Crash this morning

dreamwalker

Registered
My brother was riding on a 2 lane street this morning in the left lane, in the right lane a few car lengths up a lady decided to turn left from the right lane. She never even looked back. She turned in front of him, he locked up his brakes and slammed head first into her drivers side door, him and the bike went up on the roof and over onto the street and slid for another 20 ft. or so. His head bounced off the roof of the car and then again on the pavement. If he wouldnt have been wearing his helmet he would be seriously injured if not dead. He's at the hospital right now getting x-rayed and checked out, but he didnt need an ambulance and he followed the tow truck to the shop with all of the pieces that used to be his bike. Some of you might remember that we just got back from a 5k mile road trip and he bought his bike right before we left. An '07 R1. He had it for about 8 weeks and now its totaled.
He was on his way home from work. Less than 5 miles away. This is a wake up call for anyone that doesnt want to put their lid on just for those 5 min runs to the store or to a friends. My family was blessed today and by the grace of GOD I still have my brother.
Be smart and safe everyone.

I'm glad to hear your brother is going be OK!

We have lost alot of riders this year in the Pacific NW, so if there is any good side of this story, its that he is going to be OK.

It's hard to believe we still have to preach to those guys (where states don't requuire helmets) how important and life saving helmets are. Helmets are required here in oregon, but I see so many guys in shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes (even sandals) that I know if helmets weren't required, there would be alot more of them lidless as well. (whew - long sentence!)

Same thing happened to me four years ago only it was a tractor trailer that turned left in front of me. He never checked his mirror before making his turn. I too was wearing a helmet and I convinced I'd be dead without it. I hit the asphalt face first at 50 mph and my head was the only thing not damaged.

The trailer ran over my leg and I was messed up good but I'm alive and walking and riding again. Here's the result of the bike.

Glad to hear your brother survived his accident.

http://www.skywatchsigns.com/signpix/bike-05.jpg
bike-05.jpg

Glad he is not hurt bad. Sorry about the bike but it can be replaced. Ride with care folks, this seems to be a bad year for bikers.

Glad he's ok - definitely sounds like one of the many examples of where a helmet saved a life.  I know it saved mine.

Oldroller,  HOLY $%&*!!!!!!  Sounds like you're lucky to be with us.  I had a similar run in with a semi truck - helmet and jacket saved me as well.

toast1.jpg

Damn Glad to hear your Bro is OK man. Oldroller, & johnnycrash glad you guys are still with us as well those bikes don't look good at all

good to hear your bro. is alright! sorry about the bike but i'm sure the lady's insurance will take care of that. they make the gear for a reason and this is definately a good examply why?

Glad to hear your brother came through OK, he had an guardian angel looking out him for sure. Oldroller & Johnnycrash, you are two lucky, lucky dudes. I absolutely feel naked without my gear on, even leathers in the summer. Sometimes I swear it takes me longer to get ready than to get where I am going! I wear a 3/4 helmet on my touring bike but I have spent so much time riding the 'busa with a full face that I am feel really exposed when wearing it.

BROTHER IS OKAY, THANK GOD !!!!!!! We have had too many taken from us already !!!!!!!!!

I know on my little spill, I had, I wasn't even going fast. I can still hear the noise my helmet made when it hit, and slid down the road !!

glad he will be ok...helmet saved my grape back in april when i crashed...cracked the back of an Icon domain helmet when i slammed into the asphalt...wont ride without it and we dont have a helmet law in Pa...****...nobody needs to make me wear one,im not that crazy

Glad he's going to be OK. Sounds like he was riding as safe as he could, it's just one of those things that just happens. You just got to be ready for it. Be safe out there!!!

Thanks everyone. My Brother is banged up but nothing broken. She did have insurance so at least he will get back in the saddle when hes healed and the insurance mess is taken care of. This happened in N. Illinois. Loves Park. We dont have a helmet law here but we also dont have a law about not drinking draino or jumping in front of bullets and yet most of us seem to follow that line of logic ok. If you truly cant enjoy or find the thrill of riding a bike unless youre not wearing a lid then you should just find another hobby.

Back