Chrome?

Scooter

Registered
Back in the 80's, my sportbike riding friends would poke fun at me for chroming every little detail on my Harley. They said, "Chrome don't get ya home!"

But chrome has always been a big part of customizing a cruiser. Sportbikes however, are supposed to be high-tech and light-weight. You know, carbon fiber and titaniium.

(Personally, I'm doing my Busa up in as many CF pieces that I can find - that don't look tacky.)

Now, I see chromed-out sportbikes. Huh? Did I miss something? I'm all for self-expression, but when did the change happen? And why?

busa_carbon.jpg

I too am blingless. In fact, going more blingless with my '05 LE. Powdercoating everything that is still not satin flat black, just that.
biggrin.gif

Sorry but I consider carbon fiber bling city. Especially CF parts that serve no purpose...aka everything.
laugh.gif

I love chrome...I want some chrome rims for my Busa and will get them when I can afford them.

I agree that carbon is bling. But it is strong and light. Like sportbikes in general. IMO, it's a good match.

I'm not saying that chromed-out sportbikes don't look good - they do! I'm just wondering when sport riders decided that chrome+sportbike=cool?

Of course now my Harley-riding friends see chomed sportbikes and say, "They just wish they had Harleys."
tounge.gif

I'm just wondering when sport riders decided that chrome+sportbike=cool?
Chrome does not dictate HOG !!! in any language.

Chrome is just a nice shiny add on to whatever bike you have. I just went riding with a local guy here named Macmode, and he's got several parts on his new '05 already chromed out, in addition to his rims, and I was just like......damn, that's nice. Not too much, just enough to add some flavor to the stock bike.

Chrome is not for just a cruiser, it's all a matter of opinion really.
Not everything done to a bike is required to make it faster IMO.
Carbon fiber or chrome, it's just for looks, and we all know it.

there are alot of people chroming there street bike here in michigan. you get a busa chromed or any other bike and if a stock bike is next to you people wont even look at the stock bike.its just for looks it will get alot more complements than any stock bike out there.im not saying chroming the whole bike but it does look alot better with the wheels done.

Ive got some carbon fiber pieces on my bike, and I have a polished swingarm,chrome tribal chain guard, and chrome rims,In my mind, its not too loud or gaudy,but If some one doesnt like it, thats their preference and they can build their bike just like they want,This one is mine.It wouldnt be interesting if all the bikes looked the same,I suspect thats why we're called individuals.

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120685483 -->

DSCI0022.JPG

{In my best Homer Simpson impression}
HMF High Mount
drooling3.gif

Anyways, I think chrome is cool. I saw a chrome kit for about $450 which basically covers most viewable metal parts on the bike with chrome fittings (look for "chrome alternative" or "plastic chrome" thread for link). I'm thinking about getting it until I'm able to get the real deal. I can simply remove it and sell it. Plus it a cheaper way of checking to see whether or not I'll be over doing it.

Ive got some carbon fiber pieces on my bike, and I have a polished swingarm,chrome tribal chain guard, and chrome rims,In my mind, its not too loud or gaudy,but If some one doesnt like it, thats their preference and they can build their bike just like they want,This one is mine.It wouldnt be interesting if all the bikes looked the same,I suspect thats why we're called individuals.
Personally, I don't like chrome. I strip the factory chrome off my cage and don't add it to my bike. NJ, nice ride. The high mounts look awsome. What undertail do you have?

We live in a visual society and we have to admit chrome looks good! I get frequent compliments on my baby now that I didn't get when there was no chromy chrome.

The guys I ride with who are serious curve and stunters don't care for any chrome except maybe rims only. They don't prefer the added weight.

Chrome looks good on some bikes, not so good on others. If you are going for the lightest possible bike, then obviously you don't want chrome. Most of us aren't gonna realize the full potential of the bike anyway, so a few extra ounces in the name of looking good isn't a big deal. I got a chrome arm and wheels, I don't think my busa is gonna be noticeably slower than a stocker......

Did someone say bling? Is this an oppurtunity to flaunt Lucy? You guys want to look at girls check this babe out.. LOL alittle bling but not too much just says it all, IMHO And for those that don't like bling too bad, Its like a pc, Mine to do what I want with her.. LOL

New_mods_to_Busa_002.jpg

Personally I spend more time riding my bike in the twisties than looking at it, and don't particularly care if other people look at it either.

My emphasis on care and attention goes into mechanical stuff (tire pressure, oil changes, chain maintenance etc.) I get maximum pleasure from my bike when it's running right (Zen and the Art of MM etc.)

Chrome is high maintenance. It looks great on other people's bikes, but I don't want to spend my weekends polishing and waxing just to impress the neighbors.

Personally I spend more time riding my bike in the twisties than looking at it, and don't particularly care if other people look at it either.

My emphasis on care and attention goes into mechanical stuff (tire pressure, oil changes, chain maintenance etc.) I get maximum pleasure from my bike when it's running right (Zen and the Art of MM etc.)

Chrome is high maintenance. It looks great on other people's bikes, but I don't want to spend my weekends polishing and waxing just to impress the neighbors.
I see your point about riding vs. wrenching, but it's not true. Chrome requires less attention than paint. Spray on some windex, wipe it off with an old t-shirt and you're done. Polish jobs, like my frame, are the ones that need constant attention. I just think a good looking bike is important, has nothing to do with the neighbors. I like to look at an asthetically pleasing bike, a little chrome does that for me.

So your saying because one has chrome he don't spend time caring for the bike? Oh come on..

I wish I had weighed my parts before and after all the chrome was done just to show how ignorable the weight difference would be.Its an electric process,for crying out loud, the parts arent dipped in lead.Like Mr Brown said it actually requires less attention than paint. I highly doubt that anyone would notice a change in performance due to chrome.
SHINE ON BROTHAS!!!  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|nyrican
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120712228 -->

edit.JPG

Back