***Need advice***

$3,300 w/ aluminum hubs and $3,500 w/ magnesium hubs.
Man thats a lot of money to invest in a set of wheels. But then you've already decided you don't NEED them, you just WANT them. I say if you plan on keeping your busa for life and can afford it GO FOR IT. Its not a good investment, but you're OBSESSED like the rest of us
laugh.gif

You have great taste is all I can say.
BT is right, the comparison is in the Feb 04 issue of Sport Rider.

The BST carbon wheels were the best wheels performance wise in the article.
Front wheel weighs 5.5 lbs, Rear @ 10.38 lbs.
They had the lowest Moment of Inertia of any wheels in the comparo.

The kicker is these wheels had the aluminum hubs, not the mag ones. So there is still improvements to be made.
They put these wheels on a GSXR1000 and hit the street of willow. Said it handle like a 750, with more accerleration. There were negative things about them too though.
If there is interest, I will scan and post the article.

Well, sounds like you've made your decision - just make sure you post pics when (whatever you've bought) comes home!

I know what TUV is all about, and if it's good enough for TUV, it's good enough for me. Oh, and for the record - GAWD THOSE CF RIMS ARE GORGEOUS!!!
drooling3.gif

$3,300 w/ aluminum hubs and $3,500 w/ magnesium hubs.
Man thats a lot of money to invest in a set of wheels. But then you've already decided you don't NEED them, you just WANT them. I say if you plan on keeping your busa for life and can afford it GO FOR IT. Its not a good investment, but you're OBSESSED like the rest of us
laugh.gif
Dez, I hear ya on the investment issue. Or the lack there of..
laugh.gif
I don't plan on ever parting with the Busa, and if I ever did I know I couldn't probably even get what a new stocker goes for. A friend of mine thinks I want to turn the Busa into a MV Agusta F4i. Maybe, because you can't get Busa performance from the MV. I'll probably go with forged magnesium.

laugh.gif

Dude NO WAY,  Simple economics, just think about what a couple of grand would do for your motor...  Then go get yourself some sweet forged Aluminum wheels, from OZ or PVM and spend the rest on some more custom parts or strictly on the motor.
 While I agree the carbon wheels would be schweet you are going to loose a lot of stability, you'll be riding on wheels that will allways leave you wonderingabout their durability (Especially at 180+), and dang it obsessing about the weight of your wheels while riding one of the heaviest open class bikes made just doesn't add up.  Save a little weight and get some forged Aluminum wheels, then spend the rest on the motor...  Thats what I would do...

My .02...FWIW
Rev, thanks for the advice but I got some serious $$$ sunk in the motor. I could drop more into it but I'm worried about reliability issues. My bikes dynoing an honest 205-210hp all motor. I don't want to push the envelope to far in that dept.

I think as much as I want the "carbonium" on the Bus' I'll probably just go with forged mag's. I guess I'm on a quest to find the most exotic and rare parts for the Busa. That explains my needs for Carbon, Magnesium, and Titanium. I'm looking to hard anodize some stock components too. At the rate I'm going I'll be sure to post the sheriff's sale details at my house!  
laugh.gif
  I just like what everyone else doesn't have.
Well, then I'd still go with a Forged Aluminum just from a piece of mind stand point.  But if you've allready built the motor, Got it painted the way you want, have high quality brakes on it, perfected the suspension, and have all the gear your going to need?  Hell, go the distance man and get them badass carbon wheels...<---- I dunno either...
Rev, thanks again for the advice. Everyone's been very helpful. I'll probably go with the forged magnesium wheels. I want to with Ohlins front and rear,and haven't decided yet what set-up I'll go with. I want radial brakes too, so I'm not sure if I'll go with a 03'-04' Gsx1000r front end and add my brakes of choice or use the Ohlins with the PVM adapters. The PVM adapter set-up costs an extra $900 bucks, just for radial brake mouunting points. So I will consider the Gix1k front end.

Rev, thanks for the advice but I got some serious $$$ sunk in the motor. I could drop more into it but I'm worried about reliability issues. My bikes dynoing an honest 205-210hp all motor. I don't want to push the envelope to far in that dept.

I think as much as I want the "carbonium" on the Bus' I'll probably just go with forged mag's. I guess I'm on a quest to find the most exotic and rare parts for the Busa. That explains my needs for Carbon, Magnesium, and Titanium. I'm looking to hard anodize some stock components too. At the rate I'm going I'll be sure to post the sheriff's sale details at my house!  
laugh.gif
205-210 on all motor! Thats incredible, must be one of the top 3 or so all motor Busa's out there!

What have you done to it?
What are you running in the 1/4?   Top Speed (GPS)?

How about a turbo before wheels?

laugh.gif
205-210 on all motor! Thats incredible, must be one of the top 3 or so all motor Busa's out there!

My next Busa will have a turbo. High 9's w/stock suspension. Never GPS checked but burried the needle on many occasions.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075998737 -->

DanMan1300R,

That is about average for a stock piston Busa with basic motor work.

Bump the CC's, custom cams, and a few other tricks. There are a lot of ALL MOTOR Busa's out there with over 230 rear wheel HP!

Grabntwist,

As far as the wheels! If you have the flow($$$$$) go for them. That is exactly what I want but don't want to spend the money on them right now. If I could, my hole bike would be Carbon Fiber, even the frame!
super.gif

Josh
blues.gif

One thing in favor of the BST wheels is that you can order a different hub for the wheel at any time. So if you sell the 'Busa or get another bike you can migrate the wheels over to your new rig. If you buy a normal set of wheels you would need to sell them and buy another set of the same thing for your new bike. So you have some investment protection.

I'd worry about the local shop damaging those rims when changing the tires. Ask them to see if they'd even try it. I've heard some shops won't touch them.

I bot the BST and for the most part it was a nightmare.  First the wheels came with the front bearing almost unable to turn over.  Lockhart said it just needed to be broken in. RIGHT!  Return authorization/paperwork fiasco another month down the drain. (all this started in mid Oct. 03) Finally got the wheels in late Nov and yes they are gorgeous and when you pick them up you about throw them thru the ceiling they're so light. I'm stoked. They get installed and they go flat. WTF? Soap the rims, no leak, pump em up, the front wheel loses 10psi in the time to check it twice. The rear is slower but it won't hold air. I said no way would I want to worry about flat tires on this bike (or any for that matter).  Get them off, NOW! When they were off the bike we soaped the whole wheel and the front was leaking thru the hub...yes all was going thru the spoke and out the hub. WOW! More return authorizations, red tape, Lockhart won't return calls, they must test the  wheels to see if they really leak and they do.
Another month goes by before I get some Marvic Penta II's. They are gorgeous, $1200 cheaper, hold air, and most importantly make the bike feel 50#s lighter. Much more flickability. Even rolling around the garage is easier. I've also been told 3 to 4 more hp to the ground.
I feel like it's a very worthwhile mod but the BST is definitely not the way to go.
Good Luck

I bot the BST and for the most part it was a nightmare.  First the wheels came with the front bearing almost unable to turn over.  Lockhart said it just needed to be broken in. RIGHT!  Return authorization/paperwork fiasco another month down the drain. (all this started in mid Oct. 03) Finally got the wheels in late Nov and yes they are gorgeous and when you pick them up you about throw them thru the ceiling they're so light. I'm stoked. They get installed and they go flat. WTF? Soap the rims, no leak, pump em up, the front wheel loses 10psi in the time to check it twice. The rear is slower but it won't hold air. I said no way would I want to worry about flat tires on this bike (or any for that matter).  Get them off, NOW! When they were off the bike we soaped the whole wheel and the front was leaking thru the hub...yes all was going thru the spoke and out the hub. WOW! More return authorizations, red tape, Lockhart won't return calls, they must test the  wheels to see if they really leak and they do.
Another month goes by before I get some Marvic Penta II's. They are gorgeous, $1200 cheaper, hold air, and most importantly make the bike feel 50#s lighter. Much more flickability. Even rolling around the garage is easier. I've also been told 3 to 4 more hp to the ground.
I feel like it's a very worthwhile mod but the BST is definitely not the way to go.
Good Luck
AAAssjani.gif
dayum!! I'm definitly going with forged magnesium, probably the PVM 10 spoke above. That sucks dude.

Anyone have a link for a wheel outlet?

I am looking at wheels now and wondered who/where to buy from?

They MUST be BLACK and not over $2k!

Thanks for the links!

Do you know what the stock OEM wheels weigh and what are the dimensions?

I like the Penta II's but I want them BLACK. I will probably go with the O.Z. depending what kind of price I can get on them!?!?

Saving weight in this area is the same as saving a ton of weight in other areas.Big impact,but big coin.Magnesium wheels,i blew about a 3 inch triangle out of one of those one day,needless to say that sooks.Forged alum is a great product,strong lite can be made to any color you desire and less money.Just a thought.

Thanks for the links!

Do you know what the stock OEM wheels weigh and what are the dimensions?

I like the Penta II's but I want them BLACK.  I will probably go with the O.Z. depending what kind of price I can get on them!?!?
Stockers I believe are 17 x 6.00 rear and 17 x 3.25 front. I'm not sure, I think I saw this on the net somewhere. I wanna say front and rear rim are approx. 30lbs. I don't think they make OZ's for the Busa as well. I've never seen them advertised.  Try the PVM's the 10 spoke are sweeeeet!

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076254638 -->

Back