Which bike for safety course?

We are lucky here in Southern IL, the class at SIU is free. I took it on an 1800 Gold Wing. It was very good even though I have ridden for quite a few years.

Nothing wrong with the BRC. I have had students with 20+ years of riding tell me they learned something. I am not sure what the ERC costs but if you are a contractor or work on base you may be able to get into one of their courses.

Thanks, Silver (and CWCobra). Nothing against the Beginners Course, but they are booked up for 6 months in advance around here. I think DC, or maybe Virginia, requires it for a new license. I moved here with a license so don't need that, but the military bases do require the MSF card. Plan to ride my bike to work and sometimes I get called onto a facility on short notice. I'll see if Belvoir has something I can take there. Thanks again. - AJ

Military and DOD - Please see DODI 6055.4 page 11 paragraph E3.2.3.2. which states that training required by this Instruction shall be provided at no cost to military and DoD civilian personnel. Personnel shall not be charged leave to attend training required by this Instruction. Most installations run a MSF program at no cost per the above ref., check https://airs.lmi.org to see what courses are being offered at garrisons in your local area, and register for courses electronically. [If you receive and error click on "Continue to this website (not recommended)" - there is a temporary problem with security certificates]

Pricing in the Greater Tampa Bay area:
Experienced Riders' Course (ERC) $70 - $150 (military discount $60)
Beginner Riders' Course (BRC) $160 - $300 (military discount $150 - $250)

These price ranges come from 9 different schools, everyplace from local high schools to Harley dealerships. As you can see costs vary greatly if you have to go out of pocket for it, dealers being the most costly. But, it's a value at any price if it saves your skin!

Due to last year's change in FL law (mandating the MSF training) most local installations are overwhelmed and are referring Reservist and DOD personnel off post. Our brigade commander has authorized subordinate units to give Soldiers a paid half day off with proof of course completion.

Even if you have rode for "years" but you haven't taken a course, start with the beginner course, you might be surprised what you learn. Plus, it makes you practice those basic skills you may not use on a daily basis.

Also take note that contractors are NOT DOD personnel. Been trying to get this changed for years. Actually been trying to get the whole thing rewritten to be clearer in it's wording.

Also take note that contractors are NOT DOD personnel. Been trying to get this changed for years. Actually been trying to get the whole thing rewritten to be clearer in it's wording.

We allow contractors to backfill our classes on base. They still have to take leave from work.

Back