BST Wheels

Info I've been combing through on Brock's site says the split spoke Rapid TEKs are winners! The front is a few ounces heavier but the rear is over a pound less than the next lightest BST rear which is the original design 6" wide rim for the 08-12 busa.

I cropped this together today. The Gen2 BSTs fair well in the lineup but I wish I could fit the 99-07 standard design front rim to my bike or at least the 2013-19 (I guess Brock was expecting there would be a 2019 busa). Ether that or I would go with a matched set of Rapid TEKs but the Rapid TEK appears to only be made for the 2013 and later bikes.

FRONTS
View attachment 1591014

REARS
View attachment 1591015

The R+ is still under consideration because I intend to turbo this beast one day. I don't like the extra weight of the R+ but the higher rating for static load bearing might be needed if I go to big boost. The Rapid Tech 6" rear has a much better static load spec than the 6" standard design...again, wish I could fit a 2013 rim to my 08.

There is also a BST wheel called the Black Mamba. There are no weight specs and it looks pretty heavy for a CF wheel. The Mamba has very good static load specs too.

The 16" front is out because it is heavier and also, I do not want to loose cornering clearance. I'll bet it improves turn in and reduces wheelies but at the cost of running the chin of the lower fairings a half inch closer to the pavement.

Yes, Brock is also selling Rotobox now. I don't think I can get used to those thick spokes.

Well---no not really. LOL I still am spending most of what I earn but that is much better than all of what I earn and then some. It is Beautiful country around here. I will post pics. There are some great roads but I have never seen so much wildlife on the roads in my life! Deer, turkey--I even saw a couple bobcats run across the road. High speed will be risky. There are almost no police but I may have to do LSR to even up the odds with all of these critters about.

I guess my only question right now is, "would it be practical to fit 2013-onwards rims to my 08?" Would I need to install antilock brakes? It looks like the rotor bolt pattern has a wider diameter on the 2013 wheel. Couldn't I just use 2013 rotors and forget about all the other antilock equipment?
Hi bro , just replied to your other post , but the '08 and '13 use the same diameter rotor , so the '13 wheel just has the extra bolt location for ABS ring , I am pretty sure . The latest BST should fit straight on , I would ring up Brocks and ask for sure . Any open bolt holes not used ( ABS ) could be plugged with aluminum fastener .
The R's I would think being heavy duty race , probably don't even have the ABS allocation , but they are the 5 spoke design . What a lovely way to start the year , with a spanking new set of the best wheels ever conceived !! :):thumbsup:

True , the Rotobox are lighter than the BST originals at least , and are finished off nicely outside the rim surface , and may even be shipped in aluminum box , but for extra $ I think . But , Rotobox wheels started out with some manufacturing issues , and quality control was not great by all reports I read at that period . Still would be a very nice carbon wheel , and though thick spoked , promise good strength , definitely a worthy competitor to BST , now things are all pretty well sorted .
[/ QUOTE
Rotobox Boost Issue

As much as I would love to own a set
the decision was made to move forward
with a set of CZ forged Aluminum wheels
at a fraction of the BST price .

With all the touring we do the
BST would just be overkill ,
and one could throw the extra
funds at TITANIUM HARDWARE .

;)

FYI I opened a second
savings account yesterday
for my CZ wheel slush fund .

May of 2019 should make my
order of Titanium finish wheels .

Last edited:
the '08 and '13 use the same diameter rotor , so the '13 wheel just has the extra bolt location for ABS ring , I am pretty sure . The latest BST should fit straight on , I would ring up Brocks and ask for sure .
Good to know both have standard rotor diameter but I was talking about the diameter of the bolt pattern. In the pics, it looks like the 2013-onwards has a bolthole pattern that makes a larger circumference around the hub, I thought to allow space for the tone wheel.

This is from Brocks product pictures. Who knows, maybe Brocks just show a smaller diameter carrier on the 2008-12 to make a visual distinction between the wheels even though there really is not much difference in real life. You know, "ACTUAL PRODUCT MAY VARY SLIGHTLY FROM PRODUCT REPRESENTED IN PHOTO"
rotor.crrs.busa.08.13.png

Here are a couple pics I grabbed showing the stock wheels. No real difference between the 08 and the 2013 other than the tone wheel. My guess is that the carrier is the same on the BST 2013 and the BST 08 except the 2013 carrier has a recess for the tone wheel to fit into and the three small boltholes to fasten the tone wheel to the carrier. That would account for the few ounces of weight reduction with the 2013 BST compared to the 2008 BST.
08.13busa.rotor.png

The R's I would think being heavy duty race , probably don't even have the ABS allocation
According to the pics, the R+ has the recessed carrier but who knows what it actually looks like in real life.

Interesting you should mention the possible elimination of ABS for race models. The Rapid TEK model rear wheel appears to have NO rotor carrier at all! Possible- the rear brake might be removed for some kinds of racing. Also, the elimination of the carrier might account for the extreme light weight of the Rapid TEK. From the pic, it looks like they have a CF spacer on the hub instead of a rear brake carrier. But that may just be a generic product pic.

Yes, I will contact Brocks about all of this. Already had one conversation and that is what has lead to all of these questions.

What a lovely way to start the year , with a spanking new set of the best wheels ever conceived !! :):thumbsup:
I agree!! I wonder if I should shouldn't stick to stock though. I will be making 300+ hp someday and I want to buy the wheels I need for that now.

The product descriptions include specs for static weight. Will a turbo really require a wheel designed to carry more weight?? I'd assume a turbo setup weighs about 50 lbs mostly carried by the front wheel. I would be exceeding the static weight spec by about 10 lbs with turbo unless I went to heavier a race wheel.

Responding to CycleCruza's video, 5 lbs off of his CBR wheels means he's got some pretty light stock wheels already. I agree, it is debatable if going to any aftermarket wheel will matter much for most riders on that bike. However, you gotta consider that this is not just 5 lbs off the bike; we are talking about 5 lbs of rotating mass with a very large diameter. CycleCruza could shed 25% of that by going to BST rims. Yeah, that's a lot of dough and it might not be worth it to most.

The busa's stock wheels gotta be at least twice the weight of BSTs and that is a lot of rotating mass. I would guess it's 35 lbs stock v 18 lbs BST. Still a lot of $$ for 17-18 lbs but you are also paying for the design of the wheel which has superior moment of inertia performance. I do not fully understand MOI at this point but it's a special characteristic of BSTs. Basically, they turn around their access better.

Watch half of this and it will make sense.

When all is said and done, it's my busa and I like spending money on it for anything that I think is cooler than stock. It's just gotta work for what I need it to do.

Last edited:
Yes , the actual photo differs from product because I run the '08-12 run of wheels and they have a carrier just like the pictured '13 BST . That pic of '08 BST is not even close to a wheel for street pattern Busa .
If you are thinking ahead with wheels suitable for 300 hp , I would consider the R BST , but that's me and my BST obsession , maybe some aluminum OZ Racing etc. , good luck bro !!

Just a little fact I discovered on Brocks site: all BST rear rims have a static load capacity of 550 lbs regardless of the width of the rim. The Black Mamba rear and the Rapid TEK rear both have ratings of 615 lbs. Does not seem like a huge difference in strength considering the power increase turbo can produce. I will report back on what I learn from Brocks.

Broks does not know if 2013- wheels will fit 2008-2012. The guy did tell me they sold a set of 2008 wheels for fitment to a 2013 when the 2013 busa first came out. Those wheels fit although they required some minor finagling. The guy did not know exactly what finagling was required. I assume if I do the same, I should be able to fit 2013 rims to my 08. Hopefully the finagling was how to fit the tone wheel to the 2008-2012 rim. That would seem to be a mute point to do the fitment in reverse, 2013 to 2008. Awful lot of money to spend without knowing what I'm getting into though.

Can't you return them if you don't mount them?
And compare the BST vs stock before mounting the wheel on the bike?
The only difference in 2013+ should be the threaded bolt holes for the abs ring.

Can't you return them if you don't mount them?
And compare the BST vs stock before mounting the wheel on the bike?
If there are no marks on the wheels and they can still sell them as new/never touched, I should be able to return them with just a restocking fee... but 15% restocking fee on 37 hun and some change is ~$550 + return shipping. :shocked: Nope those wheels better fit for darned sure. No returns unless it's Brocks fault, not mine.

The only difference in 2013+ should be the threaded bolt holes for the abs ring.
It sure seems that way. Why would Suzuki change the rotors or calipers? All they needed was the ABS ring and the sensor. All the brakes part numbers are different for 2008 and 2013 but I don't think the parts are different. Even the 10 x 70mm bolt has a different part number for 2013 than it has for 2008.

I hate to take a chance on this. There must be a shop out there that has fit wheels between 2008 and 2013 buses.

Broks does not know if 2013- wheels will fit 2008-2012. The guy did tell me they sold a set of 2008 wheels for fitment to a 2013 when the 2013 busa first came out. Those wheels fit although they required some minor finagling. The guy did not know exactly what finagling was required. I assume if I do the same, I should be able to fit 2013 rims to my 08. Hopefully the finagling was how to fit the tone wheel to the 2008-2012 rim. That would seem to be a mute point to do the fitment in reverse, 2013 to 2008. Awful lot of money to spend without knowing what I'm getting into though.

The '13+BST 's will fit on the '08 to '12 , because the rotor pattern mount and the wheel spacing is the same . The only difference is the abs ring mount or actual inclusion of ring , so that will be the area involved in fiddling . The Brocks boys obviously are onto other bikes nowadays , more so than Busa , so are not up to speed or are on holidays !!

The only difference is the abs ring mount or actual inclusion of ring , so that will be the area involved in fiddling . The
If it be just a mounting surface for the ring, that's no problem at all. Just don't mount the ring. If as you suggested the ring might be a part of the wheel, that might be a problem but I doubt even that would make installation impossible. It seems unlikely BST would make a tone wheel for their rim rather than keep the stock one.

There have been ABS Eurospec busas for years. I doubt they redesign the wheel to include ABS, they just added to it.

My hunch is that the finagling I referenced earlier was an ABS bust owner having to drill and tap holes in his non-ABS rotor carrier so he could attach the ABS ring. This should not be a problem in the reverse situation, fitting an ABS wheel to a non ABS Gen2 busa.

I'm almost ready to go with it. The Brocks guy said they might have drawings that I could use to compare measurements.

I'll keep you all updated. In the meantime, if you know of anyone who has actually swapped ABS wheels onto a nonABS Gen2, let me know. ...but I'm just about ready to pop for this. Seems like a good/low risk.

The Brocks boys obviously are onto other bikes nowadays , more so than Busa , so are not up to speed or are on holidays !!
I'm sure the bus and the 14 are still the main bikes Brocks work on but they try to service as many models as they can. If you're a BST dealer, might as well sell as many BSTs as you can.

yeah---wierd they would not be familiar with this dilemma though. The Rapid TEK for the ABS bikes has been out for some time. Think I first looked at them in 2013 as a matter of fact.

Maybe the Brocks boys are still on holiday.

Last edited:
Also, the elimination of the carrier might account for the extreme light weight of the Rapid TEK. From the pic, it looks like they have a CF spacer on the hub instead of a rear brake carrier. But that may just be a generic product pic.
Confirmed--it is a generic product pic. The Rapid TEK comes with everything need to mount and operate the bike/OEM. There is a rotor carrier as well as a sprocket carrier with the wheel and that is included in the featherweight 8.35 lbs for the whole friggin rear wheel plus miraculously, you get BST's highest static weight spec with that wheel!

If you are thinking ahead with wheels suitable for 300 hp , I would consider the R BST ,
The R+ is a bit heavier and has the same static weight spec as the Rapid TEKs.

I like the look of the Rapid TEK too.

Actually I think it's hard to beat the looks of the stock rims. They are perfect in appearance for the busa, IMHO.

The new design wheels look trick , and more importantly have the strength and weight benefits , I personally prefer the 5 spoke in looks more so .
The stock 3 spoke on Busa look great , but similar have been fitted to Suzuki 's since the very early '90's , and a change can be as good as a holiday !!
As for Brocks staple being Busa and ZX14 ... always going to be sellers of broad range of products , but I bet the new 1000's of all manufacturers are the future sale kings for aftermarket wheels .
If you pull the trigger on a set , be sure to keep us posted Mythos , good luck on a great deal bro .

Make sure you get titanium hardware...or they'll hate all over you, lol
I wouldn't dare install without Ti bolts. I'd go aluminum if I could but not real safe for brakes

HI. If you like 3 spoke wheels DYMAG makes them. I have a set of 1st gen ones. Anybody want them?
I'll check into Dymag. Looks like they have a 5 spoke CF now. I'd take your Gen1 Dymags but those won't work on a Gen2.

Back