Crazy Random MSF question

likeapuma

Registered
Was talking to some other guys on a local (Hawaii) bike forum...

Has anyone on a busa ever been able to complete the figure-eight box turn without going outside the lines or putting a foot down?

I know it's a random question, but I was just curious.

Also...went for a ride with some guys this weekend...as soon as I pulled up I hear "well, guess we're going slow in the corners" and got it even worse after I told them I was just taking it easy going along for the ride.....

I didn't realize "banging turns" meant going at a snails pace around corners :whistle: Most of them were slowing ME down, and I was just having fun! :poke:

Bessie and I did the ERC and the figure 8 was the hardest part for me - but not impossible.

I could do it on my 1000, haven't bought a Busa yet. Bike is for sale right now, damn someone buy it already I have a lightly downed Busa for cheap in my sights........

I remember someone on here use to teach an MSF coarse, and said he use to do it, I think he said he had to turn the wheel all the way to the stops ?

Ask Vinny (Devildog), he's an MSF instructor and he was doing stand-on-the-pegs figure 8's in the garage at the Peppermill......I believe the bike's full left/right radius is larger though....Oh Vinny ????......

It can be done. You are required to do it in a 24'x70' box on a large bike. The box is 20'x60' for the BRC on the smaller bikes. I can do it on mine in the 20'x60' with my wheelbase at 60.5" (2 over stock) It is not easy but can be done!

Kenny may be talking about me. I teach the course but have been active the last year. I demo it on my bike while teaching the BRC.

I did the Riders edge Experienced Riders course (gets you MSF too) and did the figure 8, I thought it was easy compared to the offset cone weave. Granted, the offset weave might not be done on a regular MSF course...

I did the Riders edge Experienced Riders course (gets you MSF too) and did the figure 8, I thought it was easy compared to the offset cone weave. Granted, the offset weave might not be done on a regular MSF course...
the offset cones test is part of the IN proficiency test... they are harder than the figure 8 (on the busa) for me because you have to watch the ground where the cones are.. (like anyone rides staring at the ground)..

I've gotta ask: why does making a u-turn inside a painted box at a snail's pace without putting your foot down make you a better/safer rider? I have helibars and Genmar riser, and together, they reduce my turning radius to a certain degree, because of interference with fairing/windscreen. As a result, I used my Honda VTX for my MSF, but am still puzzled: what the heck difference does it make whether you put your foot down or not?
CW ???

I've gotta ask: why does making a u-turn inside a painted box at a snail's pace without putting your foot down make you a better/safer rider? I have helibars and Genmar riser, and together, they reduce my turning radius to a certain degree, because of interference with fairing/windscreen. As a result, I used my Honda VTX for my MSF, but am still puzzled: what the heck difference does it make whether you put your foot down or not?
CW ???

I am new to riding and have yet to master the figure 8 on any bike including the little honda 250 at MSF course, but I am guessing it is useful for parking lots and slow traffic. Saves you on the droppsies!!!! :)

I usually take the Busa on the range and warm up before I teach when no students there. We don't do anything on the range with our bikes once they are there because we want them to see us on demo on th esame bike they ride. The trick is getting the azz cheek :moon: off the bike and counter-balancing, turning your head and clutch control. I enjoy doing low speed stuff as much as high speed.

:beerchug:

CW ???

Because putting your foot down reduces control. The better you can balance, the better you can ride.

I haven't tried this yet on the Busa, but could easily do it on the XX with practice. The trick is throttle control and trail braking/dragging.

Because putting your foot down reduces control. The better you can balance, the better you can ride.

I haven't tried this yet on the Busa, but could easily do it on the XX with practice. The trick is throttle control and trail braking/dragging.

I tell my students not to brake in the U-Turn box. Good use of clutch control will get you through every time. This is not to say that you can't do it while braking but new riders tend to brake too much and slow to the point of losing the momentum they need to maintain balance.

when i took msf we used the rebels but clutch conrol is where its at i hav ea buddy with an 08 busa and he can't make a u-turn on a normal street hes about 5' 165lbs. I'm 5'11" 255lbs and i can muscle my busa around no problem just gata lean it in a little more and clutch it out. thats how i was taught and i still use it today. the better you are at the slwo stuff the better it makes you in the high speed stuff

After i completed the figure 8 without a footdown for the first time, i have had no problems since... i think it took me 3 or 4 trys to get it... I gave it a shot on my dad's goldwing without putting my footdown, but not really within the lines either :laugh:.

Also on Ft Hood they have a Sport Bike Rider course which has quite a bit of low speed turning; focusing on decreasing radius turns etc.. the little bike guys were talking crap about my Busa all morning... then all afternoon I was showing them how to ride.

The instructor actually got irritated with me because I kept "hitting the pylons with my tires" during the modified peanut drills. i had to explain to him that it was my toe and footpeg clipping his precious little pylons and that I couldnt move my foot any higher on the footpeg.... however, if he wanted I could slow down and take the turns like the little bikes.

however, while i feel nice and confident at low speeds.. im not real comfortable dragging my bike through corners at higher speeds. Very confident in a parking lot and not so much on the real road... but constantly learning and striving to be better!!

Last edited:
Back