Failed the road test at MSF...

Good self diagnosis, sound s like your on tje right track.

This is why I'm so persistant on new riders getting beginner bikes vs SS bikes of any cc
Posted via Mobile Device

dont plan on being on the street any time soon. Ive been treating it the same way I did when I first learned to drive a manual...just taking it easy riding on the quiet, low traffic streets where I live until I can shift, brake, take off uphill from a stop, make a quickstop and then pull off without stopping etc until all of that stuff becomes second nature. I live in a private neighborhood with a nice big cul de sac so its a pretty good practice environment.

This is similar to how we started to ride. Bought an 02 GSXR 600 and practiced on that in our quiet nieghborhood for about a month before we took the course. Learned the controls and basic handling of the bike first. It made it that much easier actually doing the course.
Good luck next time and practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up until that point I was killing all the drills and exercises which gave me a little too much confidence in my abilities...started pushing the envelope a little bit, took a corner too hot and went down.

Out of the mouths of babes.

You realize this statement never changes and always holds true.

Even if you have 10 years experience, it's no different.

You are very wise to realize this so early on. It's a good epiphany to have.

Even after 200,000 miles of riding, I still have to remind myself of this each time I ride.

:bowdown::bowdown:

Yeah, sounds like you know what you need to do to get it... Just get back in the saddle and give 'er another go...

GREAT advice on the dirtbike, btw. I dirtbiked for years before ever going to the street. Actually when I went to take the MSF course at 14, a buddy and I were taking it together and were by far the youngest in the class. The instructor in the very beginning actually said he would probably use us as examples, because dirtbiking for so long, you get a very good feel for this stuff... And throughout the class, he kept using me as an example. Passed it 100% flying colors on both written and riding. You might want to pick up a dirtbike a do some offroad riding. Nothing teaches you how to handle and react to a motorcycle better than a dirtbike. If you can keep the rubber side down on the dirt, you sure as hell should be able to do it on pavement.

practice, practice. Also, there are some people that just don't have the ability to ride a motorcycle. If you can't get into the swing of it you may want to reassess your desires to ride a motorcycle.

Those MSF courses are the way to go, though, for sure. They do an excellent job of setting you up with all the right foundation points, its just up to you to practice and put it all together!

I was 49 yrs old and wanted a bike, HA!!!! I bought a beater for $200. A friend rode it to my home. I rode it around the block, and up and down the street. After about two months, my friend came by and asked if I wanted to ride? I said sure, I have been riding around the block and a mile away riding in circles. He stated, the only way you are going to learn to ride is by riding.

We left my house and rode. 107 miles later, ALL the around the block riding, the circle riding, and sitting on the bike in the drive way was a thing of the past. I learned so much. I also live in a place where the cows and small two lane roads are plentyful. That 107 mile day I also jumped on the freeway (scary). I got over it.

The thing I will say is if you are afraid of the bike, or do not have the confidence, LEAVE it alone. If you live in a smaller city, or are close to one, have a friend that rides take you out on an all dayer. Take it slow. Ask questions. DO NOT hotrod. And if you can get on straight roads. Stop often, so you get to shift, and brake. It will forever change how you feel, and most importantly, it will take you from a 1 on the ride scale of 1 to 10, to a much higher number.

Then I took the MSF course.

Good luck.

missed it by two points. Heartbreaker. I think its for the best though because I was riding beyond my skill level a little bit. I lowsided in a cornering drill earlier in the session, got back on it and kept going but I just didnt ride the same...too tentative. When it came time to do the cornering drill for the skills test I took the corner about 2 seconds slower than everyone else.

Up until that point I was killing all the drills and exercises which gave me a little too much confidence in my abilities...started pushing the envelope a little bit, took a corner too hot and went down.

Going back next month for the re-test.

by the way, I took the course on a yamaha XT-250...never in a million years would I advocate hopping on a gsxr or busa as a first bike after that experience. You would have to be B-S Crazy.

SK-R, that is exactly what I thought about the Busa. I am scheduled to take the Basic Riders Course put on by ABATE for the military. The questionaire ask if I would be riding one of their MC's and I said, "Hecks Yea". :laugh:

practice, practice. Also, there are some people that just don't have the ability to ride a motorcycle. If you can't get into the swing of it you may want to reassess your desires to ride a motorcycle.

I dont think thats me. I can definitely do it and I had fun in the class. I drive for a living so I am already an expert in predicting and avoiding dumb drivers... I think like somebody said earlier I just need to practice until the controls become second nature. I remember many years ago when I got my first manual car I came up to a stop sign, couldnt get my head together to clutch break and downshift, ended up flooring the accelerator and shooting thru the intersection...eventually it became second nature and I could do it without thinking about doing it and eventually I'll get to that point on a bike. Hopefully I get it down before I think brake and grab throttle and shoot thru another intersection lol

This is why this kind of course is so important for all of us to take as riders. It is sometimes very humbling to say the least. learn from the mistakes and it will make you a better rider. True for all of us:rulez:

Lots of good advice here. Even after you go back and pass with flying colors... be honest with yourself. Don't go out on those roads until you know you are ready.

Good Luck!!

Why do you say that???? Thats my story!!:laugh: I failed the MSF course the first time, never dropped a bike or anything, just the normal struggles with learning clutch/throttle control getting the coordination, and of course, the dreaded figure 8. After that defeat, I took it again... and failed again (minor stuff that added up).

After the second defeat, (they almost didn't let me get a third chance!!) I bought a busa :whistle:. I didn't give up cause I knew I had it in me, after practicing going back and forth to work, going on the highway, getting gas, making u-turns, emergency braking etc...

I decided I was ready to get legal. Took it again, got the same instructors as before. Everything I had practiced paid off. Passed with flying colors overall and was ranked "unofficially" in second place (there was a kid there who rode dirt bikes since he was like 10... I can't compete with that!)

then again... well... don't go to accident/crash section.. nothing to see there :whistle: That was after I put on about 3000 miles on my baby (2000 of those legally).

Anyways, don't get discouraged. evaluate where you're at, if u can't get your hands on a old bike to practice, take the pre-BRC course where they let you ride around on the bikes for a couple of hours. Try not to over think anything. What they teach you in the BRC, although basic, is critical and requires continual practice to perfect.

believe in yourself, but of course, always be real with yourself. Good luck :thumbsup:

Back