Chicken strips

bigoltool

Registered
I just put a new Metzeler M3 on the front of my Busa and had been taking my time scrubbing it in. Well having completed that process to the best of my feeble abilities I started to get a bit more aggressive with her on my favorite local twisties. Now I am at the point where I am starting to spin up the rear Z6 (I even came home with small shreds hanging off the edges of it the other night!) on corner exits and dragging my toes (size 14’s gotta go somewhere) pretty good on corner entries; pretty much as far as I am willing to take it! My question is that my rear tire is scrubbed all the way to the edges to the point where the little elephants (it’s a Metzeler thing) are gone, yet my front tire is still showing almost 3/8â€￾ of virgin chicken strip on each side. When I had an M3 rear on (which was actually 5mm wider than the current Z6 (195mm VS 190mm measured)) it had a matching set of chicken strips to the M3 front. The only thing I have changed on the bike was adding the 1â€￾ raising links to the rear end which should actually load more weight on the front? Is this a sign of imbalance front to rear, dissimilar tire profiles, or am I just using the rear more aggressively now? The tires are in all cases the same stated size as stock. The bike seems to be handling better than ever and I am having a ball but just feeling a little inadequate with the unused rubber on the front tire!
biggrin.gif

It's likely that the profile is different from the front and rear - since they are not the same.

Just ask GSXtacy - I was complaining at last year's Bash that I couldn't get rid of my elephants... One track day took care of that!
biggrin.gif

I live in KS - so if I even get close to the edge, I'm doing good (and that's usually on a highway on-ramp!)
laugh.gif

Probably a little bit of difference in the tire profiles. Happens on most of the bikes that I have ever owned.
beerchug.gif

Typical... Its happened on every one of my tires :
OEM BT 56
Pilot Power in 190/50 , 120/70
Pirelli Super Corsa SOFT in 190/55. 120/70

I am to the lips of the back tires with rolled up rubber hanging off the edges, but have about 1/4" of unused tire on the front. With my knee on the ground, there isn't any more lean left, so I guess that's all you'll get on the Busa (unless you went to a 190/60 or 190/70 slick at the track.)

Like you, I have it raised +1 in the rear.

(bigoltool @ Jun. 21 2007,12:38) <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I just put a new Metzeler M3 on the front of my Busa and had been taking my time scrubbing it in. Well having completed that process to the best of my feeble abilities I started to get a bit more aggressive with her on my favorite local twisties. Now I am at the point where I am starting to spin up the rear Z6 (I even came home with small shreds hanging off the edges of it the other night!) on corner exits and dragging my toes (size 14’s gotta go somewhere) pretty good on corner entries; pretty much as far as I am willing to take it! My question is that my rear tire is scrubbed all the way to the edges to the point where the little elephants (it’s a Metzeler thing) are gone, yet my front tire is still showing almost 3/8â€￾ of virgin chicken strip on each side. When I had an M3 rear on (which was actually 5mm wider than the current Z6 (195mm VS 190mm measured)) it had a matching set of chicken strips to the M3 front. The only thing I have changed on the bike was adding the 1â€￾ raising links to the rear end which should actually load more weight on the front? Is this a sign of imbalance front to rear, dissimilar tire profiles, or am I just using the rear more aggressively now? The tires are in all cases the same stated size as stock. The bike seems to be handling better than ever and I am having a ball but just feeling a little inadequate with the unused rubber on the front tire! </span>
Are you doing all of that on the island or are you coming over to the mainland?

Are your internals on your forks and rear shock stock? Stock springs, valves, seals and fluid are garbage.

I am wondering if you have your sag set properly. Has your bike been set up yet for your weight?

Due to the different profiles you'll reach the edge of the rear before the edge of the front, no big deal.

The ONLY place I have gotten to the edge of the front is at trackdays and never on a busa, yet
firedevil.gif

several factors could be involved:

Chassis geometry: by raising your rear end 1" you alter rake and trail characteristics of the Busa. But this is a good thing if you're shredding twisties.

Suspension: kinda goes hand in hand with geometry. You may want to check your sag/compression/rebound settings on the front end. Also sliding the forks through the triples can affect ride height.

Tire profiles: this was stated earlier so no need to really harp on it anymore.

Rear Wheel alignment: It may be slightly off in relation to the front wheel. There's a thread in one of the technical forums regarding alignment using twine.

I have that issue too on my Gixx. Completely shredded rear w/ no chicken strips and 1 1/2 mm of chicken strips on the front. As long as you have good traction, no understeer (hard front end push/front tire slide, wants to run wide) or oversteer (backend wants to step out past the front, sometimes culprits for highsiding) you should be fine.

(Cookie @ Jun. 21 2007,13:38)
(bigoltool @ Jun. 21 2007,12:38) <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I just put a new Metzeler M3 on the front of my Busa and had been taking my time scrubbing it in. Well having completed that process to the best of my feeble abilities I started to get a bit more aggressive with her on my favorite local twisties. Now I am at the point where I am starting to spin up the rear Z6 (I even came home with small shreds hanging off the edges of it the other night!) on corner exits and dragging my toes (size 14’s gotta go somewhere) pretty good on corner entries; pretty much as far as I am willing to take it! My question is that my rear tire is scrubbed all the way to the edges to the point where the little elephants (it’s a Metzeler thing) are gone, yet my front tire is still showing almost 3/8â€￾ of virgin chicken strip on each side. When I had an M3 rear on (which was actually 5mm wider than the current Z6 (195mm VS 190mm measured)) it had a matching set of chicken strips to the M3 front. The only thing I have changed on the bike was adding the 1â€￾ raising links to the rear end which should actually load more weight on the front? Is this a sign of imbalance front to rear, dissimilar tire profiles, or am I just using the rear more aggressively now? The tires are in all cases the same stated size as stock. The bike seems to be handling better than ever and I am having a ball but just feeling a little inadequate with the unused rubber on the front tire!  </span>
Are you doing all of that on the island or are you coming over to the mainland?

Are your internals on your forks and rear shock stock? Stock springs, valves, seals and fluid are garbage.

I am wondering if you have your sag set properly. Has your bike been set up yet for your weight?
No place on the Island to get by with much of that kind of riding.
laugh.gif
I commute about thirty miles south every day and usually use the Farm roads to avoid the I-5 grind. Gotta avoid the cow pies now and then but the road is much more entertaining than the highway!

My Suspension is all stock right now. I have the Fork Preload maxed and my static sag on the front is about 35% as last measured. I have it written down somewhere but I can't recall where my Damping settings are at right now. So I know I need to get new Springs at the very least. Alignment is good as well, as measured from the swingarm pivot to the rear axle. Haven't had much luck with the string method.

In the end it sounds like I am having about the same wear characteristics as most, its just that I was coming from the M3 set with pretty even strips front to rear, to the M3/Z6 combined with the +1 links on the rear.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

If you are fast, AND still have chicken strips, it proves your technique rocks! elimination of chicken strips is a false measure of skill

(WWJD @ Jun. 21 2007,15:59) If you are fast, AND still have chicken strips, it proves your technique rocks!    elimination of chicken strips is a false measure of skill
+1
The whole purpose of a proper lean is to keep your bike as vertical as possible. MOST people incorrectly lean with their butt and hips swung out, when in fact, your lead in shoulder and head should be your main focus..."peeking around the wall, eyes as far into the corner as possible". Dropping your lead shoulder into the corner all the time is good practice. Keep the head and shoulders leaned way out from the bike and your outside knee should be firmly pressed into your tank and all of these fundementals together puts your drag knee in perfect position.
Constantly pushing your tires to compensate for inproper lean technique puts your rear tire in a constant state of danger and you're bound for a lowside or worse, a highside crash. Less frequent on a carefully planned track surface, but on public roads, you're time is limited.
Myth Busted! Chicken strips don't exist.

(bitabur @ Jun. 21 2007,16:06) I remember there being some nice sweeping curves around camano island.
The road around the island is not bad, but lots of inhabitants and traffic usually. Not a good idea to Tear a$$ around the place you live. Only one way on/off this puppy!
laugh.gif

(Luvanicebum @ Jun. 21 2007,17:24)
(WWJD @ Jun. 21 2007,15:59) If you are fast, AND still have chicken strips, it proves your technique rocks!    elimination of chicken strips is a false measure of skill
+1
The whole purpose of a proper lean is to keep your bike as vertical as possible.   MOST people incorrectly lean with their butt and hips swung out, when in fact, your lead in shoulder and head should be your main focus..."peeking around the wall, eyes as far into the corner as possible".   Dropping your lead shoulder into the corner all the time is good practice.  Keep the head and shoulders leaned way out from the bike and your outside knee should be firmly pressed into your tank and all of these fundementals together puts your drag knee in perfect position.
Constantly pushing your tires to compensate for inproper lean technique puts your rear tire in a constant state of danger and you're bound for a lowside or worse, a highside crash.  Less frequent on a carefully planned track surface, but on public roads, you're time is limited.
Myth Busted!  Chicken strips don't exist.
Ya guys beat me to it!

--Wag--

(Wag @ Jun. 21 2007,19:42)
(Luvanicebum @ Jun. 21 2007,17:24)
+1
The whole purpose of a proper lean is to keep your bike as vertical as possible.   MOST people incorrectly lean with their butt and hips swung out, when in fact, your lead in shoulder and head should be your main focus..."peeking around the wall, eyes as far into the corner as possible".   Dropping your lead shoulder into the corner all the time is good practice.  Keep the head and shoulders leaned way out from the bike and your outside knee should be firmly pressed into your tank and all of these fundementals together puts your drag knee in perfect position.
Constantly pushing your tires to compensate for inproper lean technique puts your rear tire in a constant state of danger and you're bound for a lowside or worse, a highside crash.  Less frequent on a carefully planned track surface, but on public roads, you're time is limited.
Myth Busted!  Chicken strips don't exist.
Ya guys beat me to it!

--Wag--
Dang Nabit
pissed.gif

All great info above, I'll add one more thing...friends and myself were filming me coming around a pretty tight sweeper, 8-9k rpm in 2nd. What I learned(with friends watching from side of road) is that, powering away from the apex while coming to the vertical, my rear tire both spun and squished down under power....demands simply not made on the front tire. This rear tire only demand results in edge scuffing far more intense than front tire exposure. The thing that was interesting to me is that I felt totally controlled at all times including rolling it on gently at the exit(aren't we always working on smoothness). So, there is far more to this equation than just lean angle. BTW rear pressure was 38psi and tires are PP's.

Raydog

since everyone else has covered the tires... You should not be scraping your toes. If the front of the ball of your feet is on the footpeg (or rearset), I can't see you dragging your toes. You might want to make a conscious effort to place them properly.

It took a while from the time I removed my rear chicken strips to graduate on the front also. So in my case it was just an issue of going faster and leaning harder. Btw, if you're draggin your toes you need to start moving your feet back on the pegs on entry so that doesn't happen.

Ian
www.redlinestands.com

(Luvanicebum @ Jun. 21 2007,19:24)
(WWJD @ Jun. 21 2007,15:59) If you are fast, AND still have chicken strips, it proves your technique rocks! elimination of chicken strips is a false measure of skill
+1
The whole purpose of a proper lean is to keep your bike as vertical as possible. MOST people incorrectly lean with their butt and hips swung out, when in fact, your lead in shoulder and head should be your main focus..."peeking around the wall, eyes as far into the corner as possible". Dropping your lead shoulder into the corner all the time is good practice. Keep the head and shoulders leaned way out from the bike and your outside knee should be firmly pressed into your tank and all of these fundementals together puts your drag knee in perfect position.
Constantly pushing your tires to compensate for inproper lean technique puts your rear tire in a constant state of danger and you're bound for a lowside or worse, a highside crash. Less frequent on a carefully planned track surface, but on public roads, you're time is limited.
Myth Busted! Chicken strips don't exist.
Not on my bike anyway
laugh.gif

Back