cop shoots rider in back

i did not see bikers turn around to see cop at the stop...no speaker statment..no lights...so it was probably just a take off...we have all done it...at night all you see are headlights shinning at you...man looses control in seconds...stopped at next sign withing 20 secs...man waits paitnetly as other cop siren drowns out any instructions wich was a yell and shot within 1 sec...thats all i hear...and if he was so threatened...why did he holster and then redraw.......no sir...no threat...just turned to hear instructions...didnt grab for anything...was not intimidating in any way...

i did not see bikers turn around to see cop at the stop...no speaker statment..no lights...so it was probably just a take off...we have all done it...at night all you see are headlights shinning at you...man looses control in seconds...stopped at next sign withing 20 secs...man waits paitnetly as other cop siren drowns out any instructions wich was a yell and shot within 1 sec...thats all i hear...and if he was so threatened...why did he holster and then redraw.......no sir...no threat...just turned to hear instructions...didnt grab for anything...was not intimidating in any way...

exactly!

This video kinda scares me, when I am pulled over (use to be alot :whistle: ) I react just like the guy in the video did. I put the bike in neutral and sit there with my hands on the tank, if I hear the officer say anything I turn to look just like the guy did before he was shot.....wow I have been closer to being shot than I thought :(

When officer get to my side I turn off the bike and take off the helmet so he doesn't think I am reaching for anything as he comes up. From now on I think I am just going to reach my hands straight out to the side until he comes up.
Cops have a very hard and stressfull job, when the guy ran the officer has to prepare for the worse possible outcome. Its the officers job to uphold the law when you willingly break the law you give any and all law inforcement permission to do whatever they think is nessicary to stop you. In this case it was take too far but the end result if the guy had not ran he would have never been shot.

Not to thread jack but a couple of weeks ago in Lebanon, Tn a man ran from the cops in a car when he was stopped (with force) two officers got out of the car guns drawn, one officer slipped in mud and his gun went off the other officer thought he was being shot at so the guy running was shot several times and killed the man was unarmed. I see this as bad luck. If he would have just stopped he would still be here today.

In the end if you run more than likely you will get away on a bike (cops just can't keep up), however, you have to ask yourself is it really worth risking my life just to get out of a ticket???

And finally on a comic note if your gonna try to run don't do it on a Harley :poke: You won't make it, bike may fall apart forget about the cop.:laugh:

Holy smokes I cant believe what I just saw as you say.
Talk about adrenalin overload clouding proper thought !
First thing is this is prime reason no matter what stop...just stop cuz no penalty is worse than that .
Take off and you open yourself up to what happened and what seems to be a terrible terrible "mistake" maybe ?
I dont know and I wasnt there but he eventually stopped and put his hand on thigh as we all do when we stop but cop not wanting to risk himself shot him .
Hopefully some LEOs here can say what they would have done if same happened to them.
Would not want to be on that jury at all.

They were stopped and then took off. After that I cant defend them cuz what happens happens.
Further down the road cops would have put stop strips in road and he would have crashed at speed anyway. looks to me like both made the mistake of their lives.
They don't use stop sticks on motorcycles.

Every situation is diff .

Agreed.

Yes get off bike slowly and face him

This is the part that is going to put you in more danger.

Think of it in a very primal manner. If you face a wild dog and make eye contact you are a threat. Getting off of your bike and turning toward the cop is making you more threatening because you are now positioned to attack.

Shutting the bike off and taking off your helmet, if you have one on, is telling the officer you aren't going anywhere. Keeping you butt on the seat makes it harder for you to attack making you less of a threat.

If you don't ride with a helmet you shut off your bike, take the keys out of the ignition and keep your hand on the top of the gas tank until they instruct you to do otherwise.

Sad story ...

No reason to shoot there.... none

There's a proper procedure to apprehend a man... get off bike hands in the air ... drop to the ground arms to the sides etc etc .... anything else before you fire your weapon and shoot someone. I hope justice is served for this ...

Very sad situation indeed. Think of the lives effected from this on both sides.

2 things I noticed about this video, first can we say leading the witness?? :rofl: :poke:

2nd After watching the raw dash cam video and notice that officer popped him and let the bike lay on him for well over a minute someone runs over and picks it up off of him. Think about for a second, you just shot someone you can now see you screwed up he is indeed unarmed. Now you are going to let a 600+lb bike that was / is running lay on top of him :poke::poke:

Serve and protect right?!?

This abuse in no way discredits the folks out there risking everything for my family and I but this, cannot be argued away this was a screw up. If I screw up I expect to be punished, should go the same way for everyone ???

This is just sad. A bike rider will not ride again for just joy riding. Very WRONG on the part of the cop. The guy on the bike did nothing to warrant getting shot and shot in the back.

And yes why would the cop shot him holster then draw again. Something is really wrong with that cop. Just a very sad situation over all.

From the angle that the motorcyclist was. I don't think the the officer had any or very little worries about him turning 180 degrees to fire a shot. Lets look at the facts. The officer didn't turn his lights on until the motorcyclist took off from the stop sign faster then they should of. Motorcyclist was shot in the back.

Rider ran. Whether its for one second or one hour this puts thoughts into the cops head.
Is he a murderer ?
Is he a drug runner ?
Is he gonna hurt me ?

He ran and by doing that did not get same treatment as any of us would if he simply had stopped.
To answer III's question first you stop period.
You will get much more respect and proper treatment from it.
Second make no sudden moves.
Third I have always gotten off of bike to let him know I aint going anywhere.
Then I take helmet off for two reasons.
One it keeps your hands up where he can see them and again with helmet off and in hand cop will be more at ease knowing your not fixin to mount up and run again.
If he had stopped when first lit up none of this would have happened I say again.

They didn't even know there was a police car behind them. What even more wierd is there was another cruiser with lights on 20 seconds later. Sounds like the policeman was following them waiting for them to do something wrong and had back up ready.

This is a basic model of how to make decisions involving the use of force for law enforcement officers. I'm sure there are slightly different versions of it out there and they do change it up every few years but i has always been fundamentally the same for me during the last 12 years.

It's easy to scrutinize officer action with the aid of 20/20 hind site, but for the life of me I can not reasonable perceive anything the subject did in that video as assaultive in anyway. Yes maybe their are few things the subject could have done to present himself in a less threatening manner to that officer, but none of that justifies the officer's response.

The reason law enforcement officers are so well respected is the same as why they are so heavily scrutinized. Lets face it, most of us don't have these kind of consequences or risks associated with how we earn our paychecks.

The first time I saw this video I was somewhere between wanting to cry and feeling like I needed to vomit.

UoFM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That cop was wrong and needs to be fired and sent to jail. The department needs to be sued. The man did not have a weapon. And I don't care what the officer was saying he should have never fired his weapon without seeing a weapon. These cops are just scared and need to find another line of work.

This is appalling. These events show an incredibly tragic failure of the relationship between the police and the people they are there to serve and protect.

What shocks me almost as much is how this behaviour is another universe from the place where I live and ride. Although lil old England has been edging in the same direction with the police carrying firearms on occasions. I have never ever felt in fear of my life. Its the general situation which created that shooting which seems like pure madness to me. As I understand it, your cops are fearfull they are going to get shot, so they dont feel like taking a chance. Here they dont because guns are few and far between (no one needs them). The cops everywhere are doing a hugely difficult job. We cant put the blame entirely on the cop, nor can we blame the victim entirely for the outcome that happened. Its not the biker or cop - the thing which is very wrong here, is a situation that creates that moment where a the riders foolishness and the cops fearfulness can end actually end up costing a life.

Why not have a situation where everyone can relax, and the biker gets picked up when the next traffic camera registers his number plate further down the road? :thumbsup:

Biker can go to court, lose his licence and pay a fine, or whatever for some minor infringment, and cop can get on with his life and his job and have beer at home in the evening in the knowledge of a good days work?? That is a win win situation isnt it? :cheerleader:

Last edited:
Even if the guy was armed and had a pistol pulled,If your staddle a bike like he was you could nt turn around far enough to fire at anyone directly behind you to hit them. In that position the officer would have had some more time to decide what to do while the biker was trying to get into a pos. to fire directly behind.

Doesn't matter what was going through the cops head. He wasn't visibly threatened in any way at that point. The fact that he re-holstered his weapon shows that he knew he screwed the pooch on that call.
:agree:

They should not have ran, that's just stupid.......but there were no actions during the whole situation to justify that shooting.

Back