chain & sprocket issues

highestgrade

Donating Member
Registered
i'm having serious chain issues....took the bike to a shop...they told me the chain is done & i should change both chain & sprockets. the shop told me it looks like the chain is not of good quality & it's already beginning to damage the sprockets. please advise me further on this issue asap. i'm doing a little under 900 miles right now. will post pics asap

Is it the stock chain? Stock sprockets? If they are already toast at 900 miles, you have some serious alignment or tension issues. Waiting on pics.

if you have under 900 miles on a new bike and your sprockets and chain are toast...looks like the set-up was done incorrectly or you never clean or lube your chain, which is what they will say to avoid warranty work.

Did you measure the pins to see if it is stretched out?
What was the problem symptoms that made you carry it in?

We need pics

900 miles on the chain or bike ?!?

If the bike is new it was a setup or lack of maintenance issue. Actually either way that was most likely the problem.

NEED: Pics, chain type, sprocket type, mileage on bike and running gear..

not sure of chain/sprocket type...roaring toyz swingarm,330 tire,4"over...milage 900...chain strecthed dramatically within the first 600 miles...everytime i wine the bike out on first, second, third...the chain will run slack dragging on the swingarm & i have to stop & adjust to pull back the tension...i'm on my last line of adjustment...took it to a bike shop to cut a link off...they told me the chain looks spent bcuz it moves about 1/8" off the sprocket while on the sproket...they also said that the short exhaust on the left throws too much heat on the chain contributing to the problem...i had the chain tensioned at bout 1/2" play over the weekend & it performed well...thought the chain finished breaking-in, shop said that's too tight...but anymore slack, when powering out i'll feel the chain slightly skipping on the sprocket...please help...request pics or any info....i'll see how best i could get it...i bought the bike from busaking...full throttle motorsports, michigan...they told me the chain will strecth alot within the first 500 miles..they built the whole bike & shipped. DEPRESSING

DSC00774.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

Last edited:
My wild stab in the dark, the chain adjustments were completed with the chain too tight. Saying you wound the bike out during the break in seems to back that. Sounds like you were unaware of how to care for the break-in on that chain / wheel / sprocket combo. Expensive lesson learned.

(btw I am not trying to be a jerk just offering my opinion.)

if you people think it definitly needs to change...please advise good heavy duty racing type chain & sprockets to purchase...i got my parents going to florida for a week leaving tomorrow....so i can order it for them to throw into their suitcases.....i'd also be interested in gearing the sprockets down

back up a bit from the subject matter so the camera can focus.. everything is so fuzzy it is hard to see much

if you people think it definitly needs to change...please advise good heavy duty racing type chain & sprockets to purchase...i got my parents going to florida for a week leaving tomorrow....so i can order it for them to throw into their suitcases.....i'd also be interested in gearing the sprockets down
I am a fan of the "Stealth" sprocket (tri metal) and the ZZZ chain.. a bit of overkill I am sure but I feel better with a steel tooth sprocket myself..

i only wound it out after my first oil change....about 600miles & @ about 8000 rpm...only to get the tire spinning abit...within the first 600 miles i had my shift light set at 4000rpm....in any case if it needs to be changed i need advise on good chain & sprocket brands & FAST

Steel sprockets and EK ZZZ chain.

Also you might want to step up the care of your chain since in a few of the pics it looks to be rusted. Not good, not good at all!!

the bike was parked for 3 months...whatever moisture caused the rust...it's only been riding for 4 weeks

Back