chain & sprocket issues

wow.... dry , dusty.. and if that chain is only 900 miles old... they were a hard 900 miles.. I am going to vote for serious lack of maintenance.. and/or mis-installed...

You are going to need the bolt center off that sprocket (aftermarket) Greg at HPC hooked me up on the "Stealth" sprocket.. (and buy some chain lube and then use it)

Sprocket is most certainly junk.. need to measure the chain to determine if it is toast or not.. (would just replace it myself)

Last edited:
if you have under 900 miles on a new bike and your sprockets and chain are toast...looks like the set-up was done incorrectly or you never clean or lube your chain, which is what they will say to avoid warranty work.

Did you measure the pins to see if it is stretched out?
What was the problem symptoms that made you carry it in?

We need pics

I never cleaned or lubed my original chain on the '06 and still got 16K out of it.

I do the maintenance now.

I never cleaned or lubed my original chain on the '06 and still got 16K out of it.

I do the maintenance now.
yea but I doubt that the aluminum sprocket on the wide tire kit would have let you get away with that.. for all the hype about "lighter" I would never give up the durability of a steel sprocket again.. learned that lesson..

ok guys.....where to buy???? front & rear sprockets & chain....should i inspect the front sprocket first or is it most likely also need to be changed?

Especially on a big tire kit. Would seem as though it would put more pressure on the drive train.

also

(Ryan is 30 minutes from my house)

You need to count the links in your current chain as well... 112 is stock but am sure you need something other than that..

Attachments

• s.php?bfunction=showad&uid=100000&bmode=off&bzone=Adv_HPC&bsize=all&btype=1&bpos=default&ver=2.0.gif
    s.php?bfunction=showad&uid=100000&bmode=off&bzone=Adv_HPC&bsize=all&btype=1&bpos=default&ver=2.0.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 64
  • Schnitz%20Banner%201-2.PNG
    Schnitz%20Banner%201-2.PNG
    45.9 KB · Views: 65
  • p?bfunction=showad&uid=100000&bmode=off&bzone=Adv_Schnitz&bsize=all&btype=1&bpos=default&ver=2.0.gif
    p?bfunction=showad&uid=100000&bmode=off&bzone=Adv_Schnitz&bsize=all&btype=1&bpos=default&ver=2.0.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 73
be sure and ask if it is in stock and ready to ship before you buy.

ok now...let's talk sprockets....what type/brand...from which company...can anyone hook me up with best prices???

What wheel is on there? I will be happy to hook you up but I need to know what sprockets you are wanting as well as the chain. I would think -1 in the front maybe down -2 but I don't know what you are looking for out of the bike?

down 1 in the front,, get the same link count that u have (maybe 2 or 3 links more just to be safe) and be able to cut to size when you get it hpc gotcha covered im sure for sprockets and a good chain then install/ measure/ cln and lube

Rear sprocket is going to set you back about $90 no matter where you go for a tri-metal unit.. you can go straight aluminum but considering your parts availability issue I would suggest you go with either all steel, Titanium or the Tri-metal stealth.. Aluminum will probably need replaced again in under 7K miles..

Chain prices are pretty much the same where ever you go too.. Get an extra MasterLink too (just in case)

Need to know your current tooth counts on the front and rear too...

Call Greg or Ryan to start.. All the shops are going to be within a few bucks for such small items so shop it on service and how fast you can get the stuff... Look at the other sponsors and see if one is closer to your parents than the others..

i jus want really good quality chain & sprockets...so not to end back here too soon....900 miles....sigh

2 pins on a link the extra master link is a great idea id go w steel and a o-ring chain call hpc he'll get it to ya asap or maybe ck in the fla area as already suggested

think i'm goin to call my dealer to get the info

you will get correct info here.........

links means the metal part the sprocket tooth goes through..you have 2 pins per link.

Picture...............red is a link.............blue is the master link. Do not get a clip on masterlink....get a press type and you will probably need your dealer to install unless you also want to buy a chain tool (which is what I would do)

IMG_0711eeeee.jpg

Get you a chain, the sprocket is iffy, but I would replace front and rear for safety sake. Check alignment, and keep a close eye on the tension.

Back