A crazy question about using loctite

jeremy_283

Registered
I am not good with fluid dynamics sooo.... if you coat a bolt in loctite then thread it all the way tight then realize you need to loosen it up a bit... does that hurt the function of the loctite at all you think or you still think its all good to go and the bolt is still entirely coated as previously?

not if it was still wet when you backed off the bolt, how long did you wait to back it off? loctite dries in 5-10 minutes. If it dried, Id pull it out and recoat it. you dont need more than a good drop of the stuff. I generally just run a real thin bead along the threads and then install

not if it was still wet when you backed off the bolt, how long did you wait to back it off? Loctite dries in 5-10 minutes. If it dried, id pull it out and recoat it. You dont need more than a good drop of the stuff. I generally just run a real thin bead along the threads and then install

+100........

No it won't hurt anything. Loctite is like "thread glue". Just let it dry/set-up before exposing it to high temperatures.

it had JUST been tightened.... the loctite was on it for like 5 -7 minutes probably, i typically use a permatex blue threadlocker, packaging says it sets up in about 20 minutes it said and dries fully in 24 hours.....

it had JUST been tightened.... the loctite was on it for like 5 -7 minutes probably, i typically use a permatex blue threadlocker, packaging says it sets up in about 20 minutes it said and dries fully in 24 hours.....

You should be fine, If you were able to back it out easily it hadnt had time to set.

Most of the time loctite will stay wet until either a long period of time or heat cures it. Remeber you dont need much and make sure you use the right color.

Well not to threadjack but as for locktite i have found an awesome solution instead of using that crappy liquid stuff locktite now makes a medium strength tape so you wont have to worry about it dripping on stuff you dont want it on it works just like pipe tape and dries quickly and doesnt make a mess just an fyi I use it at work all the time since i got it I havent used the liquid stuff

249_QuickTape_167897_72dpi_171H_171W.jpg

Last edited:
Well not to threadjack but as for locktite i have found an awesome solution instead of using that crappy liquid stuff locktite now makes a medium strength tape so you wont have to worry about it dripping on stuff you dont want it on it works just like pipe tape and dries quickly and doesnt make a mess just an fyi I use it at work all the time since i got it I havent used the liquid stuff

Lmao if its dripping your using to much... it only works on the treads that it remains on. The Marine Corps pays top dollar for "special" bolts that come with the tiniest drop of already dry locktite...

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Back