Who attended an MSF course?

ridercoach

Post ***** King & Local Safety Guru
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious. Out of all the Busa riders on this post, who took the MSF Rider Course? Did the course help you? And would you recommend it to new riders? Just looking for insight from my busa family.

I took it...I would highly recommend it to every rider...it's tailored toward new riders, and many of those in my class were new, but there were experienced riders in there too and they all admitted to learning some better skills than they walked in with...

Take it if you can...you'll know how to maneuver your motorcycle, the controls, etc like the back of your hand because you spend two days pushing it around a parking lot! It was fun, it was informative, it was well worth the cost and time...especially for a new rider...

Bonus is that your insurance company will give you a discount if you take and successfully pass the course...I believe that discount is good for 2 or 3 years...

After checking out your web site, I see that all I just told you is well known by you, seeing that you're a MSF instructor!!!  I was thinking I was telling a new rider all the good points!  You're sneaky!
tounge.gif

race.gif

I couldnt of said it better to new riders and people on the fence about taking the course..

i rode my harley to the class, i had my permit and i took the msf cource so i didnt have to take the state riding test, and i think it shoudl be mandatory for all new riders, it's great. i had such a good expirence there i was thinking about going to see about being an instructor

I have been ride for 20 years and the Army made me tke the basic and advance cource, it was free for me
tounge.gif

I took it back in 1987, and again in 1999. I took it the second time to avoid the State riding test, but still learned from it. Always a good course.

Planning on taking the advanced rider course (H-D Rider's Edge program).

The only complaint I had with the course was when we did our final test, I lost a point because my time was slow through the accellerating curve/braking test. The day before, I had the fastest time, but on the day of the test it was RAINING. I went slower, but still faster than most, and I got penalized for trying to ride safely on an unfamiliar bike, in less than favorable conditions.

The instructor said that they go by a time/point chart, but there is not a separate chart for when it rains. To me, that's just wrong.

Do you ride the same in the rain as you would on a sunny day, or are you more cautious?

OH...almost forgot...

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>WELCOME TO THE BOARD ! ! !</span></span>

beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076696659 -->

MSF beginners course twice (I keep taking new riders with me so they will go), ERC once. I found the course helpful, I had done a lot of riding and reading before I took the beginners course for the first time so it was just a refresher for the most part but still worthwhile, and fun to boot. I might actually be going back to the beginners course again here in a month or two to take my wife. See what she thinks of it.

The only problem I ever had was the four fingers covering the brake and clutch... I still have heart burn with this especially on a sportbike with modern brakes. A four fingered panic pull on the Busa's brake is a really bad idea, on a GSXR 1000 the four finger panic pull will certainly get you hurt. Otherwise I use stuff I was tought in the course on just about a daily basis.

Highly recommended, I go WAY out of my way to recommend the course especially if they have never been on a bike. MSF beginners provides a huge head start for the new rider.

With no prior interest, I took the MSF course just for fun and ended up LOVING motorcycling. I had no idea. The course was perfect since I had ZERO previous experience or knowledge of the functioning of a cycle, let alone the nature of turning, balance, and many other things I would have never thought of on my own. It also improved my car driving attentiveness quite a bit. I avoid accidents or accident prone situations on EVERY ride and believe the MSF course is the main reason. Ran out and bought a 650 cruiser, then a 1000 Ninja and finally the Busa. After 4 years of riding and about 60,000 miles, I'll admit that silly just for fun MSF course started my best addiction! It ought to be a freakin required by law like Driver's Ed for cars. Now, I plan on taking an advanced riders course on the race track. Thanks, instructors for flipping me crap when I wasn't doing my best because it's probably saved my life numourous times.

My wife and son have taken the course, about 18 months ago, they really enjoyed it, I could not take at that time dues to time issues.
I have since gotten a friend into wanting to ride. He has taken the written test and past. He wanted me to teach him to ride, I told hime NO WAY, but that I would take the MSF course with him. I think we are scheduled for a course in march 04, looking forward to it.

I think it should be manditory for all new riders, should not be able to get their license without it.

Ride safe.

Do you ride the same in the rain as you would on a sunny day, or are you more cautious?
Thanks for the welcome. As far as riding in the rain, we do but if its lighting outside we will not ride. We do caution our riders when the ground is wet and slippery to take it easy. We try our hardest not to do the evaluation while conditions are not ideal. Between you, me, and the post, if we have to evaluate in the rain, we do take that into consideration "Wink Wink" Technically it is done by the time/point sheet. I know sometimes it isn't fair, but years ago MSF was set up like a military by the book course. Just over a year ago it was completely revamped for a nicer approach to teaching. If you did the Two tight u turns in the form of a figure 8, you took the new course.

I took it back in 1987, and again in 1999.  I took it the second time to avoid the State riding test, but still learned from it.  Always a good course.

Planning on taking the advanced rider course (H-D Rider's Edge program).

The only complaint I had with the course was when we did our final test, I lost a point because my time was slow through the accellerating curve/braking test.  The day before, I had the fastest time, but on the day of the test it was RAINING.  I went slower, but still faster than most, and I got penalized for trying to ride safely on an unfamiliar bike, in less than favorable conditions.

The instructor said that they go by a time/point chart, but there is not a separate chart for when it rains.  To me, that's just wrong.

Hey stkr00...my husband took the course with me even though he was an experienced rider...he blew the entire class away with his skills, keeping in the box with the figure 8 and doing it like it wasn't a big deal while we all struggled to stay up-right...

Well, the day of the testing, he pulled into the box, started his figure 8 and the bike stalled. It had run out of gas...he lost points for having to put his foot down to save the stalled bike (anyone who's stalled one knows what it feels like)...he was ticked about losing the points because everyone knew he'd done it so many times better than every other person there...those were the only points he lost, so he passed with a great score; still bothered him though, but I think in order for the class to be fair to everyone, the points have to be handled fairly for anyone, even if conditions like the weather or your bike running out of gas get in the way...

I'm sure it was frustrating though...

The only problem I ever had was the four fingers covering the brake and clutch...  I still have heart burn with this especially on a sportbike with modern brakes.  A four fingered panic pull on the Busa's brake is a really bad idea, on a GSXR 1000 the four finger panic pull will certainly get you hurt.  Otherwise I use stuff I was tought in the course on just about a daily basis.
If someone told you to cover both your clutch and brake at the same time you got the wrong info. We say cover your clutch at all times, because that's a pretty good way to kill the power to your back wheel. But we never recommend to new riders to cover there brake at the range, we completely discourage it. Your first response when your spooked is to grab. So covering your break is a bad idea. Do we want you to use four fingers on both break and clutch when using, YES. When you squeeze your break with only two fingers you can only squeeze so much, but use all four, you have a lot more power and control. Give it a shot on your Busa. Try two and try four, see what works better. The only time we will recommend you cover your break is in a high risk area, like an intersection, mentally you know something may happen so you are prepared, but for normal riding, never cover the break. If you see that instructor who told you to cover the break during riding, kick him one hard kick in the ass for me, then tell him to read his Instructor/Coach manual.

Thanks for the insight into other instructors. Keep the shiny side up.
biggrin.gif

I've taken the MSF and the ERC.

In Cali, the MSF is no longer taught by the MSF, but by the CMSP as of Feb 1st. I hear the course has been dumbed down.

The only problem I ever had was the four fingers covering the brake and clutch...  I still have heart burn with this especially on a sportbike with modern brakes.  A four fingered panic pull on the Busa's brake is a really bad idea, on a GSXR 1000 the four finger panic pull will certainly get you hurt.  Otherwise I use stuff I was tought in the course on just about a daily basis.
If someone told you to cover both your clutch and brake at the same time you got the wrong info. We say cover your clutch at all times, because that's a pretty good way to kill the power to your back wheel. But we never recommend to new riders to cover there brake at the range, we completely discourage it. Your first response when your spooked is to grab. So covering your break is a bad idea. Do we want you to use four fingers on both break and clutch when using, YES. When you squeeze your break with only two fingers you can only squeeze so much, but use all four, you have a lot more power and control. Give it a shot on your Busa. Try two and try four, see what works better. The only time we will recommend you cover your break is in a high risk area, like an intersection, mentally you know something may happen so you are prepared, but for normal riding, never cover the break. If you see that instructor who told you to cover the break during riding, kick him one hard kick in the ass for me, then tell him to read his Instructor/Coach manual.

Thanks for the insight into other instructors. Keep the shiny side up.
biggrin.gif
I don't remember our instructors telling us to cover the brake...but, covering the clutch is still something I find myself doing most of the time...try riding for a long time like that! My point is that the skills I learned in just those few days do last...good stuff...
smile.gif

I've taken the MSF and the ERC.

In Cali, the MSF is no longer taught by the MSF, but by the CMSP as of Feb 1st.  I hear the course has been dumbed down.
The course has been "dumbed down" to the BRC which is the Basic Riders Course. It is still mandated by the MSF. The same course is tought in every state. "I hope" Since California is the headquarters for MSF.

I've taken the Basic course twice. I haven't taken the advanced class yet, but I plan to. I've even considered taking the instructor course and helping out with the classes locally. The only hurdle there is time. I tend to be very busy in the Fall and Spring.

hell yeah it was the best $50 i spent on my busa although being in the military it's pretty much mandatory so you can keep the big brass out of your a$$ if you wreck but i was going to take it anyway they taught me everything and supplied the bike and i got my class M licence 2 weeks later didn't do much for the insurance though

Back