cornering and conflicting chicken strips

I understand about riding too hard on the street, but I'm actually on some back roads that I NEVER see cars on and am very careful not to go over the line.  I don't actually accelerate out of the corners because I want to learn the cornering right now and I don't really need to be blasting between turns.  I accelerate a little around the corner, or at least keep a constant speed.  I understand that accelerating out of the corner is what you normally do, and I do that sometimes, but I'm not on the track.  

So, back to my original question.....could you have less "wisdom" strips on the front tire because of being to aggressive going into the turn and then slowing down to much and not driving the corner?

Thanks for the inputs....Brian
Not sure how to answer your question differently, but...

It IS normal for your front to have a wider strip than the rear. This is a good thing, because if you're at the max lean angle and a tire gives away, you would much rather it be the rear than the front.

If you are going into the turn to aggressive, then this will actually load up the front a great deal, which will cause more deflection/roll of the tire sidewall, which will actually eat away at the "wisdom" strip. It will NOT wear less by being more aggressive. This is also when people tend to have the front end wash out on them. This is because the tire is loaded up faster than the traction allows, and out she goes. Your suspension setup is very critical for the front end traction. I used Jinkster's setup also, and it made a world of difference.

As a side note: Look in the Racing section. There is a sub-forum for Twisties. There's a lot of good info in there.

Hope this helps
cool.gif

If you are riding on the street, and trying to remove all traces of your chicken strips, then you are riding too hard.  If you keep pushing it that hard, either the front end is going to wash out on you, or you're going to cross the centerline into oncoming traffic.

Don't worry about the front.  If you still have "wisdom" strips, then that means you still have tread available for traction should the need arise to lean it harder.  This could save your azz one of these days.  If you're riding on the street at the very edge of the tires limits, then what options do you have if you misjudge your corner entry speed? NONE...that's the point.
Good Advice.

Back