Chain / sprocket wow's.

Good info. I'm curious how much the steel sprocket weighs compared to the aluminum one you take off. I'm going to be using 44 and 46 for sure on my new Apex wheels. If the air is real good or I spray a little more nitrous I may want a 43. I typically wear out the aluminum sprockets in very few miles, but a pretty good number of passes.

Reactions: c10
Good info. I'm curious how much the steel sprocket weighs compared to the aluminum one you take off. I'm going to be using 44 and 46 for sure on my new Apex wheels. If the air is real good or I spray a little more nitrous I may want a 43. I typically wear out the aluminum sprockets in very few miles, but a pretty good number of passes.
My steel Supersprox is 1.14 lbs.

Aluminum sprockets are the go for an expensive lightweight custom wheel , who cares about the miles you can get out of them , don't know why you wouldn't , I got mine to lighten the unsprung weight for maximum effect .
When you tour @ speed parts that make 20,xxx are needed. Plus a wife who gets a wee testy on purchase of things to often.
The rear tire is outlasting the sprocket lol.
I remember my Renthal hard anodized sprockets making nearly 15,000 miles .
Vortex junk make 3 to 5 thousand.
It's a real trade off Andrew. Like cruise control 5 pounds . Its worth its weight.
I may pick up a Renthal in the future, and see if there still as good as remembered.

When you tour @ speed parts that make 20,xxx are needed. Plus a wife who gets a wee testy on purchase of things to often.
It's a real trade off Andrew. Like cruise control 5 pounds . Its worth its weight.
I may pick up a Renthal in the future, and see if there still as good as remembered.
I guess I still think like a single fella , yeah , that is what I mean about keeping the bike nice to ride on the street , like keeping things on it . I got a 45t K Factory sprocket it is 200grams lighter than vortex , exact same as the shiny one on the Busa ( that is 47t ) . Anyway , I want to probably use it on the ZX14 , if this other sunstar I got coming is a bit too loud...I am trying to keep things even visually , but it is getting a bit complicated .

When I bought the new OZ Gass R-Sa wheels, my dealer gave me the PBR rear sprocket,made in Italy.
The PBR Sprockets, are also used by Aprilia in Motogp. As you can see in the photo this gear fits Marchesini wheels. It is aluminum and has special hardening for motorcycles with high horsepower. I bought it for about $ 75, I'll let you know about its durability, at the moment I'm just over 2,000 miles away. Its weight is 455 grams..

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1651.jpg

@WuzzaCBXRider The output shaft is ok with no damage . The sprocket being lose basicly was not centerd on the shaft causing the LIFT effect every 180 degrees . Making the Pop sound . I took the wifes bike apart to view the sprocket up front , and its centered .

If there was noise, there will be wear. The wear will be proportional to how many miles you did and the looser the fit got, the more the wear would have accelerated. Problem with those spline fittings is that one cannot maintain lube in the joint for long and once excess play develops the wear increases exponentially. It may be insignificant, but the shaft will not have original OEM dimensions.

at c10, sorry.

the chain slack in your 1st video is definitely tooooooo tight.
losen it to minimum of 25 mm for single riding and 30 when sozia or/and luggage is on board.

a too tight slack distroys after a while
the front bearing "behind" sprocket (means motor out and opened)
or the bearing in the rear drum caused by the pressure to it by chain with no slack.
or both at same time.

the sound in the video, this regular dull clacking, makes me fear the worst that the main ball bearing (on the shaft) is damaged.
on top of that, you also seem to feel stronger vibrations in the footrest, which increases my bad feelings in addition.

a loose sprocket , on the gear shaft, in my experience, can never produce so regularly such a noise .
Yes.
it has a little clearance to the shaft,
but as soon as the chain is moved and these small clearance gaps close unilaterally, a possible sound generated by it must at least become very quiet or even disappear totally.

did you already turn the gear shaft only by hand, without sprocket and what happened then to the sound?

not yet? please try this and tell us the result.

i am crossing fingers for you and your cash.

Just saying, but I never trust an owners manual chain adjustment play. I always make sure there is a little chain play left with the swing arm fully extended, ( rear axle furthest away from front sprocket with the suspension compressed) Not easy to do it on a Busa, but easy to do with a few measurements and either a geometry calc, or a five minute Autocad drawing.

Are you using the “K” part number Vortex?

at c10, sorry.

losen it to minimum of 25 mm for single riding and 30 when sozia or/and luggage is on board.

or the bearing in the rear drum caused by the pressure to it by chain with no slack.
or both at same time.

the sound in the video, this regular dull clacking, makes me fear the worst that the main ball bearing (on the shaft) is damaged.
on top of that, you also seem to feel stronger vibrations in the footrest, which increases my bad feelings in addition.

a loose sprocket , on the gear shaft, in my experience, can never produce so regularly such a noise .
Yes.
but as soon as the chain is moved and these small clearance gaps close unilaterally, a possible sound generated by it must at least become very quiet or even disappear totally.

did you already turn the gear shaft only by hand, without sprocket and what happened then to the sound?

You should watch the videos and read the thread before responding.

yes Sir, mister 100% faultless teacher

at c10
did i not read something correctly?
did i misunderstood something?
if i did please excuse that.
This isn't an argument you want, trust me.
There is an old proverb, attributed to be Chinese, that says "It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Keep those words in mind as you write your responses to board members who have far more experience, knowledge and ability than you. You seem willing to jump in and help, which is a good thing, but you seem equally eager to distribute bad information, which isn't. You're new here, calm down, look around you and see where your level of expertise fits in with the rest of us.
Far from being faultless, my failures are what has made me better.

at c10, sorry.

or both at same time.

Yes.

In re: “did you already turn the gear shaft only by hand, without sprocket and what happened then to the sound?“

He did in the video and it was quiet.

When I bought the new OZ Gass R-Sa wheels, my dealer gave me the PBR rear sprocket,made in Italy.
The PBR Sprockets, are also used by Aprilia in Motogp. As you can see in the photo this gear fits Marchesini wheels. It is aluminum and has special hardening for motorcycles with high horsepower. I bought it for about $ 75, I'll let you know about its durability, at the moment I'm just over 2,000 miles away. Its weight is 455 grams..

View attachment 1609222

View attachment 1609223

View attachment 1609224
I have run them on last Gixxer 11 , they were fine on that bike , your one looks even better anodized color to what I remember .

Back