Cold weather riding....what do you wear &

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
Since the "seasons are a changin" in many parts of the country I was wondering how many folks ride their busa's in cold weather? When do some of you put the bike away for the winter? Below 50 degrees? 40? 30? Lower? And what do you wear in cold temps and how does the bike run in cold weather?

And no wise cracks from you Revlis-like folks who live in very warm states like Florida, Texas or S. Cali

I live in GA and have riden in the thirties plenty of times. I wear a leather jacket, sweatshirt, long sleves and leather gloves. Pants-just my uniform pants or once and a while a pair of snow pants. Yes my legs are frozen by the time I get on the highway but once you get past the cold part and the burning starts it's not to bad. :laugh:

Most important thing to do is Layer your clothes and be wind proof. Pay special attention to your Neck, and hands/wrists...

Widder Electric vests are supposed to be good stuff.

Remember man, I was in Colorado till just a few years ago...me and cold weather riding are old buddies. Though I will think of you when I am out sweating in the 80's this December...sorry, couldn't resist...

Down to 30 for me but not snow or ice on roads, thanks. Also watch for salt/sand all over pavement.
Thick clothes, leathers, rain suit on top of it all to cut wind, scarf, wool padded leather gloves

**REMEMBER** YOUR TIRES WILL BE VERY COLD AND NOT TOO STICKY. Also, thaw your bike out a decent amount of time before you roll on it. Anybody else put STABIL in your Gas? I always have but don't know if it really makes a diff. It gets to -20 in Iowa sometimes

I used to live in Oswego NY, right on lake Onterio / Canadian border.  I have ridden in rain, snow, sleet hail, etc...
Electric vest & gloves w/ cotton liners and leather gloves over the top.  Scarf is mandatory!  Looks silly but very necessary.  
I even use one here in AZ when it gets cold.
(Cold for me now = < 60 degrees)  
Long johns, jeans and snomobile pants.  If you have the $ go for a one piece snomobile suit & gloves w/ gauntlets.
Heaviest insulated boots you can shift with.

See no wise cracks!
:D

How about wisecracks from folks in Okinawa? hehe

Its tough, last winter it got down into the 40s. Man that was cold... :bounce:

I normally dont ride when it is below 50. Then again, I dont have that much cold weather gear either. Gloves are the key to keeping warm for me. They catch more wind than any other part of yer body. You can always crouch and outta the wind and keep warmer.

Put he Busa away for winter? Oh yeah, what is that anyways??? :D

because of insurance (my rate is for 9 months....it doesn't cover me for anything but theft/comprehensive for Dec thru Feb. But no matter what, I would not ride in Chicago during those months anyway....just don't want to put the bike away in October!!!

I wear long johns that are made for snow skiing, both top and bottoms and layer on top of that. The main thing I have found is that you need something to cover your chin area and the best thing I have found is also related to snow skiing is a piece that goes from your lower chin/upper chest area to your nose/mouth area. I don't know what it is called but when you ride in cold weather if you are not careful and used to it you can get a really bad sore throat. That has helped me most. Have fun riding! Here is a pic of my old TL1000R when we rode in Gatlinburg with snow on the ground!

Oh yeah! Forgot the long johns part. Bought some just for riding. I don't HAVE TO ride in winter to save money or anything.... I just get to missing it and say to myself and co-workers: "Hey! People ride snowmobiles when it's 30 outside just for pleasure, why can't I bundle up and enjoy my hobbie? Ever see anyone drive their snowmobile to a downtown office??" :) Besides the long johns keep my stuff toasty all day at work too! mmmmmmmm

I wear a T shirt, sweatshirt, longjohns, and wrap a scarf around 3 times. I pull up the scarf to cover my chin. Leather pants and jacket and a good pair of winter gloves.

The coldest I've ridden in is 34 deg.
I try to ride to work every day unless it's raining.

On the busa, lowest temp was just below freezing, in the snow (very light). This was a 2 hour trip, I had a blast and yeah it was cold, but I wasn't uncomfortable at any time. I wear an aerostitch 1pc roadcrafter, an aerostitch electric vest and regular clothes for the season. I've ridden in 17F before, with bad gear. It wouldn't be as bad now that I have good gear. GEAR IS GOLDEN.

Back