Lane sharing in reverse?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I was watching some biker road rage videos and saw a car passing a bike in his lane. I say his, meaning they were both in the same lane of traffic. Here, we share the same lane with cars and don’t piss anyone off but a biker in the video got mad because a car did to him what he does to them, passing in the same lane. Is this right? I know it’s unexpected but to many car drivers even here in CA. it’s unexpected when we ‘share’ a lane with them too. So, was the biker justified being pissed or was he just startled and got mad? In another video a bike passed another bike in his lane but on the right. I never do this and think it’s dangerous. A Ducati rider did this to me one day in the Santa Cruz hills and when we got to Alice’s I told him I thought it was a dumb thing to do. The Ducati had a dangling front blinker so maybe he wasn’t the best rider. Unless you’re riding with a buddy and passing on either side, it’s commonplace to pass only on the left isn’t it? At least where we ride on the right unlike in the UK or in other backwards countries.:poke: :laugh: Several bikers also revved the crap out of their motors when they got mad too. Is this common? Clear to the limiter? WTH?

I'd never lane share.....all it would take was a tiny bump by a distracted driver and you would be toast...

I've watched a few of those videos as well and there are people with real problems out there.

I no longer commute that much here in SoCal but my experience is M-F drivers (and riders) are safer for splitting than a weekend, for instance. #1 & #2 lane drivers tend to expect the coming split, are looking out for it. Other times/hours, not so much.

I had a car pass me on the left half on the shoulder and half in my lane. I was about to veer left a few inches too and something in the back of my mind said "looK". Glad I looked. He came less than a foot away as I swerved to the right. I guess I was sort of pissed and started after him but then I thought, " I was just doing over 100 on the expressway. Who am I to complain about an unsafe driver?" This guy wanted in on the action. :laugh: I guess if you're going to play you should expect others are going to play with you.

The question is still there. Is it ok for a car to lane split as we riders do? As unexpected as it may sound, how different is it from our doing it?
Not sure I understand the question, as I lane split to get home in time for the game today and did not see gaps between the lanes large enough to accommodate a smart car, much less a sedan.

You mean the weaving in and out of, say, lanes 1 & 2? Don't all cars do that pretty much all the time? They do here in So Cal

Not sure I understand the question, as I lane split to get home in time for the game today and did not see gaps between the lanes large enough to accommodate a smart car, much less a sedan.

You mean the weaving in and out of, say, lanes 1 & 2? Don't all cars do that pretty much all the time? They do here in So Cal

man?

as far as i undersstood there are two generally different behaviors

1. the lane splitting
and
2nd the changing of lanes

the splitting is deathyfying dangerous for bikes if done by a car against em

the changing is quite usual even here on our 2 or more lane roads and won´t be that dangerous as splitting.

the splitting only can be done by bikes as we usually do if we´re on the road in groups of two or more bikes

in the case of bicycles, the "split" is much safer because the follower can see past the bike in front, which more or less almost doubles the reaction time and the braking distance.

i personally never ever "sniff" the rear wheel of my driver in front!

and if i´m alone with my bike i drive that way that i get a free view forward between the cars - very close to the lane deviding line what more or less almost doubles or triples my reaction time and braking distance (again).

Back