MSF Course

PaNDeM1C

Your Disease.....
Donating Member
Registered
Saturday was day #2 and we rode all day. Riding those little Nighthawks was sorta fun even though they have ZERO power. But during the lunch break when I hopped on the busa I almost forgot how to ride it! I also bet I'm sure I probably couldn't do some of those very tight and slow S turns on the busa.... nor would I ever need to. But the Nighthawks are so small -- almost like riding a bmx bike. So far the course is fun and everyone should do it. Tomorrow we do evaluations and the written test... then it's done and I'll get my insurance break and I think it means I won't have to take the riding/road test on the bike when I move to CA.

When I did the MSF course and went for my lic I did not have to take the riding test. The MSF gives you a card to take to DMV that will wave the riding test.
cool.gif

Pan,

It is possible to do all of the exercises in the course on your Busa. On the U-turn box you would be given extra space on the bigger bike, but it can be done in the same 20x60’ box they make you ride the Nighthawk it. It just takes practice and you have to use all of the methods and tips they tell you.
On your license, states vary in policy and law. Some will not accept out of state courses completion cards. If you are saying you do not have your M endorsement, I suggest you follow though and get it before moving to California. Most states are much more receptive to transferring an current M endorsement from another state than they are accepting the certificate from an out of state MSF site. California’s MSF program is managed by the MSF directly so, it may not cause any problem at all. You may need to check. I don’t know of a consolidated list, but do know of one for active duty military members that has information for many states. You might take a look to see what I’m talking about.

Link

Professor

The "S" box is actually very good training. Not that you would ever do a complete "S" when riding, but I have seen a few tight u-turns.

I always remember my training in those situations........weight shifted - head fully turned. It friggin works!!!

Well worth it.. It takes a while and some experience to apply those skills to a Busa but all of those maneuvers are possible on the big'n. I have found myself making tighter and tighter slow speed turns and thinking about MSF skills while doing so.

The MSF is definitely worth it. I'll try to squeeze in the time to take the ERC next Spring. In the ERC you use your own bike. It's mostly the BRC with some additions.

I just finished taking the ERC a couple of weeks ago and YES it is worth it!! It had been many years since I had taken any MSF course. The BUSA can make those tight turns, but weight MUST be shifted and like stated before get that head turned and you will make it just fine and room to spare!!
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif
The MSF course is well worth it. May even be a good idea to take the course on the Busa to get better training on it and then take the next level course.

The first thing I did when I got the 'Busa was to go through all the MSF maneuvers on it to make sure I was comfortable on it.  It is definitely doable.

Pandemic, I would definitely get your M1 endorsement before coming here to California.  If I recall it should be transferrable.  Which part are you moving to?

From the MSF website:

"Most locations issue an MSF RiderCourse Completion Card. Upon successful completion of the RiderCourse, some states, not all, will waive the on-bike riding skills test and/or the written test required to obtain your motorcycle operator's license or endorsement.
Please note that many states will not accept an MSF RiderCourse Completion Card issued from another state or from the Military."

Which part are you moving to? [/Quote]

I think he said it was: SquidVille.....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(Big Bo @ Oct. 15 2006,02:01) .... gives you a card to take to DMV that will wave the riding test.
you mean like ...
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

or perhaps 'waive'?

just rattling the cages this morining.
wink.gif

pirate.gif

(Busa Dude @ Oct. 15 2006,08:48) About how much does the MSF coarse cost ?
SHOCKED.gif
$219 here in California.  I think they just passed a law that it is required for anyone under 21 years of age to get an M1 certification.

I see you are in Georgia. It looks like it is $250 there.

Check this out.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/Training/motor/index.aspx

In my opinion this should be required for ANYONE to get their M1.

(Busa Dude @ Oct. 15 2006,10:48) About how much does the MSF coarse cost ?
SHOCKED.gif
We are cheaper than most states that do not receive funding from the host state.  It is $150 for a BRC and $75 for an ERC here.

On edit: And actually free to military and DOD civilians at the base location.

FREE here in IL  
super.gif

There is a $20 refundable registration fee but most candidates donate it to MSF at the end of the course.

I have my M endorsement for AL but I think I will have to take the written course/road course in CA when I move. But I think somebody here said they'll waive the road course with your MSF completion card.

I can do a u-turn on my busa but I admit I can't do one quite as tight as on the Nighthawk... plus I really didn't want to risk a drop from trying too hard too soon. But, yeah, those MSF tips really do work. I learned some things I didn't know already since I never had any training/instructor before. I used to have a bad habit of looking down at stops and sometimes I didn't always look through turns far enough. After completing the course this afternoon I went out and rode the busa and applied everything from the class and it was a big improvement.

There is an expert course that you use your bike. You are well on your way.

Congrats.

It was beneficial for me as well, I just took the ERC a couple days ago. Good info passed on and brought to light a couple of mistakes I was making and didn't realize. U-turn box was tricky on the busa for sure but workable with practice. Definitely opened my eyes on shifting body weight at low speeds!

Back