rid of my chicken strips in the first week after I scruffed-up the tires a bit.

Sometimes when I get bored I'll head up the street to the Germantown Soccer Complex and go out into one of those large back parking lots and practice tight maneuvers and fast stops to keep on my A-game. It's the one place that I can do it safely and not be around other cars or risk hitting anything.

I have noticed that the Busa is pretty easy to corner with so long as you keep consistent throttle control, avoid target fixation, and lean off correctly (and I don't mean knee dragging). But ya do need to get that butt off the seat and shift your center of gravity a bit. It isn't as nimble as my 848, but it's much easier that I expected it to be.

My bike is raised an inch, I can do it pretty well with mild counter-weighting.

in most cases, the busa handles much better than the riders sitting on them(or pretending to have sat on them).

Last edited:
It can be done. You are required to do it in a 24'x70' box on a large bike. The box is 20'x60' for the BRC on the smaller bikes. I can do it on mine in the 20'x60' with my wheelbase at 60.5" (2 over stock) It is not easy but can be done!

Kenny may be talking about me. I teach the course but have been active the last year. I demo it on my bike while teaching the BRC.

I thought that it was you, just wasn't sure !! Didn't you say you use to show them if you can do it on your Busa......they can on their bike.

Thanks for all the responses :thumbsup: I was just curious. I've passed 2 BRC's on the loaner bikes (one Rebel and one Buell Blast), but was just wondering about the Busa, now that it's here to ride. There's an old MSF range hidden down a valley near my house, might go play around and see how I do...I already practice the emergency stops just to keep on top of things!

Back