Cold weather riding

theskaz

I am all that is BACON!
Donating Member
Registered
So i just got my bike fixed and in 3 days put 670 miles on it. i can still see the angel indentions on the Pirelli Angel ST. I assume that with the cold weather my tires arent going to grip worth a damn so im taking it real easy (and just now jumping back on the horse that bucked me off). of those 3 days the highest temp was 60 and the lowest was 44. I went and bought some winterish gloves and inserts. At 70-75 MPH they didnt do crap. They are Tourmaster somethingoranothers. So i head to wally world and grab some hand warmers and put them in the pouch. useless. took em out of the pouch and put them inside the inserts.... useless. fingers still froze.

Is there a way to keep my fingers at least not frozen?
Is there something that can keep my face/nose/neck warm without fogging up my glasses? (anti-fog doesn't work)

BTW riding @ 1am in 44 degree weather is awesome. try it :)

I've heard you can pull latex gloves over the outside of your gloves to block the air :dunno:

I rode to work last week, running down the parkway at 6am and it was 38f. I wear an electric liner so my torso and arms were fine. I also wear one of those neck "thingys" and that works for keeping the wind off my neck. My leather "winter" gloves did nothing. I ordered a set of electric gloves.

Heated clothing is a one-time investment that is worth the cost.

Snowmobile gloves with rain covers work pretty well, I ride year round up here without any heated gear. I think my neck thingy is called a balaclava or something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

I personnaly like dive gloves 3 mils, not real good for protection but keep my hands nice and toasty, about $30.00 a pair :thumbsup:

I ride year round and really enjoy the cold crisp air of a late night ride! This past weekend temps were between 34 and 44 no matter what the time.
I have yet to conquer the cold hands issue. I do know that if your gloves are tight, like when you put in liners with your regular gloves, your hands WILL get colder faster. Restricts blood flow. A loose pair will keep you wamer. The heated gear is always an option, but i have this issue with being tethered o a bike..:laugh: not to mention the cost! I'm going to try the heated grip solution and see where that goes.
Neck: Bandana. I always have one with me. Multitude of uses and works fairly well in the cold.
I picked a wind stop fleece lined jacket at Sam's for like $30. I planned to use it as a liner for my leather. It has a very high collar. Took it for a ride yesterday in the low 40's and WOW! the high collar fit snug against the helmet and closed off all the cold air! When I rode without my helmet..yes i do that, this jacket kept my neck and the rest of me very warm.
Oh one last word..Mittens. works when I hunt.:thumbsup:

I have a pair of long, lined, leather snowmobile gloves that do a great job. The upper part is very long and overlaps my jacket sleeve so no air gets in. I also have a helmet liner/mask made for snowmobiling that works well for the neck and face. I lived in Wisconsin for many years and learned to keep warm when snowmobiling in sub zero temps. Of course, frequent shots of tequila helped ! :laugh:

I just ordered some duofold thermal underwear shirts and pants to try out. I plan to layer on top of that and hopefully not too bulky. If that fails the cold test I will go for heated liners. I also have a set of Olympia winter gloves. So far so good with those at low cruising speeds in 50degree temps. Haven't been out when it's lower than that. I have also slowed down considerably to watch out for cold tires and pavement.

I bought this pair last winter and absolutely love them for riding in temps around low 40's.

I broke them out for a ride yesterday or so when it was 42 in the morning and they are great.

showImage.jsp

What I use for cold weather riding.

Gerbing heated jacket liner
Gerbing's Heated Clothing // Heated Jacket Liner

Alpinestars Balaclava
Touring Winter Balaclava - Alpinestars Official Store

PinLock visor anitfog
Pinlock Antifog Inserts

I have heavy winter riding gloves
Bristol Leather: a division of Creations Jez
But I'm going to spring for a set of these heated gloves.
Buy Now: Heated Gloves for Motorcyclists- Powerlet | Pashnit Moto Products

Under the leather riding pants I wear.
Multi Pant - Baselayer|HH_One - Men - Snow & outdoor - Helly Hansen.com

Hope this helps

:beerchug:

cheers
ken

Heated gear isn't cheap, I know, but it really works. I am uniformed LE, and to be able to wear just my uniform, heated liner and leather jacket in 38f before the sun rose, ripping down the parkway at 75, and just have my hands cold was all the reason I needed to buy the gloves. I threw in an RF-1100 too to get the free shipping.:whistle:

Wish they would get here already...

Go to Gerbing website, pull out CC and order their new heated gloves. The ones with the "ribbon" instead of wires. They look and feel like standard gloves not bulky ones. Hard wire the Gerbing plug and you have access to all kinds of cold weather riding. I have Gerbing pants, gloves , jacket and socks. I use their dual thermostat controller so I can change temps on the hands or feet or chest. Wardie

So i just got my bike fixed and in 3 days put 670 miles on it. i can still see the angel indentions on the Pirelli Angel ST. I assume that with the cold weather my tires arent going to grip worth a damn so im taking it real easy (and just now jumping back on the horse that bucked me off). of those 3 days the highest temp was 60 and the lowest was 44. I went and bought some winterish gloves and inserts. At 70-75 MPH they didnt do crap. They are Tourmaster somethingoranothers. So i head to wally world and grab some hand warmers and put them in the pouch. useless. took em out of the pouch and put them inside the inserts.... useless. fingers still froze.

Is there a way to keep my fingers at least not frozen?
Is there something that can keep my face/nose/neck warm without fogging up my glasses? (anti-fog doesn't work)

BTW riding @ 1am in 44 degree weather is awesome. try it :)
most correct... when temps hit the 50's and the road is cold, tires do not grip well because they do not get hot..

lower tire pressures a bit and take life easy...

I use the Tour Master Synergy heated gear. Decent price, easy install, no separate controller unit to buy, all of the pieces integrate with one-another (i.e. there are power outlets at the end of the sleeves to plug the gloves in, at the bottom of the jacket for the pants) and I've been sweating my arse off in sub-40 degree weather more than once. I guess the "high" setting is for Arctic temps or something I don't know.

I cant help you with the gloves, My hands still get cold.

However that Neck thingy there talking about, I got one from a local Dealership
( Nope not expensive ) so far this has been my best clothing investment ever. Keeps the neck warn and the air from traveling down the front of your shirt.

Ok, here is my $27 dollars secret.... Heated Grip Kit - Heated Grips & Accessories - A to B Utilities :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear Very easy to install, and the low/high switch works great....:beerchug: I used to have heated gloves but they feel bulky.... with these heated grips you can still use your normal gloves and your hands will always be toasty.....:thumbsup:

Thank you! Any comments or tips on installation?

My set is ordered now.

My wife got me heated grips last year . OMG!!! I ride unless it's snowing,regardless of temps . I've ridden in temps @ 20 degrees at night with the grips and hands are toasty . They were a gift so I have no idea on cost . But they are worth whatever the cost was .

Back