MSF Course

PDBusa

who, me?
Donating Member
Registered
As some know I had been out of the m/c scene for a... while. My plan was to take the MSF BRC course to see if I really wanted back in, then find my Busa, then enjoy it every day.  Signed up for the course in April and earliest available date was last weekend. Was waiting nicely for my Busa plan to materialize until I found a deal on an '05 I couldn't let get away and had to customize my plan to buy it. Well, a few hundred miles in the saddle before the course won't hurt!

So, on to the MSF course.
It is a three day course designed for beginner riders so it was a bit elementary at times, but I went with an open mind and ready to learn. The Ridercoaches were A++ and when they had a little background on my riding experience they told me they were going to expect a bit more from my skills. When they found out I own a Busa, they told me they were going to be extremely critical. Great, add a little pucker factor.
sad.gif

So day one on the range we were acquainted with our "rides". I had a massive  
muscle.gif
Suzuki GN250 to work with. Foot pegs? Being 6'3" I needed knee pegs. I couldn't turn full lock so the handlebars were pushed as far forward as possible. It took a little bit getting used to where the pegs were because it is a cruiser style bike. It was all good and in short time I was cruising the course in as much style as anybody my size on a small bike can.  
cool.gif

The "at speed" skills like stopping, cornering, weaving, swerving, panic stopping were easy. The RC's were making me try all sorts of different right and wrong stuff just to keep me guessing. They made me go into 135* turns too low/tight and too fast, then straighten and brake, emergency stop in the middle of a weaving exercise,  Etc.. Skills that on a performance bike really need to be second nature.
I will admit the "slow speed" skills were biting me.  
wow.gif

blush.gif
Just couldn't get my big butt to balance on that machine and do tight figure 8's... at first. They had me doing all different stuff. Sit on tank, sit almost on pass. seat, lift inside foot off peg (unless it was a right), etc.. By having me doing all the wrong stuff made it easier for me to do it right. At the end of the course we did the skills evaluation and I did well. I actually ended up with a perfect score... on the GN250.
smile.gif

Got home and had to climb onto the Busa and show her what I had learned, and why the money for mods went towards keeping upright. I couldn't believe her footpegs were way back there all of a sudden. Holy crap, I need to get re-aquainted with my sweetheart. After a nice ride to let her know she is the only one for me, we started working on slow speed skills... well trying anyway. She's just a little heavier then her distant cousin the GN250. I can say though, after a few figure 8's it was easier to manipulate the busa at slow speeds than I ever expected. She really can be kinda nimble. The RC's were locked on, you look at the ground, you will go to the ground. Look to the exit of the turn, use throttle/clutch/rear brake, and trust your bike, you will go there. It works. I actually linked a few tight figure 8's together, and was having fun. My dance partner kept saying "c'mon, the other gears need exercise too!!!!  
idea3.gif
race.gif

All in all, I would ABSOLUTELY recommend anyone who hasn't been riding in a while, or is new to it, take the course. I am looking forward to the advanced course next year. Maybe a few board members here will join me in the fun?
Sorry so long of a post, waiting for fog to lift and roads to dry so I can get some miles before work.

Hey look at that, I'm a ROOKIE now!!! Even better, I'm a Hayabusa.org race bike sponsoring Rookie! So let's get er done folks so Cache can start collecting us trophies! (no pressure)  
super.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Ride safe!

Congrats on the course. Now you need to get on the list to take the ERC next year, and use the Busa.

I loved the ERC! I took it with my 1800vtx and not with the busa. I plan to get my girl to take the BRC with her ninja500 and me on the busa for morale support. Congrats on mastering it!

I am one of the Marine / MSF ( part time ) instructors here on MCBCP. All personal stationed aboard are required to take the BRC before the can ride on or off base. Our students use thier own bikes for the course, no school bikes. Glad to hear that you got so much out of it PD. Defenitly do the ERC next you will not be dissapointed.

Absolutely looking forward to the ERC next year. Hoping to get a few other Busa owners in area interested in joining me. It's good stuff.

Back