Failed the road test at MSF...

SK-R

Registered
missed it by two points. Heartbreaker. I think its for the best though because I was riding beyond my skill level a little bit. I lowsided in a cornering drill earlier in the session, got back on it and kept going but I just didnt ride the same...too tentative. When it came time to do the cornering drill for the skills test I took the corner about 2 seconds slower than everyone else.

Up until that point I was killing all the drills and exercises which gave me a little too much confidence in my abilities...started pushing the envelope a little bit, took a corner too hot and went down.

Going back next month for the re-test.

by the way, I took the course on a yamaha XT-250...never in a million years would I advocate hopping on a gsxr or busa as a first bike after that experience. You would have to be B-S Crazy.

Slow down and get the form down just right. I think the point is doing the course correctly, not quickly. Let's see some self-control....

Practice and good luck!

My advice would be, by a small dirtbike and practice offroad. Learn the balancing technique, how a bike moves how to handle yourself in situations with a LIGHTER bike. Dirtbikes are lighter then motorcycles and thats why most that ride started out on mini bikes, to dirt bikes then motorcycles.
Practice hard braking techniques, practing braking as your turning, practice body postion on turning and taking a hard bump.
Once you are able to do all these without no issues and smooth then I would say get a street bike and try again, cause sooner or later you will have to manuver a motorcycle quickly to prevent an accident. Good Luck

practice, practice, practice...oh yeah, and good luck next month! :beerchug:

Good luck to you, but consider this. If you need that much focus just to ride the bike, you need to take a step back. Riding the bike needs to be second nature and done without thinking. Reason being, all your focus needs to be on your surroundings. You should never ride worried, concerned, or paranoid, but ever aware of your surroundings and the possible "what ifs?". As in who can or is about to cut you off or run you over.
Too many drivers don't see you, and or just don't care. As mentioned above, a small dirtbike to help you with the basics, offroad or in a parking lot would help you alot.
Learn at your own pace and don't be discouraged, just don't go out riding too soon.
Again, good luck to you:thumbsup:

Slow down and get the form down just right. I think the point is doing the course correctly, not quickly. Let's see some self-control....

Practice and good luck!

no there are actually timed components of the skills test. Gotta get in and out of corner in under 2.9 seconds...points are deucted for doing it lower.

Practice, Practice, Practice. Like others have said it needs to be second nature. Take it slow and get the proper technique down before putting an speed to it. You have to crawl before you can walk.

so you went "too hot" into a corner during a MSF course?

Do you already own a bike?

Best of luck to you brother. I think you're trying to do the right thing and that you're on the right track. Take your time, you'll get it :thumbsup:

Lots of good advice here. Even after you go back and pass with flying colors... be honest with yourself. Don't go out on those roads until you know you are ready.

Good Luck!!

I agree to what was said.Practice but also take a step back and think.You have to be one with the bike and it has to be second nature while on it.I will admit getting back on the street after all these years and on a busa none the less kinda made me nervous the first couple of times out but after that it all came back and l feel comfortable like I have been on it for years now.

You can't fail just from riding it too slowly, what other things we're you penalized for?

Honestly you have too look very deep inside, as to whether riding is for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can't fail just from riding it too slowly, what other things we're you penalized for?

Honestly you have too look very deep inside, as to whether riding is for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

When I took the course, if you drop the bike during the testing, you fail. He said he dropped it, so I would imagine that's why he failed...

Up until that point I was killing all the drills and exercises which gave me a little too much confidence in my abilities...started pushing the envelope a little bit, took a corner too hot and went down.

It happens. Doesn't mean you can't ride. Just focus and give it another shot. :)

When I took the course, if you drop the bike during the testing, you fail. He said he dropped it, so I would imagine that's why he failed...

:)
he crashed earlier in the course, he states.

He was too slow in the final exam. When I instructed, you were allowed to go a
2nd time.

You are correct crashing in the final, you will fail the test. Other then that it t takes multiple points off to fail tje exam, not just 1 thing
Posted via Mobile Device

he crashed earlier in the course, he states.

He was too slow in the final exam. When I instructed, you were allowed to go a
2nd time.

You are correct crashing in the final, you will fail the test. Other then that it t takes multiple points off to fail tje exam, not just 1 thing
Posted via Mobile Device

He mentioned going down, but mentioned it twice, so I'm unclear if he did it during the drills AND during the testing, or if he's just mentioned the drills incident twice. Doesn't matter, sounds to me like he's in the right environment to see if this is for him or not, the MSF course. :thumbsup:

no I fell before the exam, rode to slow out of fear of falling and failing during the exam.

I crossed the line once in the figure 8 box, that cost me 3 points. I had to do the quick stop twice because my ridercoach felt that I anticipated the stop...I did the stop perfectly in time and distance, but apparently both times thru I rolled off the throttle just before the braking cones, 15 points for anticipating the stop on the 2nd attempt. Then cornering...The last corner is timed from entry thru exit and you are given points based on your posted time. Ideal is under 2.9 seconds, points are added at different intervals above 2.9. I took close to 4 seconds...5 point deduction. Gave me a 23 and I needed 21 or better to pass.

15 points for anticipating the stop, in all honesty, was the real killer...but it was more because I rolled off the throttle too soon as opposed to there being anything wrong with my braking technique. Had I taken the corner the way I had been doing it before the fall, I would have made time and passed with an 18. I got perfect scores on everything else and I was the only person in my group who passed the figure 8 box without putting a foot down or crossing multiple lines.

For somebody who had never ridden before the course, I think I did fairly well. I think on the retest I just need to focus on riding the corner instead of trying not to fall in the corner and I'll do just fine.

Lots of good advice here. Even after you go back and pass with flying colors... be honest with yourself. Don't go out on those roads until you know you are ready.

Good Luck!!

dont plan on being on the street any time soon. Ive been treating it the same way I did when I first learned to drive a manual...just taking it easy riding on the quiet, low traffic streets where I live until I can shift, brake, take off uphill from a stop, make a quickstop and then pull off without stopping etc until all of that stuff becomes second nature. I live in a private neighborhood with a nice big cul de sac so its a pretty good practice environment.

Back