Drive sprocket and chain question

leiker_1

Registered
As I have discussed in this forum before I am planning to change my swing arm in the next month. I will be changing the chain length at the time and have been looking into the different types and strength. I would like to upgrade to an EK ZZZ 530 150 link chain, but then the idea of the stock sprocket comes into mind. I don't want the chain to be so strong that it eats my sprockets instead of breaking the chain. Does anyone know the material of the stock sprockets? I know that the rule of thumb is to replace the sprockets at the same time, but the bike only has 5,000 miles on it so the sprocket wear should be minimal.

Stock sprockets are steel.
Chains don't eat sprockets either(when adjusted correctly), sprockets eat chains.
You also would much rather break teeth off the sprocket(s) than break a chain.
Broken chains tend to break engine case, as well as bones.:beerchug:

I just extended my 06 8 inches.. and ordered new steel sprockets.. have 17k on my ride. was curious on the chain as well.. the zzz is an x ring chain and everyone i talk to is saying oring style.. but the tensile strength on the zzz is 11,000lbs vs 9850 or less on others..ive seen drag chains at 10,500.. so question remains open.. what is best?

From the research I did the best choice for every day use is the EK ZZZ chain. The EK ZZZ X-ring is like an O ring chain but performs better and distributes the weight more evenly, and that is why they have a high tensile rating. The chain also claims to have zero stretch the first 1000 KM, and 50 percent less stretch over time than the typical stock chain.The drag racing chain is a high performance chain, but performs only for drag racing. From what I can tell from all the information out there is that the drag racing chain EK is for high torque and performance, but is probably loud, and is not that great for the average driving experience with a few radical moments.

Last edited:
I just extended my 06 8 inches.. and ordered new steel sprockets.. have 17k on my ride. was curious on the chain as well.. the zzz is an x ring chain and everyone i talk to is saying oring style.. but the tensile strength on the zzz is 11,000lbs vs 9850 or less on others..ive seen drag chains at 10,500.. so question remains open.. what is best?

An x ring is a type of o-ring. The x shape is supposed to be better at keeping grease/lube in and debris/grime out. Buy a good name brand chain that's rated for a big bike and you'll be fine regardless of o ring shape, proper tension, cleaning and oiling and you'll have a chain that'll last a good while.

I have used the ZZZ 530 on My hayabus twice, once on a 6 over arm and now on a 12 over arm, I can tell you that no stretch crap is BS both chains streched bad in the first 25 miles, or 6 passes etc. My new on has less than 3 miles and no runs and needed adjustment, all that being said it seems when they get a little wear and adjustment in them then they stop growing, so i like the chains, I have a 1441 carpenter motor and it beats them up but once they get some miles and runs they settle in nicely Brett

Back