***Need advice***

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
I'm really considering buying a set of BST carbon wheels for the Busa. I've done my reasearch and found that the BST's are pretty much bullet proof. I won't make it a point to aim for potholes or curbs so I'm not worried about the comprimise of having Carbon fiber over aluminum, although, I think carbon is a stronger product.

With this mod I'll probably be saving about 15-18lbs total of unsprung weight
drooling3.gif
. That is a very big selling point for me. The other is, just look at these wheels, they're incredible! If anyone has noticed my previous posts, you'll notice if its carbon fiber, magnesium,or titanium I want one for my bike.

Do I need these wheels?? Probably not. I'm not Matt Mladin by a far strech of the imgination, but I do enjoy the twisties alot and make ocasional trips to the drag strip. Do I wan't these wheels? HELL YEAH!! I like subtle mods on my machinery that take more than a few glances to notice. I'm far more a fan of the race look than chromed everything. Leave the chrome for Harley's and Caddy's is what I think.

I need to know what you guys think or heard of these wheels. Your opinions are important in my desicion. Thanks, here are a few pics.

Rear_Wheel_3_Quarter.gif

Really cool but iffy IMHO. Check and you will find out that they are not DOT approved and generally are not accepted to be safe, although many argue that they are. The clincher is that they are not approved for any sanctioned race organzation to date.

I would spend my money on a sweet forged magnesium set from any number of companies before being an industry guinea pig and risking life and limb. If no one will race with them, I sure as hell would not ride on the street with them (and remember that the design life of a "race only" product is not the same as a street product - so seeing as they are not even approved for use as a relatively short "race use" life, that makes the point even more imprtant).

Check out Marchesini or Mavic or PVM, the list goes on. Using carbon for do or die stress bearing compenents like wheels is for show, not go. If you do get them, do not plan on them lasting very long or get some really good life insurance (yes this is just MO - the choice is yours - you asked).

if u can afford them..go for it. theres quite a few people on different message board that owns them and they claim the wheels were good investment but a lil expensive.

Really cool but iffy IMHO. Check and you will find out that they are not DOT approved and generally are not accepted to be safe, although many argue that they are. The clincher is that they are not approved for any sanctioned race organzation to date.

I would spend my money on a sweet forged magnesium set from any number of companies before being an industry guinea pig and risking life and limb. If no one will race with them, I sure as hell would not ride on the street with them (and remember that the design life of a "race only" product is not the same as a street product - so seeing as they are not even approved for use as a relatively short "race use" life, that makes the point even more imprtant).

Check out Marchesini or Mavic or PVM, the list goes on. Using carbon for do or die stress bearing compenents like wheels is for show, not go. If you do get them, do not plan on them lasting very long or get some really good life insurance (yes this is just MO - the choice is yours - you asked).
I have to say that after all the research and reading I done on them (hell yeah, I wanted carbon fiber wheels!) I'm with EAK... I had to shy away. I can't remember all the points of interest on them now, but there were several good reasons not to go with cf for wheels. Do more research than just posting here. There was a mag not long ago that ran a pretty good write up on wheels, showing the good and bad of a LOT of different brands. Maybe someone will remember which mag it was so you can get your hands on a copy. I have it... somewhere. If I can find it I'll give you the info...

Thanks for your replies. I know that "race only" products are not as reliable as street. The BST's are TUV approved. TUV is the european standard and far exceeds DOT from what I understand. Like EAKBusa said,"there iffy". I feel the same way.

My other choice is magnesium. Its stronger and costs less. Here are a few pics. This is the Marchesini forged wheel that I like.

marchesini_forged.jpg

Dude NO WAY, Simple economics, just think about what a couple of grand would do for your motor... Then go get yourself some sweet forged Aluminum wheels, from OZ or PVM and spend the rest on some more custom parts or strictly on the motor.
While I agree the carbon wheels would be schweet you are going to loose a lot of stability, you'll be riding on wheels that will allways leave you wonderingabout their durability (Especially at 180+), and dang it obsessing about the weight of your wheels while riding one of the heaviest open class bikes made just doesn't add up. Save a little weight and get some forged Aluminum wheels, then spend the rest on the motor... Thats what I would do...

My .02...FWIW

Dude NO WAY,  Simple economics, just think about what a couple of grand would do for your motor...  Then go get yourself some sweet forged Aluminum wheels, from OZ or PVM and spend the rest on some more custom parts or strictly on the motor.
 While I agree the carbon wheels would be schweet you are going to loose a lot of stability, you'll be riding on wheels that will allways leave you wonderingabout their durability (Especially at 180+), and dang it obsessing about the weight of your wheels while riding one of the heaviest open class bikes made just doesn't add up.  Save a little weight and get some forged Aluminum wheels, then spend the rest on the motor...  Thats what I would do...

My .02...FWIW
I'm with Rev... I'm goin' with aluminum wheels... and motor parts.
wink.gif
super.gif

Dude NO WAY,  Simple economics, just think about what a couple of grand would do for your motor...  Then go get yourself some sweet forged Aluminum wheels, from OZ or PVM and spend the rest on some more custom parts or strictly on the motor.
 While I agree the carbon wheels would be schweet you are going to loose a lot of stability, you'll be riding on wheels that will allways leave you wonderingabout their durability (Especially at 180+), and dang it obsessing about the weight of your wheels while riding one of the heaviest open class bikes made just doesn't add up.  Save a little weight and get some forged Aluminum wheels, then spend the rest on the motor...  Thats what I would do...

My .02...FWIW
Rev, thanks for the advice but I got some serious $$$ sunk in the motor. I could drop more into it but I'm worried about reliability issues. My bikes dynoing an honest 205-210hp all motor. I don't want to push the envelope to far in that dept.

I think as much as I want the "carbonium" on the Bus' I'll probably just go with forged mag's. I guess I'm on a quest to find the most exotic and rare parts for the Busa. That explains my needs for Carbon, Magnesium, and Titanium. I'm looking to hard anodize some stock components too. At the rate I'm going I'll be sure to post the sheriff's sale details at my house!  
laugh.gif
  I just like what everyone else doesn't have.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: "spell like a 5yr old"|1075941947 -->

My .02...FWIW
Rev, thanks for the advice but I got some serious $$$ sunk in the motor. I could drop more into it but I'm worried about reliability issues. My bikes dynoing an honest 205-210hp all motor. I don't want to push the envelope to far in that dept.

I think as much as I want the "carbonium" on the Bus' I'll probably just go with forged mag's. I guess I'm on a quest to find the most exotic and rare parts for the Busa. That explains my needs for Carbon, Magnesium, and Titanium. I'm looking to hard anodize some stock components too. At the rate I'm going I'll be sure to post the sheriff's sale details at my house!  
laugh.gif
  I just like what everyone else doesn't have.
Well, then I'd still go with a Forged Aluminum just from a piece of mind stand point.  But if you've allready built the motor, Got it painted the way you want, have high quality brakes on it, perfected the suspension, and have all the gear your going to need?  Hell, go the distance man and get them badass carbon wheels...<---- I dunno either...

Back