Who attended an MSF course?

Yep I took it so I could get the insurance discount. It was kinda funny hopping off my old 750 and onto a 250 for the MSF class. I think about 50% of the people in my class were already riding when they took the course. It was a great course and it gives you tips and helpful info that I didn't know after years of riding. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
biggrin.gif

I took it and I would recommend it to others. It did help me as well. (I am in the military, so I have to, to ride on base)

i took it and what sucked about it was that i signed up for it when i was 20 and they were backed up for 3 weeks and i turned 21 a few days before my class started so instead of 75 bucks it was 200. anyway i recomend this class for anyone thinkin about doing the advanced when it gets a little warmer.

Okay...It sounds like the course has been changed for the better since my last one. At least the Instructors are using some common sense now.

VaBusa...those were the only points I lost during the whole test, and YES it was frustrating, but I'm over it now...I think
biggrin.gif

Overall, the course is excellent and it is what I recommend to all those interested in learning to ride.

... the Monster Speed Freak course....where is that bastid? anyone know ?

sorry to railroad yer post , but it did bring it to the top .

Which in turn will bring awareness , an' make us all alert.

I've always wanted to be a LERT....but thats not legal in most states , 'cept them southern ones...hee hee hee...

Like my name says....keep the Rubbah-Side-Down .

hav a good one RSD.

oooo.....o ya....the Q . no, no course ever . I feel riding can be taught , but for the most part , staying alive on these roads today is instinctual .

I'm a firm believer in the gravity law aswell . Thats how I have taught people to ride . GRAVITY .

"The ONLY thing this thing(motorcycle) , wants to do, is FALL OVER . It wasn't made very well . It defies the laws of gravity . As soon as you flick the kickstand up , all it wants to do is fall over . Your job: as a NEWBIE bike rider...dont let it. " That statement alone has stuck in the head of lots of people I've taught to ride . I love teaching people to ride . Especially girls ( I'm such a Slu..) .

"There are two kinds of Bikers , those who have crashed , an' those who are going too ".

Do your best too endeaver too never be a part of these groups .
Started riding on the street a year or two before I got a licence . Had one accident . What type? The number one killer of bikers.....the "illegal left-turner"....did my best too avoid....
it only hurt for a month or so....

be carefull out there boyz an' gurlz... BE A LERT .

How can I become an instructor
Each state is a little different as far as what qualifications you need to become an instructor. But we all have to take an Instructor (now called RiderCoach) Course, which is 9 days long. In Florida you have to find a school and inform them you want to become a Coach. Normally you have to volunteer some time at the range and classroom to observe and help out. At least three to four classes before they will set you up for a RiderCoach course. BTW, you have to take the BRC (Basic Rider Course) before they will send you to the RiderCoach course, if you didn't already take it. At one point a Chief instructor aka RiderCouch Trainer will come out to the range you are volunteering at and observe you riding some exercises. Then you just have to wait for the next RiderCoach course to open. At least that is how it works in the state of Florida. But most states are the same. You also need a pretty clean driving record (No tickets for reckless driving on a motorcycle, sort of frowned upon when you want to teach safety), and they also do a background check to make sure your not a terrorist out to use a bike as a Weapon of Mass Destruction. Besides all that its a hell of a lot of fun. We have been weeding out the old style instructors who taught with a military approach and bringing on the younger in Mind or body with a new coaching approach of adult centered learning. In short form, Coaches that love motorcycling and want to pass it

I took it and it was absolutely invaluable. Before I took the course I could barely ride straight, afterwards I was very comfortable on my first bike.

As you all of you know, when you have a Bua everyone wants to ride it. I try to be pretty generous and I say I only have 2 requirements

1-you must have a valid bike licemse
2-you must have completed the MSF course

I enjoyed the course so much I am concidring taking the advanced riders course soon.

I've taken the beginner course, having had a fair amount of motorcycle experience prior, with a friend who was a stark beginner. I highly recommend it to everyone that talks to me about getting a bike. If you think you're too cool for the beginner course and you have your own bike, take the intermediate or higher course. At the very least, it's a reality check in a controlled environment. And if you really feel they have nothing to teach you, you still get to feel superior to everyone else for a bit. But then you probably already do anyway.

It's not just about knowing how to ride, but knowing how to ride amongst cages...

<!--EDIT|LCW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076727264 -->

I've taken the beginner course, having had a fair amount of motorcycle experience prior, with a friend who was a stark beginner.  I highly recommend it to everyone that talks to me about getting a bike.  If you think you're too cool for the beginner course and you have your own bike, take the intermediate or higher course.  At the very least, it's a reality check in a controlled environment.  And if you really feel they have nothing to teach you, you still get to feel superior to everyone else for a bit.  But then you probably already do anyway.

It's not just about knowing how to ride, but knowing how to ride amongst cages...
Well said

I attended it last year and now the director wants me to become a rider coach. I think it's a good deal to take...you can always learn something or even refresh on the skills that are overlooked these days. I had my sister in law take it and she improved 100% over what she was before the course. I'm looking forward to becoming a coach and helping new riders out there. Plus in MT you don't have to take that cruddy "road" course at the DMV for your license. It's a good deal all around.

Wayne

I'd Been riding on the dirt for years, but took the MSF before hitting the street.  It was a great experience and I *always* recommend it to people.  Even if you know how to ride, learning street strategies is a great benefit.  New bikers really have no clue as to how many cell-phone using, sleepy, inattentive, and otherwise occupied-with-things-other-than-driving people are at the wheel of a vehicle.

Unfortunately one CHRONIC PROBLEM with the MSF course (at least the beginner course) it that it's always full.

<!--EDIT|Dangerously
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076864486 -->

Just curious. Out of all the Busa riders on this post, who took the MSF Rider Course? Did the course help you? And would you recommend it to new riders? Just looking for insight from my busa family.
Nice to make your acquaintance.

I bit off a lot with my first (owned) bike, a BMW K1200RS. To compensate, I took the MSF beginner's course and paid a trainer for two days on-road 1-on-1. Six months later, I took the ERC with the beemer. In '03, I took the ERC on the 'Busa.

I've also done a track day and ride a lot -- like every day -- even in foul weather, and I practice my stops, swerves, and u-turns as much as I can.

Considering what the MSF has to work with (funding- and liability-wise), I couldn't ask for more than the BRC and ERC when starting from scratch. I like the newer curriculums a good deal more than the old ones -- I took the BRC a dozen years ago and it was much different, and the '02 ERC was also the old class.

This having been said, it's a shame that riders starting out couldn't get more time in the saddle riding on the CRAPPY, OVERCROWDED, A.D.D.-AFFLICTED AND S.U.V.-PLAGUED, streets, particularly as with our eastern cities. Way nerve-wracking to the beginner, especially with the bigger bikes.

That's a tough one, also. The sheer heft of some of the new cruiser-style (especially) bikes is not to be believed, and more than a few BRC students hopped from the little 250cc lawnmowers to thumpy V-Twins. Sheesh. At least my Beemer could stop itself like a champ.

I think I'm over the first "just getting the hang of it" hump. I fight a continuous battle with my attention span to keep focusing on the world around me. The 'Busa is a good road bike, however, and hasn't let me down so far. I can validate that the principles taught in the BRC are sound and should be TATTOOED ON EVERY NEW RIDER'S FOREARMS.

Other than that, the small parking lots are really a tough place to learn countersteering and other aspects of good cornering. My trainer (Lawrence Grodsky) really helped introduce me to those finer points, but he really had to spend some time with me and we needed lots of blacktop. Gotta watch the world around you -- not in front of the tires -- and look through the damn turns, ALWAYS, etc.

Other than that, the small parking lots are really a tough place to learn countersteering and other aspects of good cornering. My trainer (Lawrence Grodsky) really helped introduce me to those finer points, but he really had to spend some time with me and we needed lots of blacktop. Gotta watch the world around you -- not in front of the tires -- and look through the damn turns, ALWAYS, etc.
The one bad thing is the size of the lot (range) we teach on. Some schools have more space than others. In my opinion some students are cheated on a smaller range. I am lucky enough to teach on a full size range where achieving third gear is possible. Either way you look at it though, the concepts are the same. I'm glad to hear on this post that everyone believes in what MSF and the RiderCoaches are doing. It makes me feel good knowing that we Coaches do make a difference. I guess our biggest reward is not reading about our students in the paper. God bless and keep the rubber side down.

I took the beginners and advanced... I thought they were pretty cool. Some things vary from riding like a maniac... Of course, they teach you to NOT do that... So, take it with a grain of salt.

BTW - I think it is a fantastic learning tool for beginners!

-Rip

Back